Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yes but that's the by product. To have that calf you will have a cow leaving at least e1000. Profit. We have to take the bad as well as the good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭older by the day

And when IL be dead and gone, maybe my grand children will walk along the road and wonder who planted the big mountain ash trees with the red berries or who planted that hedge with the white flowers in may. And get paid for it too!

I'm being glib, I agree with your point that the pay is very small. If you consider that land is 10000 an acre. As well as I was in REPS1 and getting over 8000 for a bit of fencing and plant 30 trees. I'm doing over the double the work for half the money for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭893bet

we had to take down a massive ash tree that was towering over our garage. Various massive branches had snapped the last few years so was too risky the whole thing come down. 80 rings or so I counted. Impossible to count the middle ones.

I need to replace it and plant a few mighty oaks etc on some key locations.

I see various mountain ash saplings growing, is there any chance these could be resistant to ash die back if I moved them to locations where they will be safe from deer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mountain Ash tree doesn’t get ash dieback as it’s proper name is Rowan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

About 3% of ash trees are also resistant to the dieback. Some are looking at collecting seeds from these trees for planting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Don't forget to prune the trees when in the tree shelters and make sure grass doesn't overwhelm the saplings. I planted 1000 about 4 years ago and lost about 100 due to deer and rabbit damage when wind knocked them over.

Still have the shelters on and hoping to remove the stakes next year but leave the shelters on for a couple of more years.

It definitely requires years of vigilance but the results, especially in the summer in full leaf , makes up for all the work.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah - and the good news is that there appears to be growing pockets of resistance in trees around the country, so hopefully not as calamitous as the likes of Dutch Elm was back in the day

When it comes to the trees, it says four meters apart, I was going with a few willow in a very wet corner a metre apart. Is the four meters different if they are going in together

The grove of 10 trees in the riprarian zone are 2.5m apart, I think. but if you put them in staggered lines then using Pythagoros theorem, the lines could be closer than 2.5m, just over 2m between the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Tis a while since i heard of that buck and his theorem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

Would love to be there when you start explaining that to dept inspector and watch the blank look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You won't need to explain pythagoras theorem. You just need a tape to measure 2.5m between trees.

If you put in the 1st line 2.5m apart when you put in the next line if you put the first tree in line with a point halfway between the trees in the previous line represented by b (1.25m) then you need c to be 2.5m which means a can be 2.16m.

There's another mirror image of this triangle with another b to the next tree in the 1st line.

Only c and 2 b's need to be 2.5m

Feck it, IL give them the story that I left school early and I got confused with feet and meters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m glad I didn’t gamble my €500 now on an ACRES application. The Dept are not changing their mind this time and sticking with the 4,000 places

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Still wudnt rule out the remaining eligible acres applicants in tranch 2 getting approved as it will be around 5k in number and no doubt they will find the money somewhere after much hummin and hawing.It will be a good pr exercise for government in the new year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I hope you’re right and the 5,200 who paid advisors €500 and upwards get accepted. It’s poor form from the Dept thou to announce they’ve wasted their money a week before Christmas if they know they’ll say the opposite in a few weeks.

I’m still glad I didn’t submit the application. I am 90% sure of where I’m going to plant the 500m of hedging here, which would have been the only action I’d have submitted, but I’m probably changing enterprise and the paddocks that the hedging would have made permanent might be slightly different now.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Some pulled out of ACRES1, you’d think that should give additional places

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭joe35

So again farmers are taking on risks without knowing if they will be eligible for grant aid.

I took 25 hectares at the start of this year to set up my own flock number. I was tipping away on the father's Herd number but any time there were sales I'd have to go begging.

It won't be financially viable if I don't get into ACRES. I have some commonage so should be OK. But saying 50% of applicants won't be accepted is ridiculous. And then you don't know how much you're entitled too?????

I was one of the original group left out of Organic in 2019. Had already done the plan and totally altered farming from Jan 1st 2019. Joined one to the Organic Orgs and did the 25 hr course. Thousands spent, and lost out because I hadn't a large enough farm! In fairness to Pippa Hackett, she saw that group right. It's a risk but hopefully all will be accommodated. It has a bad PR look for the Dept if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Any of ye any experience of the Winter Bird Food crop. How is it sown and what management is needed to make a success of it.

• Advertisement

Decided to prune the new hedgerow that was sowed last april today .takes longer than one would expect.i put in a few metres extra and these were handy to use for replacements for the few that failed.Id recommend anyone sowing them now to do same in case a few fail.Not many did in this case.Also i stuck down the good off cuts here and there whether this was right or wrong i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mach Two

How much are erecting nest box's worth in the scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Sami23

Reply back from department this morning as I didn't get paid yet for ACRES general:

Btw has anyone got paid already who put in for the late meadow bonus as that's what's holding mine up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oakwork

Still waiting here as well, was told before xmas I was cleared for payment. If late meadow is holding up the payment would it not make sense to issue a payment and leave the late meadow payment until later but at least get some much needed cash to farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭SodiumCooled

We are still waiting also.

Where's the cheapest place to get trees for ACRES - need be planted by March I think.

Just need the 10 trees and thinking of planting Silver Birch.

They'll cost you around €1.50 each. Not much use looking for a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

For quality and price of proper native stock I have found Future Forests in Cork very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Seadin

Will applicants be taken on for ACRES in 2024 or is it too late to join it?

Advertisement