Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

More evidence of Israeli war crimes

"subjected Palestinian detainees to electric shocks, burned their skin with lighters, spat in their mouths, and deprived them of sleep, food, and access to bathrooms until they defecated on themselves. Many were tied to a fence for hours, handcuffed, and blindfolded for most of the day."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

How many is that now? They can't all have been Hamas members surely. Either the IDF is grossly incompetent or there is some other explanation. Oh wait I have got it, Hamas were using them all as human shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

According to the Council of Europe, the intentional targeting of journalists constitutes a war crime.

Some of the journalists below were killed by Hamas, most were killed by Israel.

Committee to Protect Journalists:

"As of January 6:

Source:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It couldn't possibly be accidental - the sheer numbers suggest that the IDF is deliberately going after Palestinian journalists i.e. seeing them as an 'enemy' and a legitimate target.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm sure this will be spun as evidence of how the IDF their utmost to avoid civilians casualties when they carry out targeted assassinations of journalists.

They were told to leave Gaza and go here for safety, then Israel bombed them.

#warcrimes

• Advertisement

Thinking of some of the posts here and elsewhere. I honestly don't know how much someone has to be lacking in humanity, and/or filled with distain or hatred towards the Palestinians, that after watching something like that they can just casually come out with the usual comments like 'but they voted for Hamas', 'Hamas should have let them into a tunnel' etc.

Edit: just to save the usual suspects the time and effort; yes I completely condemn what Hamas did on Oct. 7th, it was barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People blindly supporting Israel here will just class that as spoils of war and not looting.

There's nothing that will make them think less of Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not commenting on posters here but there's a huge amount of Islamophobia on social media. I would guess the vast bulk of racist commentary in Europe is directed at Muslims, even more so than at black people. Black people are not liked by them of course, but Muslims are viewed as some sort of sinister existential threat to their lives and their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭SeanW

You are correct. It looks like, to summarise, you have two questions:

1. Why do the Israelis behave as they now do, and:
    2. How come they have so little respect in the international community.

The answer to the first question, IMHO is simple: absolute necessity.

The answer to the second question is more complex and I will try to be fair to those I disagree with, to convey their stances as accurately as I can.

Starting in 1947, it became clear that there were those in the Islamic/Arab worlds who would never accept any kind of Israel in the region, no matter its borders. Originally that was the entire Islamic world, but since then some countries have made peace and normalised relations with Israel (Like Egypt, Jordan etc) But there are still parts, for example Iran, Hamas etc that want to wipe them out. Iran, in particular, I believe, wants to develop nuclear weapons so that they can slaughter the Jews (and maybe also Sunni Muslims) wholesale instead of just in small numbers through proxies as today.

Another problem for Israel is that Iran has allies across the world, Russia, China, North Korea, Venezuela etc.

But these problems pale in comparison to its largest and most powerful enemies: the Western Radical Left. This group is happy to collaborate with the others, happy to repeat their genocidal chants like "From the River to the Sea, Palestine (a.k.a. an Arab country) will be free" etc. The modern/radical left has developed entire theories surrounding race, such as Critical Race Theory, which centres around theories of power, oppression and privilege. In a nutshell, it holds white people as oppressors and some others (like the so-called BIPOC in the US) as inherent victims of oppression, based on their theories of power.

In that respect, they cast the Israelis as "white" (even though that's not true as only a minority of Israeli Jews are full blooded European) and the Palestinians as POCs or People of Colour. To radically over-simplify radical-Leftist thought, it logically follows, from their view, that Israel is the bad guy, and that the Palestinians are helpless victims with absolutely no agency. That's why Israel's actions are presented as though they're happening in a vacuum, as if their enemies literally don't exist.

Ah, The Quds news Network, a Hamas/PIJ propaganda mill. Though I guess a Quds media post is a little bit more current than a re-run of Zahra's Blue Eyes or something from Der Sturmer.

Tell me, which "Government Media Office" are they quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

That's it in a nutshell. The amount of hoops they go through to defend every single thing Israel has done since Oct the 07th is mind boggling.

Oh as well I condemn Oct the 07th. Because you HAVE to condemn it in every post you do. Or you're an anti semite. Because not wanting thousands of innocent children to be killed is being anti semite.

I pointed out weeks ago they were bombing the f**k out of Gaza and was lambasted, saying its targeted blah blah. Its targeted at journalists alright. And over half of all Gaza's houses are now uninhabitable. So that is actually bombing the crap out of the place.

Now we see Israelis saying Gazans should live elsewhere. Watch the next few weeks and the somersaults that the usual posters will do to justify every single Israeli action of horror. Maybe they just have no empathy. Lastly I know theres wars on in Syria and Yemen. Thats not an argument winner, it's a thread about the Israel/Hamas conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

1. Why do the Israelis behave as they now do, and:
    2. How come they have so little respect in the international community

1. Because this is their retribution on people they hate. This is more than being about neutralising Hamas. In doing so, they are committing genocide and committing war crimes
    2. Because of 1

Schindler's List was on telly on Friday. Its a long time since I last saw it. The parallels with what Israel is doing to Gaza are very disturbing.

So "the Left" are to blame because: Critical Race Theory. You could at least try to be somewhat original and not use conservative American talking points to ascribe motivation to groups of people you don't like, especially blaming Critical Race Theory given that most of them using it as a stick clearly have no idea what it is nor have they ever read any of the literature.

Admittedly I haven't done a 4 year degree in CRT but I am loosely familiar with Radical Leftist thought based around race. Like I said, a full discussion of CRT and the Radical Left's theories on race are beyond the scope of this thread, but I do believe these concepts/theories colour (pun intended) the Radical Left's view of Israel and the Palestinians. In particular, that the Radical Left hate Israel for racial reasons no matter what they do or what their enemies do to them.

Allusions to racial concepts have been common on this thread with at least poster having brought race into it and you yourself IIRC having brought in "critical" concepts like "Orientalism."

• Advertisement

I only mentioned Orientalism because arguments you were presenting resembled old orientalist views on the Middle East and Arabs/Muslims. Also theories around race and inequality don't start and end with CRT regardless of wherever you are reading about it states, this is just something American conservatives have latched onto recently.

But you cannot deny that Israeli Jews are considered to be "white" (even though only a minority of them are full blooded European Jews) and that Palestinians are correctly considered to be brown/Arab. And you cannot deny that the modern Radical Left bases much of their theories based on race, although like I said, a full exploration of their theories, the terms they use etc. are beyond the scope of this thread.

It's not difficult to conclude thusly that the Left's view of Israel-Palestine is 'coloured' by their perception of the races of the people involved.

I think it's more around anti-colonialism that racially based theories, again you're making the mistake of viewing this through an American lens where these types of discussions are reduced to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

100%. Most leftists simply views Jews as "whites" even though very few Jews consider themselves so regardless of their blood. And of course "whites" must be held to higher standards than brown "people of colour" from Palestine.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Correct, Leftist concepts of "colonialism" are part of it as well. Of course, none of the people accuse Israel of being a colonial venture can explain where the Jewish metropole is. Since a colony, by definition, must have a metropolitan state, i.e. a single homeland for the colonisers, I've yet to see anyone explain which homeland Israel is a colony of. A mixed-race Jew in Tel Aviv most likely only has Israel as their home.

Israel isn't an empire, the metropole is the centre of an empire - it even says that in the Wiki entry to you linked to. They're expanding their territory by conquest/expansion. Colonialism isn't a "leftist concept" either, accusing anyone and everything you don't agree with or like as "leftist" isn't doing what it probably is you think it's doing.

Or maybe most "leftists" have a problem with mass murder of civilians, but continue on rehashing American-style identity politics, that'll really put the "leftists" in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,753 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

More often than not Israel is the aggressor and only because they can hide behind the US. After this war to try to paint them as the victim is ridiculous.

Yet a "colony" by definition requires a Metropol-Colony relationship. At a stretch, you could say that Israeli settlements in the West Bank are colonies with Israel within the '67 borders being the Metropol. However I think many of the people attacking Israel under the rubric of "anti-colonialism" do so on the basis of calling the whole thing a colony. But of what Jewish metropole?

At any rate, the whole "From the river to the sea" thing makes it very clear and this is a common chant on the Left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

American style ID pol has been wholly embraced by the Western left, so it's not outrageous to use such framework to analyse how the left may or may not view the conflict.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement