Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If only there was a dedicated Manchester United thread where we could post and read pages and pages of a circular argument about ETH and Sancho.... If only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I didn't realise non United fans weren't allowed to discuss United players. I do apologise, you can get back to discussing this weekends Premier league games now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Washed up at 23!

If I had to blame someone with the limited behind the scenes we know Sancho would be the one but the dude is (23 and) off to Dortmund who are still in the CL and earning a reported 300k a week while he does. I'd hardly call that the position of a washed up player.

If he wants to leave United on a permanent deal before 2026 he may have to accept lower wages elsewhere or united will have to pay him off but if his loan spell goes well at Dortmund I am sure other sides will be happy to take him off Utd's hands at a massively reduced rate in the same way Dortmund are.

I've seen reports ranging from Dortmund paying Utd 3m in total (wages included) for the loan or that they are only willing to pay 1/3 of his wages during the loan spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

How could BD pay 3m if that includes wages? He's on 350k a week or thereabouts so 3m would only cover around 2.5 months, assume its 3m fee plus his full salary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nope, 3m (though ice read 4m this morning) is their reported total contribution including fee. So yeah, a small percentage of his cost to United for the next 6 months.

Worse was the talk of a 26m option agreed, which is be furious about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dortmund won't be paying anyone those sort of wages because it'd blow there wage structure apart and creat an issue in the squad.

United will most likely be paying Sancho's wages and Dortmund will give them a loan fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The £26m option might make a lot of sense for ManU. Sancho was bought for approx £75m on wages of £350k a week. By 1 July 2024 there will be 2 years remaining on his contract and his book value will be approx £30m. So his P&L hit for United will be £33m per year (15m transfer fee amortization and 18m wages) for the following two years . So a P&L loss of £4m on the transfer fee (book value 30m less fee 26m) versus a total P&L cost of £66m if he stayed for the next 2 years would leave £60m to spend on other players who might contribute.

‘From Dortmund’s (or anyone else’s) perspective, I would guess the highest salary they would pay him would be about £150k. That means if he’s sold in the summer he would be due compensation between that and his United contracted salary of £350k, ie about £20m for the 2 years. So if Sancho would still be regarded as a £45-£50m player, it may make sense that a team pays £25m-30m to ManU and £20m compensation/signing on fee to Sancho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The idea of United paying Sancho more than Dortmund will pay United is a bit far fetched I think.

Also his wages are clearly getting the standard United over inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Didn't Man Utd pay something very high like 75% of Alexis Sanchez wages while he was on loan at Inter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Not too far fetched if the "insider" information is true. Dortmund pay £100k and Man. Utd. pay £150k. I would take half that for not playing, for anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He's washed up.

Yes he's earning a fortune but as a professional player he will achieve very little - if anything - going forward. He's had issues wherever he has been and that isn't going to change at this stage. He may have the money but he'll go through that in no time as well because he hasn't a brain in his head.

All the skill in the world but doesn't have the personal skills to use his talent. A bit of self-reflection wouldn't go amiss.

The guy is toxic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Don't know if I would go as far as washed up just yet given his age but he's heading down the road of wasted talent very quickly.

He can still make a decent career out of it, but the level he should have got to and the level he will reach will not be the same. And the difference will be attitude, unfortunately.

I'll bet he goes back to Germany and looks decent again - hopefully, decent enough to get a sale in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Eric Dier to Bayern Munich was not on my transfer window bingo card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Not really far fetched. There have been examples in the past of zero loan fee and new club not paying all the salary so old club still out of pocket even with the player not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dier was playing most games under Conte and Jose. I suppose the issue is that he lacks pace to play under Postecoglu’s system. That much space in behind would expose him.

Post edited by doc_17 on

All he has to do so is stay out of Nuerr's way, he'll be keeping that area swept clear.

So Henderson and Firmino apparently looking to leave Saudi Arabia already and both linked with a move back to the Premier League. Think Fulham have been linked with Firmino, would be an outstanding signing if he could play 30 PL games a season. He is only 32.

Timo also coming back to the PL. Spurs have a €20m clause built in for the summer. That could work out well as I think he’s a little better than most give him credit for.

He's gonna need to dust off those rainbow laces...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Been gearing this but haven't seen a reputable source. I think Hendo burnt too many bridges when he sold out - he'll stick it our for the money and then retire. Not sure what Firminio's motive would be

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Verner could be a really good deal for Spurs, his speed and energy should suit their game. If the deal/numbers add up they should go for it, should be plenty of Football in him.

Firmino in the right team is a really brilliant player, a brilliant work ethic and seems to be an all around positive influence in the dressing room. He never relied on raw speed and has had a good injury record, so again, depending on the terms, he could be a good addition for maybe 18 months more.

Henderson burned a lot of bridges among Liverpool fans, but even taking his hypocrisy out of the equation his usefulness was waning fast at EPL level. He really relied on his energy and ability to cover ground, and losing some of that, along with injuries and wear and tear meaning his ability to play lots of games in a short space of time is a problem for him. He'd be of limited use to anyone really, especially if he expects a big wage, even at close the level of his last Liverpool contract,lwt alone to his Saudi contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If Henderson does come back to the PL he better have a thick skin. The abuse he will get will be tough. I can see Firmino fitting in but any club looking at Henderson would be taking a big PR risk.

Paul Joyce one of the most reliable around, if not the most reliable, and he is reporting it. He doesn't tend to do speculation or transfer nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Henderson crawling back would be hilarious. What a disastrous PR holiday that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Celtic or Rangers would be ideal for Henderson now.

You'd assume that B-Rod would have the direct line. But theyd also be paying him in penny sweets relative to what he sold out for in Saudi

• Advertisement

The grass isn't always greener, eh.

Hopefully the Saudi league falls apart

Yeah, the most Celtic could pay Henderson would only be about 20% of what he was on at Liverpool. He’s made his bed and he might as well sleep in it now.

I wonder has Southgate said something about his place in the Euros being under threat, seeing as he's playing in a makey up competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

With all England's riches, surely Henderson's availability is the least of their problems?

Rice-Bellingham

Saka-Palmer-Foden

Kane

Is as good as anything around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Southgate doesn't care if you're playing or not. If your name is Maguire, Pickford, Phillips or Henderson you can be in the squad even if you're not playing or playing really poorly.

Also Madison will be in the 10 spot when he's back but arguably Bellingham has been superb playing in that spot and it's probably Foden best position as well.

• Advertisement

With all those players there, Henderson is important to have in the dressing room and around training. Whatever about his transfer and his current playing ability. His leadership qualities are still there. He wouldn't be starting games though, agreed.

Kane is not a leader. It was well known that Henderson did all the off the pitch stuff integrating new players to the England squad even while Kane is captain. Kane is a fake captain really. The rest are young and/or nowhere near leaders apart from Rice. You need more than 1 leader in a squad in a tournament.

Sounds like they should make him a coach then, if what they really want is a big brother for the kiddies.

Leadership is a funny thing though, you need to have a talent for it but it also needs to be earned. And when earned it can then be lost.

For example, a Liverpool captain can be a strong leader that younger players will defer to. But a guy who ditched his values when tyrants waved a cheque in his face? That puts somewhat of a different flavour on his leadership. I wonder how much they will defer to him now?

I wonder has something changed in that though, with these reports of Henderson looking to go back to England.

Someone in the coaching team should be able to manage all of those things though, no need wasting a player doing it.

International teams always bring those type of players to tournaments.

Whatever about his transfer, but the amount of work he has done behind the scenes over the last 5 years shows how much respect he earned and commands from his peers. Far more than any Saka or Foden or Shaw would have for example irrespective of him taking the Saudi coin. Plenty examples, including being the person to introduce them all into the international set up. He was their first point of contact, even while he wasn't captain. That's true leadership.He's the one that organized all the clubs and players to give a portion of their wages to the NHS during the pandemic etc. Had to get all the players to buy into that.

I doubt that those players throw all that away because he took a transfer when they would do the same thing when they are 33, or their friends & teammates would. Rashford is best friends with Lingard and Sancho and look how they have acted over the last couple years. Do you think he cares about what Henderson done to make money when 2 of his best friends have either tried to do the same thing, or caused havoc while earning big money? All the City & Newcastle players are happy to take the money from similar tyrants but are outraged at Henderson doing it (albeit somebit differently). Doubtful.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was given na indication that he needs to be playing in Europe in order to make the squad.

Henderson is looking after himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Exactly, Henderson has no business in that squad even if he is playing in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Surely Henderson lost all credibility with his leadership skills by moving to Saudi anyway to 'grow the game'.

He'd be a waste of a spot anyway but it's Southgate and he doesn't care where you play or even if you play.

Again though, he was able to do all that work behind the scenes because he started from a position of respect and authority. He was a successful Liverpool captain so the players listened to him when he spoke, and followed his lead in the squad.

Not everybody can do that. Its like the old joke about a girl laughing at a joke from an attractive work colleague but reporting him to HR if the same joke came from an ugly colleague. Another senior player could try to do what Henderson did and the response from the young player could be "Who the hell are you to give me advice".

And maybe, just maybe Henderson can no longer influence the young players the same way he used to, because he is no longer a successful Liverpool captain, instead he is a washed up has-been who pissed over his own morals to go and play in a retirement league.

Interesting you mention Rashford and Sancho, who are exactly the type of players who would sneer if they thought the message was coming from somebody unworthy of their time and attention.

Henderson took a giant shíte on his own reputation by going over there as a poster boy.

Puff pieces clinging onto and promoting his previous well orchedtrated reputation are meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think people here are vastly overestimating how much Hendersons team mates will care about his move to Saudi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think it more like people over estimating the value of Henderson occupying a squad place. He's finished and most of the English squad know that

They won't care what Jordan Henderson does.

Right up until he is picked ahead of them or tries to lecture to them about, well, anything.

I think people vastly underestimate the importance of group dynamics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Group dynamics are important of course, but you're assuming these players see a moral issue with what he did, I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The people who think that players will care about Henderson are the same people who thought Qatar would be full of player protests and Pride armbands.

Players are shallow fickle creatures. They simply don't care.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

People are fickle. Regardless of their jobs.

Fans have shown plenty of times before that they'll quickly forgive shite behaviour if a player scores a goal. If Henderson did come back to Liverpool (I know he won't), and scored a winning goal against City to win the league, he'd be applauded just as he would have before his move.

Rooney trying to force a move/more money by threatening to go to City, many other players who do the same, any City/Newcastle fan trying to justifying their owners etc...

Peole are fickle.

But I didn't think that about Qatar at all. Not even a little bit. So you are wrong immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Yes but Henderson was heavily invested in his "Good Guy" shtick. With how he spent years putting himself forward as caring about LGBT/NHS/basically anything that was a positive photo op.

Then he completely forgot that image he'd been carefully creating to get cash quick, only to now crawl back.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Saka has been dreadful for a good few weeks now while Havertz is a disaster.

Don’t see Arsenal challenging City and Liverpool unless they sign a goal scorer this window.

• Advertisement

The Liverpool LGBT fan groups that publicly admonished him for turning his back would be unlikely to...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement