Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POLL: Sunday Independent/Ireland Thinks . Rise for SF and IND/Others.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

What name?

The name of all the delegates at the SF Ard Fheis who gave a standing ovation when the party called for the release of Garda killers?

The name of a SF front bench member who collected a Garda killer from jail?

The name of the Dublin SF TD who gave a loan of a van to his balaclava-wearing buddies to go "on a job"? Ironically, he was justice spokesperson at the time.

The names of all the front bench SF TDs who attended the funeral of well-known terrorist and criminal Bobby Storey during COVID?

We have a civic and moral responsibility to use our vote wisely. I'd rather be governed by the current incompetents than a party who may be influenced by the army council.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Greyian

But it's always been the case that not everyone returns. And it also doesn't mean there's something "wrong" with the country they've left. I know someone who left Ireland with the intention to return after 2 years. She met someone while abroad, got married and now live in a different country again (not where they met and not from where either of them are originally from). Sometimes people leave because they want a different climate, a different culture or because they've always just wanted to live in a specific place.

Funnily enough, of all the people I know who emigrated and returned (so all but 2, who intend to return this year), they've come back with less savings than they left with (apart from the girl who got married and isn't planning to return as a result).

In my circle of friends, the people who have bought property are those who never left Ireland (apart from 1 who left for a couple of years ago over a decade ago, but he didn't have any savings when he came back). Deposits were saved here, not abroad.

We have many failings (e.g. failure to give permanent contracts and full hours to newly qualified teachers is an absolute disgrace), but this notion that people have to emigrate to save up a deposit is a fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The only electoral loser is the people who end up not been Taoiseach at the end of it.

If Varadkar is "devoid of any personality and an electoral loser" what would you describe the leaders of the parties sitting in the opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,208 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have no idea who I will vote for.

I cannot fathom voting for SF, I really have a lot of concern if they get into power and 1 of my biggest concerns is business...

I stopped voting for FF since the recession and promised myself I never vote for them again and their stint in power so far hasn't changed my mind and in fact I've doubled down on this.

And that leaves FG, I used to always vote for this party but I will not be going near them in the general election and god I hope I see them canvassing and I will go to town on the damage they have done from housing to immigration. Varadkar has done so much damage to FG that it will take generations to recover.

It feels there's no big party concerned about immigration, it's frightening.

I can see the Independents having a record breaking result in the general election.

Loads of parties, you don't have to vote for FF/FG/SF

Look at all the parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

For years i've been anti sinn fein. I don't think their policies make sense and i don't trust them basically. But seeing the way this government is blindly leading things i've changed my mind. We're being told we're a rich country doing great but that's rubbish. It's all spin and bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I don't think you can grasp just how bad things would get under the shinners. I would let a group of schoolchildren run the country over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Realistically how good is it now. We're in a boom period with huge tax windfall and record employment levels and yet healthcare is a mess, jails are full, houses are out of reach to a lot of people. The government has zero plans and anyone questioning them are shot down

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Things are awful, the "shur the economy is great look at the gdp" stuff is a sham, we can't fathom really bad situations, as however bad things were in the old days people weren't eating rats or zoo animals like in other countries that smashed through rock bottom, I hate the EU but without them we'd be a stone age country, Sinn Fein in government would be akin to us pulling an irexit it would be on that level if disaster.

Post edited by L.Ball on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You don't vote FG? - That gave me a good chuckle...thanks

That's exactly what they're banking on and is their primary election strategy, as it was for 2020 GE - You hear it every day...'But, but Sinn Fein' - It is literally all they have. The last GE was on a Sat. Some time between 01.00 and 07.00 on the Sat morn, they had some grunts posting FG fliers into post boxes with 'Vote FG...Keep SF out'

Tis a sad state of affairs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But its still true.

If not FFG it will be SF plus FF.

Chuckle away, never in my life voted for them.

In terms of the "but, but Sinn Fein" is not what people have, that's the point. All they do is ask about the policies of Sinn Fein and it all comes falling down.

"some grunts" try to stay a little bit classy. Never heard about these fliers, anything to show where this happened?

How good is it? well over 70% of people are home owners. The lifetime expectancy rate is increasing, Ireland is classed as one of the best countries in the World to live in etc etc

In terms of zero plans, well they release plenty of documents on plans. From housing to electricity generation etc.

How are people "shot down" for questioning? in reality the government is under the microscope more now than ever before. Ireland is now part of the World media with every country in the World reporting on the riots in Dublin. Would that have happened 20 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't like SF but I've a feeling FF will go into coalition with them.

