Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The GEM mean is very very good

And 7 days from now

Meanwhile,....

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The 12z ensembles from both the GFS and GEM are starting to look more clear and the GFS is overall trending milder than this mornings output with less snow potential and a pullback on the colder runs and getting closer to the ECM ensembles in that regard. GFS still going for a cold spell but a rather short lived and messy affair.

The GFS 12z upgrades a brief spell of Irish Sea streamer potential for this Tuesday. Something we may have to keep an eye on tomorrow.

The GEM has overall trended colder yet again and is definitely going all in for a proper cold spell. Majority of GEM members between -7 and -11C for a few days. Come on GEM please be right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ECM about half way through it's run and it looks like it may be trending towards the GEM! fingers crossed!

Clare (410ft asl)

ECM is looking very good. Get back on board Gonzo!

ECM superb up to 144 and then the high tracks a little further east. A.slight correction on this and it aligns much closer to the UKMO and GEM. Perhaps a Monday 00z correction will see to that. Much better run so far than the 00z.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes a huge improvement on the morning run, as you say let's just hope it's delaying the real cold air arriving. GEM still the pick of the bunch. Gonzo might be back on board if the GFS tonight sides with the GEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

It's not a big improvement if next week one is still looking at day 9 which I suspect we will be

Clare (410ft asl)

Wedgy/slidey time by the end of the ECM. All in all, an intriguing shift from the morning run but that is two upgrades in a row from the ECM and no sign of a raging Atlantic. Up to day 7 it is closely aligned with the GEM and UKMO. It's very positive from a cold outlook perspective as we have entered that more reliable 7 day timeline.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Well it’s day 7/8 on the latest ECM so… hopefully models converge on this proper cold solution now as we get closer. We are not looking at just day 10 fantasy anymore, and the differences between the models are appearing at just day 4-6. Still FI - but gaining momentum.

Clare (410ft asl)

The Korean (KMA) not interested in a resurgent Atlantic. It has cold arriving from Sunday

P

www.x.com/wolfeeire

How accurate is this model compared to the big three?

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

I don't know Nacho. However, it has been gung ho (is that Korean or Chinese?) on a cold spell from the 14th/15th since it came into range.

For what it's worth, I have always liked the JMA at this range for cold. Just waiting on its output now. It was spot on for the beast and 2010 spells

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 14 snowfan50

Is it not true that the GEM always has a bias towards colder weather so you can only take its predictions with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 snowfan50

Also in 2018 I think the Icon performed the best when we got that last big cold spell.

Clare (410ft asl)

I know its MTCs favoured model. Gem was not interested in next weekends potential cold until yesterday's 0z. It was showing much milder solutions when other models were going for cold. Either way, I just don't know which model is best for what anymore which is why I look at them all and try and form some kind of a consensus. I have seen those model performance charts that evaluate the main models at short, medium and long range and there is no decipherable pattern to them. If forecasting was a perfect science or if there was a perfect model, we would all be on the hunt for a different hobby.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

JMA presents a 4 day battle between an Atlantic low and colder air sinking south. The former eventually sinks south. A 3-4 day mess for some, a complete snowfest for others

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Holy moly. A 4 day blizzard for some. I know that's not what you are saying, but one can dream. I would love to experience a red warning for snow. I know there was one back in 2018 but I was out of the country then. What I wouldn't give to experience a 2 - 3 day blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I fear in that scenario I'd get 4 days of sleet and an hour of snow as the front retreats south while lads up the country are getting buried (thanks to Cork and Kerry cooling down the front sufficiently for ye). Bastards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Aye but the location of Ireland, always a bridesmaid never a bride has the form horse for the usefull cold to continue heading into Europe and onto either Athens again or I suspect this time not much further west than Paris or Cardiff

We'll see by this time next week of course where or how far out the cold is modeled

Clare (410ft asl)

Best snow event of my lifetime. I have the most amazing video of the snow approaching from a nearby mountain. It was a wall of snow sweeping toward my house. The kids and I stood outside and waited for it to hit. We had drifting snowing within two hours. It's for moments like that I look forward to observing winter weather prospects, moreso than summer. What's rare is wonderful. That's why I am very keen on next Sunday and Monday. It is very rare that we see these charts for the middle of January.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

2018 was mad altogether will never see it again. The low just stalled off the east coast and dumped snow for a good 36 hours non stop. Was class. I remember MTC the day before saying it would be like 1947 with internet. Maybe not quite at that depth of cold but amazing none the less.

• Advertisement

That's an awesome memory to have for you all. Fair play. As you say if we were guaranteed such weather every year it probably wouldn't mean as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Storm Emma snowfall was truly epic here in the East. We had great snow here in Dublin but I remember the photos and videos from Kildare in particular were absolutely sensational. It looked like an alpine ski resort. Those types of weather events and November / December 2010 are just so memorable to experience. Just walking out and about in that type of snowfall is just magic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement