Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That's some amount of spin to come to that conclusion. What this war has conclusively shown is that Russian weaponry is no match for the west's overall.

If Russia ever find a way to combat the Patriot missile system I might go some way to agreeing with you. That would be a game changer. As it is we see over the skies of Kyiv their missiles are about as effective as Saddam's scud missiles were. The vast majority of their drones and missiles are shot down . Also look what the western weaponry is doing to their navy in the crimea region.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Deub

But it seems to be on the card and not just an unfounded rumours as claimed on here by some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Unfortunately Ukraine is collateral damage to the US and NATO. Morally bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Considering it was announced it was going to happen it's not rumour, just people having the notion it was going to happen in 6 weeks last year was completely unrealistic

More issues in America sectary of defence Loyd Austin goes into for elected surgery and ended up in intensive care for 5 days and nobody not even Biden was informed he was incapacitated .

Post edited by Gatling on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

6 weeks. JFC, people were guessing 6 months, not 6 weeks. That was also the training timeframe.

The 6 months delay is with Danish F16's, there's no mention of the Dutch ones being delayed. So the Danish delay could be down to the F35 delivery to replace their F16's being delayed and not to do with training.

No the Danish government announced that they wouldn't be sending unless all of the training of flight crew's, ground crews, maintainers and other infrastructure was in place first, nothing to do with F35s .

I should have taken that bet that was proposed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I would think that when the f16s are in play in a large number they will target something meaningful and spectacular and say to the rest of the world hey look what we can do with them now give us more of them as we can use them properly and do proper damage to Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"Russia's military is stronger now than at the start of 2022 , a working alliance swapping tech and know how is now in place between Russia, China, Iran, and NK."

Any evidence you'd like to share to prove China is actually supplying military tech to putin? Just seen information about Iran and North Korean supplies but not seen anything solid about the supply from China.

Also just wondering how is his military now stronger after loosing the equipment recorded to have already been lost in Ukraine?

They could but I don't think they will unless they plan something spectacular for inside the Russian border but at the current flight operations they have already have the ability to take out Russian Radars using haarm missiles from their own aircraft, they could go after airfields in Crimea but that brings the risk of losing valuable aircraft,but I also get the feelings that individual countries will put restriction on what can be targeted, hopefully it won't be the case but I get the feeling that there will be restrictions put on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Very interesting declassified memo I stumbled on just now. If you think russian ambitions on conquering Europe were a recent putin thing read this. The absolute cheek of yeltsin casually suggesting to Clinton that russia just be allowed to take Europe with no US interference

Post edited by I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Any restrictions placed on Ukraine should only be complete common sense ones like ones that constitute a suicide mission or the Zaphorizhia PP and the most basic commons sense dictates that Ukraine would not do either, anyway. Otherwise, the jets are there to hurt Russia's war effort as much as possible, and there's no reason not to use them in that way.

We're long past the incremental defence argument of only giving Ukraine enough or letting them do enough not make Russia go nuclear. Russia will be using nukes under no circumstances regarding Ukraine.

Totally agree with you there but as we know from the previous years of this invasion other countries don't see things like that ,it will be interesting to see what weapons they receive with them ,I suspect it will primarily be Air2air weapons

What countries don't see it that way and what are they afraid would happen if, say, Ukrainian F-16s were blow up the Kerch bridge beyond repair or something like that?

Well, I was talking about the reticence to support Ukraine fully early on in the war for fear of escalating things into a wider conflict. I would say that fear has passed, so short of other countries sending their militaries into Ukraine or doing big attacks on Russia (bigger than the drone attacks and airstrikes which have already happened), Russia aren't going to do anything really beyond what we've already seen.

Looks like a Ukrainian mig 29 was shot down yesterday or earlier today with the pilot been killed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

Not with standing the Ukrainian gains in the Black Sea my optimism of 2022 has evaporated over 2023 and now my long term view is quite depressing.

Ukraine’s bravery thwarted Russia’s plan to decapitate Ukraine in the first few days but it feels like the west has missed a chance to end the war quickly by not fully backing Ukraine to win. The west’s slow drip drip has given Russia the time to get its war industry up and running despite sanctions.

The west might have a much bigger economic capability but it hasn’t mobilised its industry to match, much less over match Russia’s. Given enough time Russia will find ways around the sanctions. Add in its high capacity to absorb losses and suffering this could run on for years and years.

Ukraine has played a blinder so far but unless the west fully commits Putin will drag this out. A stalemate in Ukraine in the current positions is a win for Putin. Eu and NATO membership will be off the table, Ukraine’s economy severely damaged, all reconstruction on hold, millions of UKR citizens lost to other countries. This war will also allow him to continue lock down Russian society strengthening his grip on power.