I think FF will say "SF have topped the polls in two elections in a row, so deserve a chance to govern."

My hope is SF will listen to smart advisors and not screw things up.

SF have advisors at the moment, does anything they have come out with so far suggest they are "smart advisors"?

IN terms of FF, I don't see it

Don't be so sensitive there Clo -

Never heard about these fliers, anything to show where this happened?

Why would you be surprised that you've never heard of these fliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's just a guess. If FF don't want a coalition, then there's no path to power for SF.

SF have no intelligence but I'd hope they'll listen to high ranking economists in the ESRI or whatnot.

Really you want to defend referring to people as grunts?

In terms of the fliers, if true that's the sort of thing people love to share. Especially around covid when nobody had f**k all to do. So seems strange it was never mentioned before anywhere online at any stage. That's all.

Certainly in our area FG or any party didn't post fliers on the morning of the election

In terms of FF yes its a guess from me as well

SF have access to ESRI and economists etc now. They also have access to ones in the UK so should have advantage over every other party. Yet still waiting to see that bear fruit on either side of the border

Really you want to defend referring to people as grunts?

Sure, it's not a derogatory term, much as you'd like people to think it is

In terms of the fliers, if true that's the sort of thing people love to share. Especially around covid when nobody had f**k all to do. So seems strange it was never mentioned before anywhere online at any stage. That's all.

It was before Covid - please try to keep up. You didn't get the memo on the fliers - that's fine...we understand your frustration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

That's all very nice, but it doesn't answer my question.

You made up a policy and offered that as an answer. İt's a response, not an answer.

The name of the bores repeating the same tired old tales we've been hearing from the Sindo for 20 years. Sorted now though, you can go back to sleep.

i gave you an example of incoherent policies from Sinn Fein, like ever person faced with the example of poor policies from Sinn Fein instead of giving a response they ignore. Yet again a poster proves they have no idea on Sinn Fein policies

yes we all work for FG and are all upset because you made up a fantasy about people going around in middle of night delivering flyers before the last election

In next weeks shocking headline the bogey man was part of the team delivering those flyers 😂😂😂

Those FG people are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No I commented on the effects Sinn Feins policies would have.

Stop being so childish.

Glazers Out!

“Sindo” 🤣

If you have anything to prove what was posted is incorrect? Or just you don’t like the truth been posted about a political party

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Agree with you on the above.

I think Aontu are very attractive as they are questioning the housing/immigration issues we have, they just need far more candidates. Peadar Tobin is honest, hardworking and articulate. He has integrity and I've been a fan for over 10 years even before Aontu was formed. He stands up for what he believes in too, can't see him doing U turn.

Holly Cairns SD, has already shown her true colours and is VERY pro immigration and "our obligations" . So that's a no for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Right, right, terrorism. Any opinions on the financial terrorism facing the mainly young, being waged by FFG on the peasants? SF will no doubt be a joke, but we have dealt with a joke for the nigh on past hundred years... Welfare wonderland, open doors to the world. Its hard to scare people away from SF, when FFG policies are as good as identical...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

FG's days are numbered. They look completely rudderless under Varadkar and I see zero talent coming through the ranks to lead them forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If a centre right party formed here, here would be the first question is new leader faced on RTE etc, and every media outlet in the country... "we see you plan on cutting income tax" what about the poor in their free housing and god knows what amount of allowances, bonuses and other bullshit they receive. "we plan on rewarding the people who pay for the running of this country, many of themselves "poor" but get nothing back from the state...

The country is so woke,, left leaning and disingenuous. You would need a proper leader, prepared to alienate people. SFFG and all he gombeens and alphabet soup parties here, too worried about pleasing everyone, brining everyone along , the country is obsessed with "concensus" you cant please everyone. I'd love some non apologist party for the workers, any one who tackled the likes of RTE and the media here, would be a hero to a considerable number. 25% here and you are the largest party, I mean if a new one were to form, a viable good one. You would need a proper LEADER though, non of them in irish politics, I can tell you that...

Peter Casey went from 1% to 23% for speaking the truth. Varadkar, is costing his party seats and votes and screwing this country over, because he cares more about perception, than performance. Its truly pathetic. He talked the talk at the start, pity he didnt walk the walk. RTE have as good as a monopoly here on state broadcasting, that is problematic, on several obvious front...

Advertisement