Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Found the show a bit dull tonight. RTI has definitely got a bit samey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

It's rinse and repeat every week every series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

That's what I thought, I said to my husband someone problem gave them extra money but they didn't want to say in case taxman came after it.

Anyway really enjoyed that one, they were a lovely down to earth couple and loved that they tried to stay true to old house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Haven't seen it in years but we all know what the end result will look like and tight budget drama etc

• Advertisement

Yeah they are in a very privileged position.

Though coming from grandparents they would be taxed fairly heavily as threshold B is only around 30kish.

I find it weird people let these houses sit empty for so long....though probably a case of not wanting to sell and break the farm up, but not enough mod cons to live in...too expensive to get up to modern standard.

But you still take time out of your life to give out about it 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

I would say no inheritance tax was paid. House was probably left to Ivan's dad by grandparents and dad then passed it onto Ivan. Agricultural relief was probably availed of aswell which includes farmhouse so likely not a penny tax was paid on any inheritance.

I'm convinced they are mortgage free between savings and grants availed of but didn't want to say that. Nobody would be stupid enough to start on the outside walls of a house without going any plans and being so worried about funds. They definitely had their homework done before starting. I think they were probably more clued in than Dermot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

Yeah no mention as far as I could see.Did they go with underfloor?

Also did they just lime plaster the existing house with no insulation? No mention of BER ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

my father said the grandmother lived there until her death in 2009/10 he thinks. so not that long ago. the mother and father built a house out the front years ago and that is where ivan was living.

#surely the house wouldt be worth a huge amount . there was nothing spent on that house in donkeys years. it needed total rewire and plumbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

RTI is a bit like Top Gear. TG went from a car show to an entertainment show. And RTI has done something similar.

I think the programme could do with a revamp. Plenty of people would've been happy enough with tonight's content, but there should be more there for those who want a more detailed account. A secondary programme on after the main show and/or on the RTE Player with more details and insight into the build would go a long way towards people's criticism of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Lovely home in the end, but it was the house they visited that I find inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Has Dermot ever used one of his own designs as a show house for his tv clients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I basically Tweeted my dislike of that home and Dermot liked it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Are they close enough to the Motorway?

Well I found the roundtower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

that Farm has some amount of sheds out the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

a few miles. they are on the johnstown to freshford road near the turn off for urlingford. the motorway is on the other side of the old n8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭suvigirl

In future I'll watch the first ten mins and the last ten mins. And do something productive in the middle. There is no point watching the rest, we learn absolutely nothing about the actual build. Pointless.

House was lovely in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Completely agree, house finished lovely but all fluff in the middle. Seemed like the build went fairly straightforward, roof finish seemed the only issue so nothing of note happened during the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not really, not to the same degree anyway. I tuned in for the last few minutes of it, there's no way I would sit through a full episode anymore.

Reading the commentary on here is the highlight of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Westernview

He is the 6th generation farming there so they must have been adding sheds all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Liked the house in the end .. but to natter on about budget constantly at beginning of show to end up not mentioning costs at the end is embarrassing. It’s obvious now that budget was never an issue with the couple.

They really need to show how to get these grants and what needs to be done structurally it makes it seem getting these grants is a very straight forward process. They don’t show the hoops you need to jump through to get them.

It’s mentioned every series but I want to see what heating is used for the windows. I want to see how the house was built and less focus on interior design and final finish. Also want to see more normal builds like a nice extension on a regular 3 bed semi on a realistic budget and not people who 1/2 a million to spend.

They were working off a grant last night that hadn’t even been started and only announced during the build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

The doorways were so short that even Dermot had to bow slightly when walking through them - wouldn't there be some building regulation that these would need to be increased in height?..

All the hype about this years show was to do with cost of living and environmental issues; didn't see much coverage on these. NOt having the QA on board think meant that there was less focus on the figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes, felt I might as well have only tuned in for the last 10 minutes and even then we seemed to only get a glimpse of the house. But liked what they done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

They definitely glossed over the build, disappointing.

Budget budget budget...kitchen counter decisions.....high end finished product with no figures discussed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I find these enormous, gigantic open plan kitchens are far too big! There is nothing cosy about them.

My daughter has one and believe me with 3 kids the noise is unreal, if she is sitting on one side talking I can't here her as the sound seems to bounce off the huge windows, huge walls and high ceilings. There is nothing to absorb the sound, especially with screaming kids. Also it never feels cosy or snug, despite underfloor heating. The underfloor heating is nice, it gives a temperate climate but I always have to wear jumpers as there is no direct heat anywhere. The huge windows make it feel cold. I love light and space myself but I find a lot of these kitchen/living areas are far too big. Nowhere to escape either :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Francis McM

The programme did not go in to the tender process, how many (if any) builders tendered etc. I agree it was not very transparent the whole Q.S thing. At the beginning I think Dermot said the client had not the money for a Quantity Surveyor and he was only getting the Q.S. from Buncrana as a favour to him for the day, or something like that? Then she was there later on in the programme? I know the tv company pays Dermot's / the architects fees but I thought the Q.S. in other programmes was paid by the client?

For a lot of the programme they focused on how budget conscious the client was, and they were arguing over the figure the Aluminium roof would cost extra - 2k, 4k, 3k and 3.5k were all mentioned. Then at the end the client would not reveal how much over budget the whole thing went, or the final figure. They spent 60 or 70 k ( grant aided?) on the lime plastering on the outside before Dermot arrived, and told him they had a budget of 200k for the rest. Then during the programme I think 390k was mentioned, before grants. And the build went over that. So they spent probably half a million and still had not enough left over to put up blinds or curtains or build a built in wardrobe? And Dermot - who afaik is not exceptionally tall, prob. just average male @ 5ft 10 or whatever, it is not as if he is 6'6 - - still had to bend his neck to get through the doorways in the "old" part of the house?

Considering they got so much grants ( every extra bit of a grant they came across went on a bigger and bigger extension ) - surely they could or should have future-proofed the house by making sure people could walk through it without banging their heads ffs? People now are considerably taller than 200 years ago.

Post edited by Francis McM on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Yea, I think Dermot is paid for by the show but the QS is extra. This show was originally 30 minutes with an ad break; its a full hour now which is nuts considering how much detail (that viewers are interested in) is omitted. Should be part of the deal (i.e. when candidates are accepted to go on the show) that they disclose the costs; glossing over it with dumb statements like 'costs haven't been fully settled yet' just annoys viewers; they must have a fairly good idea given they have to pay for everything..

The walk in wardrobe was a joke, was that her entire collection of clothes.. Looks like he wasn't using the same space for his attire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

There's not a hope a builder and workers traveling from Donegal could do it cheaper than a local builder. The cost of diesel or accommodation alone would be sky high.

Definitely something fishy about that, it's not a transparent show at all.

Everything on it should be taken with a large lump of salt.

• Advertisement

I always assumed that the QS was part of the show to keep Dermot in reality.

I would have assumed if the client was paying for their own QS there would be a different one each week.

Advertisement