If it quietens into low intensity stalemate, he will move on Georgia, Moldovia or even Belarus. (Don’t see him ever going directly against a NATO country but there are other countries he could target)

To Putin a stalemate is a win for him and a western loss. This will embolden him and other dictators around the world. (Iran NK, China are clear candidates but there are others)

I think this is a pivotal point for the free world and depressingly at the moment we are sleep walking into a new world order that won’t be anything like as peaceful or comfortable as it is now.

I hope I’m proved wrong and the west gets its finger out and turns military manufacturing up to 11 to over whelms Russia’s capabilities but I fear the longer this drags on the greater the risk of our resolve fading.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How easily people forget events of just 2 years ago. Pre invasion, the US was convinced Ukraine wasnt going to last very long. The US was also clear that they wouldnt intervene. The best they would do is give a limited supply of weapons to Ukraine of a limited nature.

After the battle of Kyiv, the tenancity of Ukraines resistance won over hearts and minds of the people of the US and EU and their governments were convinced to supply greater amounts of aid and more powerful equipment. Russia, meanwhile, showed itself to be utterly unable to fight a modern war and reverted all the way back to WW1 plus drones as a tactic.

The war has dragged on longer than the US was expecting. They are now in the midst of a political spending crisis and the argument that Ukraine spending can be cut in favour of other projects is gaining traction. Hence their reluctance to supply more aid.

It is also in Ukraines interest as much as it is the US to not escalate to a point of nuclear war or mass mobilisation with Russia. So her suggestion that there is a fear of collapse ignores this very real fear of escalation.

How all that has happened is now being retconned into a false narrative to criticise the US and EU is straight out of the Russian propaganda booklet. It suits Ukriane for this narrative to go around, if it results in more aid, but thats by the by!

The theory that Ukraine are being used as a tool to deplete the Russian army as you say, has no evidence to support it, vs the reality that other countries are providing aid and support, but that aid and support isnt unlimited and it is currently a political hot topic!

Lol .

Which ones like the military expert you claim isn't a respected military expert because he calls it as it is ....

Maybe a new hobby or account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

There is no win for Putin re Ukraine. It's a question of how big the loss is. The US recognises this and so the urgency to support Ukraine has diminished, which is really frustrating.

We all want to Putin and Russia sent home with their tails between their legs. Just have to wait longer than we would like IMO, the resolve of the Ukrainians is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Are people hopeful Avdiivka holds indefinitely after over 3 months of Bakhmut like attacks but very little gains? Will be a tough pill to swallow if Russia have to accept they won't take it and have to move their focus elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone old enough to enjoy them, they perhaps like me saw that "panorama" video and thought: is that a Command and Conquer mission briefing?

"Comrade commander, the west are buckling. We must destroy 4 power centers before our attack can start"

<Mission Loading>

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

Poverty rates across all metrics are increasing in all countries in the EU. Gerashchenko should be a little less flippant about it; the shift to populist and far-right leaders isn't a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

This shift isn't uniquely tied to poverty either. Huge levels of immigration from outside the EU was always going to lead to a rise in the right. Especially when policy makers have been doubling down despite public opinion wanting otherwise.

The same Russians funding Far right and far left groups you mean? Like they done in 80s to spread hopelessness and drive a wedge in social and political fabric of their self declared “enemies”

Our weekly welfare amount is already larger than Russian average monthly wage

You want to see poverty I recommend a trip to Russia where their concept of welfare is to ship off men to die in a mud hole for the glorious benefit of oligarchs

Agreed, we're pretty well insulated here. I had the UK, France, Spain and Italy more in mind, particularly the UK given the Tories exceptional performance in driving inequality over the past 15 years. And it's not just Russia that funds far-right idealogues and authoritarian candidates - the USA and China are quite adept at it too.

And that’s what that video highlights 40 years later the exact same rhetoric and tactics are being used by Russia in their war against us

Russia can’t win a conventional war against the “west” but it sure as hell is busy stirring **** up over here creating and exploiting various social and political issues in the hope the West collapses before Russia does, yet again.

• Advertisement

Causes of poverty are always complex and often contradictory. Immigration can be a red herring though, I think. Taking the UK as an example, most of their immigrants are either Irish, Polish, Indian or Pakistani - countries with strong historical ties to the UK:

Migrants in the UK: An Overview - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (ox.ac.uk)

Illegal immigrants to the UK are still a tiny minority but are used by the Tories to push quite an insidious agenda.

Most common migrants to Germany are Romanian and Turkish, both EU countries. France takes in the most from outside the EU; mainly from Africa and Russia. The vast majority of immigrants to France are working, whereas 75% of their prison population are French nationals.

We all know that economic inflation is the main driver of poverty. I keep reading differing accounts of how the sanctions are affecting Russia, which was probably the point of the original tweet from Belarus above. It seems like they want to portray the west as broke to deflect from how dire things are over there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement