Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Agreed but a simple system of the RVMs taking any bottle or can can't be hard to implement

How's it going to work at airports? If you buy in Ireland for consumption abroad do you still pay the levy despite having no chance to return the product?

One thing I am glad about for this system is a lot of the craft breweries might scrap their cans and go back to selling in glass bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That depends on the RVM. The Rewe one I used a few weeks ago rejected them and pushed them back, you had to put them in the bin beside yourself. Which is what is going to happen here I believe.

The German scheme is very patchy with only plastic bottles being universally refundable; glass being refundable if the shop sells that type only, and many different deposits depending on what type it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

For the schemes to allign you would have to have all RoI producers registered in GB not just NI, and vice versa. It is doable but it is not simple at all and it might well cost far more than it would be worth to implement. There will be some level of co-operation for sure though. Encouraging the UK system to use a compatable IT / data collection system would be a big help. In reality at this stage the UK scheme is going to be 2026 and possibly 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,651 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, I bought two cans of Vocation beer in the local Molloy's about a week before Christmas, one had the logo one did not.

Ironically they're a UK brewery...

and I told the mrs. not to crush the can, and I put it separately from the others, but she still did! 😱

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Could they not just barcode the bottom since it wouldnt get crushed? (at least for cans) and maybe the bottle cap for bottles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Quote Stem:

It'll be interesting during the transition period to see if there are the same drinks on certain shelves, some with the logo and some without and selling for less

Something selling for less. In Ireland. You must be new here. Welcome to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The reason they want intact containers isn't just about reading the barcode. First up, part of the validation process the machine does to recognize what container it has is a visual inspection and comparison against a database. This (among other reasons) is to prevent people putting a 2L barcode onto a 500ml bottle, to get extra refund. So the machine will actually look at the bottle and be able to tell that it's a 2L one. It couldn't do that if it was crushed.

The other reason is that they want the machines to crush the containers themselves, which effectively invalidates the container for any future deposit refund. The last thing they want is people breaking into supermarket or recycling centre yards and stealing bin loads of returned containers, only to run them though the machines a second time for a healthy profit. Requiring them to be intact, and then crushing them on receipt. eliminates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back in the old deposit days, kids swiping empties from the back of shops and then bringing them back *to the same shop* was fairly well known so yes, they would want to make sure there's no risk of that.

Its mentioned in at least one of the Ireland-of-the-past memoirs, not sure if Bill Cullen or Frank McCourt or someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is that a known significant problem in other countries or a tiny percentage of the returns?

• Well explained.

Not saying I welcome the scheme personally.

• Advertisement

I don’t know, but I do know that the German system, for example, is quite different to ours, in that they have some specific reusable plastic bottles on the market that need to be taken in and stored fully intact in order to be refilled (multiple times), as well as one-use recyclable containers. So their requirements for intake, processing and storage will be quite different to the Irish system.

Joe Duffy has already run a few assasination pieces on it. Being Joe, they were full of more inaccuracies than your average 5 year old.

Apologies, i misread your signature as your post.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

The first point I think they could counter by weight, a crushed anything weighs the same as the uncrushed version, but yeah I guess security would be a valid problem.

Its going to have to drive some change as some bottles (LIDL spring water for example) are effectively designed to crush at home when empty, they barely hold up under their own weight the plastic is so thin. Will there a different rate for thin 2L vs thick 2L? Seems like it should be based on the amount of plastic involved rather than the containers volume?

Most producers are moving to lightweight to as great a degree as they can. For cost and emissions reporting reasons.

It would be a nightmare trying to vary the deposit based on weight. The main reason for the variable deposit was to reduce the impact on multipack sales. The original concept was for a single deposit at about 20c.

The machines will weigh the containers, but it’s to check that they’re empty.

Edit: Here's the specification document for the RVMs https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/DRSI_CLG_RVM_Specification_V1.0.pdf

They will do

• Barcode Recognition (to determine that the container is registered as part of the scheme)
    • Weight detection (to determine that the container is empty)
    • Metal detection (Aluminium or Steel)
    • Basic Shape Recognition
    • Silhouette Shape Recognition

The machines must be able to validate that the container as identified by the barcode is indeed that container. They must also be ablate identify if the container is attached to something, or is travelling out of the machine, and therefore reject the transaction. Think of Top Cat's coin on a string.

Well I presume the barcode would take care of variable weight of the bottle?

Seems like it would just be easier to break into the machine and steal the blank vouchers :)

Yeah, it’ll be a separate deposit on each can, so you’ll have to mind them.

I assume the receipts will have a unique barcode each, so they become invalid when used, like Dunnes vouchers. Also, they’ll only be valid in the shop that hosts the RVM. It’s possible that (for example) Tesco ones will use a different identification system and look completely different to Aldi ones.

A nightmare from a consumer understanding perspective. Consumers find it hard to work out why the difference would be between products that ostensibly look the same. I've spent a fair bit of time on this and I dont think any scheme is working on bottle weight.

Also worth noting, a weight barrier could in theory bias against carbonated drinks as still drinks do not require the same bottle density. The thinner the bottle the greater the chance of carbonation loss more quickly.

It's that from some official documentation or your own interpretation? I can only see a general statement on validating the container and the only specific stuff on being able to scan the barcode.

Seems like overkill on validating a specific container. The more stringent you make a scheme like this the more user unfriendly you make it which will impact its effectiveness. I see nothing to suggest that fraudulent barcodes on invalid containers is a big problem in other countries, and since other countries are being held up as the gold standard for this it would be weird if we're inventing our own problems to solve.

• Advertisement

I assume that , on error, the machine still accepts the bottle/can and you just dont get the credit, otherwise everyone of these places is going to look like a kip in about 2 days as there is no way people are bringing failures back home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

What about people with mobility issues? Or people with no transport? Such as myself.....I crush all my cans and plastic bottles and put them in my recycling bin. I pay for the service of course same as everyone else.

But now I have to pay extra for my cans and bottles, and I've no hope of transporting them all and getting my deposits back! Unless I quickly drink my can of fizz/bottle of water and throw it back in then it's just costing me extra and that's it! Or I could fill my bin bag, throw it over my shoulder, and go on my mobility scooter to drop them off, I think it's a bit unfair really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I guess the simple solution would be to equip delivery drivers for the supermarkets with with a scanner.

Did you read the PDF I link to in my post? That’s the official requirements document for the RVMs, and it contains everything I mentioned about container validation.

I see that now thanks, I didn't realize Adobe Reader only showed me the first few pages last night.

I see this requirement to have the details of each container in the master container file being a nightmare in practice. Every machine from every manufacturer needs an up to date file or else newly released products are going to be rejected. Each drink vendor in the market is going to have to supply the details of what their container looks like to each machine manufacturer, and apply for and receive a unique barcode from what is essentially a government organisation before they can release their product, and the machine manufacturers are going to have to roll out updates in a timely fashion. This is no easy feat, and repac being at the centre is this isn't going to speed up matters. It's another cost and administrative burden to small drinks producers which will stifle innovation, they'll all revert to glass or use a standard shaped container, which hopefully can use the same barcode across products from different suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Are you sure on that? Handy way of getting rid of unwanted containers, just shove them into the RVM

Actually, Re-Turn is expressly NOT a Government organisation. The legalisation (https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/599/made/en/print) required the drinks producers to establish and operate the scheme themselves:

4.  (1) Producers shall establish a Deposit Return Scheme (hereafter “the scheme”) to operate in respect of in-scope bottles, in-scope containers and in-scope products.

Re-Turn is what they came up with.

The general targets and scope are in the legislation, but the nuts-and-bolts of how it is operated (such as how the containers are identified by the machines) were defined by the industry itself.

When I looked them up before I saw they shared an address with Repak which I thought was a quango so good to hear they're not, hopefully that helps. Still it's an extra step in the development of a product, we'll see if it has an impact.

On the whole, the scheme is not going to be accepting containers that don't meet the requirements.

There is some scope for the RVMs to accept "non-scheme containers" (and not pay back a deposit), but this has to be agreed with the operators on an individual basis, and they will still go though the weight/visual inspection against the Container Masterfile.

RVMs may accept non-scheme containers if agreed in advance with DRSI. Approved non-scheme containers will be added to the Container Masterfile. Non-scheme containers will automatically carry a deposit of €0.00. (Source: he RVM spec document).

Here's a selection of relevant quotes from the RVM spec document (I linked to previously) regarding rejecting containers:

• "If a container is identified as not empty, the container should be rejected."
    • "The compactor should destroy the barcode and all compacted containers should be rejected when attempted to be returned again."
    • "Every successful and rejected container represents a transaction, both of which must be registered and reported."
    • "Rejections must be tracked and reported for each RVM. Rejections represent failed transactions and attempted deposit redemptions. This provides value for identifying fraud."

Maybe smart establishments will put a general recycling bin nearby if it becomes an issue, but ultimately, it's up to individuals to dispose of their own waste legally and responsibly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Some machines have an additional opening for depositing rejected items. I've seen one such in one of my local Aldi stores.

In other cases, a regular bin will be located in proximity for disposal of rejects.

We're not reinventing the wheel here, what's being rolled out is exactly in line with what operates in many other countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement