Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

Reminds me far too much of the Picard intro, which is in itself flat and uninspiring. Granted the original DS9 intro is just a few beauty shots of a studio model, but with the theme alongside, it became part of the soul of the show. This, while obviously made with love and respect, just does nothing for me...it just feels empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looks great, taking a lot of cues from Picard and a few other shows tho

• Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's essentially the Discovery intro with DS9 imagery. Has no energy to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I like the intro, but could have done with a more sweeping and bombastic music score. A little too soft for the gravity of the scenes it was showing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

2024 Is a Hell of a Year in Star Trek History

A year of hell, you might say. But not that one. This is a different kind of bad.

• Irish Reunification
    • Global Political and Environmental Upheaval
    • Pretty Much the Entirety of Star Trek: Picard Season 2
    • The Bell Riots
    • The Advent of World War III ~ World War III breaks out two years later in 2026.
    • But Hey, the Baseball’s Pretty Good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That's excellent.

Real (intentional) Westworld vibe (And The Expanse as mentioned above of course)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, the Westworld vibes off the music is kinda insane to the point of shameless, lol. As to the sequence? Yeah it's lacking a degree of something but is very in keeping with modern title sequence. It's slick and impressive work; always amazing the effort and imagination "amateurs" put into these things.

Would Avery Brooks be persuaded to come back to acting? Seems highly unlikely though the idea of that mad bástard working in modern, prestige-era television kinda makes me chuckle.

Could be not far off the real 2024 the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

He REALLY comes off as a pain in the hole in everything you see/read about DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

83 now, will only be older again if the script is mature enough, the cast and production lined up, to start filming. I'd wonder if this is just the general slush pile of Treatments, cos whatever else Picard s3 was at the end - it was an end.

My favourite things in new live action Trek were Rois, Shaw, La'an and Chapel.

All new characters (SNW Chapel is a new character essentially). If we are not getting new ships and new crews I don't care anymore. Spock is the only real legacy character in SNW and it's no coincidence the episodes about him have been terrible.

I'm done with reboots and memberberries.

Traditionally, what makes Patrick "excited" in context of Star Trek, hasn't translated very well to the screen (First Contact aside.) Picard is a legendary, treasured character within Star Trek, but we've seen his finale, twice now, nobody wants more of him.

I would like to think we're seeing the cracks on the Legacy Sequel a little: Indy 5 was a giant flop, and the critical/audience reception to the Star Wars "hey it's that guy" shows have themselves been lukewarm to hostile.

At least the enthusiasm for the proposed Enterprise show is going forward, even if its captain would be 7of9, it's a start, if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Currently reading Patrick Stewart's memoir book "Making it so", I say reading, I'm actually listening to Patrick read the audiobook. I'm just getting to the bit where Patrick gets the JLP role. Surprised there were two figures who almost lost him the role. Gene and Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Just reading the same part myself.

I have huge respect for the man, as an actor and a person.

But it seems fairly clear he had a lot of creative input with the Picard series, and that made for **** viewing.

I don't want to watch a thinly-veiled Patrick Stewart who goes by the name Jean-Luc Picard. It's not the same character, it's not even the same ballpark.

I struggled through Picard seasons 1+2 through a sense of duty. Didn't even finish the 3rd and I know I'll never bother watching them again. Doubt I'll watch a Picard movie, and if they keep this up they risk tainting our memories of the TNG characters by the sheer amount of bad TV we now have to pretend didn't happen

Post edited by JayRoc on

I’d encourage giving Picard S3 another shot now that the whole season is available. It was a slogg mid-season, but I think they stuck the landing with the end of the season in a way I haven’t seen since Lower Decks S1 or the TNG era of shows. What ever input Steward had on S1 & S2 appears to have been removed/ignored in S3 with a lot of TNG elements returning. S2 itself appears to have been completely ignored / forgotten.

As for a Picard movie? No, that’s really pushing it. I’m surprised we even got 3 seasons out of Steward. Given, a movie is usually just the length of just 2-3 TV episodes, but we don’t even need to continue Picard’s story. How about they cover something else? Some kind of adventure with Capt. Seven and Jack Crusher? (while Raffi fecks off off-screen for reasons we don’t care about) Maybe even something at DS9? Would love to see a movie treatment of the station.

Not to change the subject, but I'm currently rewatching Lower Decks season 1 and I'm surprised at how much better it is, even the early episodes, than I recall.

Viewed through the prism of knowing the characters for 4 years, even the initial "Mariner's an irritating arsehole" episodes are far less annoying now and really quite fun.

I now consider it a very good season of TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Advertisement

I think the finale of Picard 3 is terrible. Discovery level terrible.

Not sure how you can "stick a landing" when there was no take off. We were strung along for 8 episodes of misdirection and then just thrown a stupid Death Star scene against a bad guy completely unrelated to the entire series.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That intro does nothing for me. Terrible music very Discovery like and the CGI looks crap. Would I watch a show about Sisko the Emissary do. Must definitely.

As for the Picard movie. That story has being out for a while. I think he is just too old now. He was to old at the beginning of Picard and is most definitely too old for a movie now.

A series on a young Picard would be much better. That I would watch if done right with a good actor as a young Picard.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

There seems very very few people out there who want to see more Picard, but yeah you're right, there are some!

The Jean Luc most of us know and love kinda ceased to be around twenty years ago. Action movie Picard took over, and that's that. That aside, I'm in the Picard Season 3 was great camp, and being relieved they didn't screw things up more than they did, I don't think we need to any more. The risk to reward factor with a Picard movie is just not at all inspiring.

What more stories can be told though? Sometimes we should just let characters walk into the sunset, let them enjoy their golden years in our heads and not drag things out.

Christ we even already saw Picard die. And even then they couldn't just let him rest in peace. Instead we've got simulant Picard who was inexplicably still an aged old man

We can always catch up with them as admiral cameos. Just don't have them leading the show and jumping round like late era unfit Stephen Segal.

Although you might not have liked Picard S3, and that’s a perfectly fair assessment too (especially compared to some of the best Trek we’ve gotten), by “sticking the landing” I’m referring to them actually setting up stakes, and pay-offs for nearly everything they introduced. The “Death Star” Borg cube may have been a but cliche, but the entire series arc was actually written to build up to that moment. That’s the type of writing discipline we not seen at all in Discovery or in Picard S1&2.

Picard S3 even has a underwritten theme of family and “passing the torch” between generations as we see with Picard and Jack. Even going so far as having Jack become “Son of Locutus”. The hadn’t managed a theme like that for ages.

Was is perfect Trek? No, there were holes. But was it good Trek? I think it was, and it’s the first new Trek in a very long while that I’ve actually rewatched.

Yeah admiral cameos are fine, was just thinking more about the prospect of a full film about Picard. 83 though, oof. The next few years may not be kind 😔

Oh and I have an immediate contention about your suggestion Stephen Segal was ever fit in the first place 😂

What about the entire series was building up to the finale ?

The entire series was an inconsequential ship in a nebula fighting changelings (who themselves are revealed through mystery with their weird outfits)

All we actually got to build up to the Borg was a few visions from Jack (who is a terrible creation who would be ripped to shreds if he was on another show) and one screen with the changeling skull communicator that is just never explained as a piece of tech.

It's exactly like Discovery season 2 where they build up this interesting story and mystery only to reveal it as a giant load of nothing and just a device to fool the audience.

That is outrageous .

Seagal was Aikido-Fit. There is no better kind of fit

• Advertisement

I gleaned an insight from Patrick Stewart's memoir (I just finished it) and I hope I'm not spoiling any details for anyone.

One of the things that stuck in my craw was how OLD he seemed. His voice in particular was so shaky and it really undercut whatever authority he was supposed to have.

P-Stew said in the book that it was a conscious decision to use his "real(old)" voice for dialogue to give things a different flavour, and it has made me reconsider some of those scenes.

("Picard" is still shite though)

Advertisement