Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is the new soundbite.

Far Right doesn't work anymore as evidenced by yesterday's poll.

I am sure there will be some more effective soundbite rolled out by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Legal immigrants bringing vital skills and manpower to struggling sectors here are highly regarded and encouraged. I've never seen or heard anyone say otherwise. This has been beaten to death and is just killing the debate.

I had a severe acute illness last year which landed me in hospital for three weeks. Out of easily 20 professionals I had caring for me in that time, a minority were actually Irish. All my doctors, aside from one Eastern European and a Nigerian in training, were Middle Eastern. And again most of the duty nurses working my ward were Indian and Filipino. Each of the staff were a credit to themselves, especially with the pressure they're under, couldn't do enough for me and I'll be forever grateful for their lifesaving care. I even included each of their names in a letter of thanks I wrote to the hospital after I was released, and I hope it got back to them. I hope for all our sakes immigrants like these keep coming to Ireland - worth their weight in gold and more than justifying of support for housing.

The issue is with the thousands of unskilled economic migrants gaming the asylum system, ending up as a life burden on the State and with nothing to offer back to the country, nor any intention of doing.

Post edited by Garzard on

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

If as someone pointed out the centre in Ballsbridge, was used to house foreign nurses or doctors (or even our own) with very reasonable rent then perhaps we could attract more or perhaps fewer would leave for Australia or wherever, Same thing around the country… instead we have a huge drain on resources many of who are chancers and freeloaders taking up O’Gormans idiotic promise of free housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Plus we have a literal working example of what happens a few years down the line in Sweden if we continue as is and pretend it's all brilliant and we are saving the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's a big test for the State.

Is it able to set up an asylum centre in Ballinrobe or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

There are reports that the government have said that the 50 are going into Gannons regardless of the locals. Someone on Twitter said it was mentioned on today fm. Today is going to be very interesting.

Well this is it.

Either the State has the final say or it doesn't once it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭snl rory

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

RTE with Nick Henderson on to discuss Ballinrobe… thankfully I no longer pay a licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most western societies don't normally distinguish between people in the way you are proposing i.e. first class citizens and second class citizens. People who live in a country legally all have the exact same rights, whether citizens of the state or not. Actively favouring citizens of the country over residents who are non citizens would be blatant discrimination (and probably completely illegal under Irish law).

We saw this type of rampant discrimination against Catholics / nationalists in Northern Ireland in the 1960s. Protestants / unionists were prioritised for everything, including housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

RTE with the usual coverage this morning, all the tropes being trotted out. No attempt at balance. The closest I heard was that 'some local people have genuine concerns but shure we'll explain it nicely to them and then just roll over them'. A FF councillor was put under pressure, he was at protests in Ballinrobe said he understood local concerns & legalities but was repeatedly asked why the local community objected to 50+ non national young males being parachuted in. In fairness to him, it was morning radio with kids in the car etc going to school and he didn't literally explain the ins and outs of the birds & bees to the thicko RTE correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Literally everywhere besides the enlightened western Europe does exactly what you claim they don't. They have strict entry requirements and don't just give free welfare to everybody that arrives taking a chance and claiming asylum when they are fleeing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ballinrobe is definitely going to be pushed through now. The government have to send a message that protests are useless and communities cannot be allowed vetos.

Whatever about refugees or asylum seekers, the government cannot prioritise housing for Irish citizens over residents of the State who don't hold an Irish passport.....that would be straight into blatant discrimination territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I don't blame the people protesting in Mayo. What the government are doing is wrong for everybody. The locals and the migrants 

It's a 12 bed room pub / B&B / Hotel. It's old, the rooms won't be big but they are going to put 5 to a room. A private LL would rightly be criticized for doing that and should be stopped. 

Your going to have 50 men crammed in, no privacy, under stress in the middle of small village. It's going to lead to tension and fights. It's already happend https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-41040542.html

Best case they'll want to spend as little time as possible in the accommodation they'll likely be outdoors as much as the weather allows. But what is there for them to do, other than hang out on the village green, by the river.

What if there is an accidental fire in the middle of the night will they all get out. Is the building up to code for that many people.

The government came up with this crazy open door / soft immigration policy and they should be held to account for it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Agreed, but yet only irish citizens can vote in a General Election.

A tax paying, employment generating, EU citizen resident in Ireland, still can't vote for a govt in a country they may have lived in for decades.

So there is a level of discrimination between citizens and non-citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Cordell

It will be an acceptable type of discrimination to prioritise Irish citizens over citizens of other countries who can go back to those countries and claim welfare and housing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Why not? Why is it discrimination? Do other EU countries hold this high standard? Can I go to Romania, France or Germany and expect housing ahead of its natural born citizens? Genuine question...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

This is a point.

We aren't in uncharted waters, there is no mystery.

The effect of mass immigration of the scale and character we are experiencing has been obvious in France, Sweden and the UK for some time.

The effects are unrest, instability, discontent and a deluge of violence against the native population.

The French army are deployed full time in the streets of France (think about that) in a semi-successful effort to prevent that unhappy country sinking in a conflagration of ethnic and religious bloodshed.

Will we have a capable army to deploy in Ireland when our demographics resemble France's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

From which we can deduce that immigration is implicit in the housing crisis. Therefore if anything, higher than the 25% it received on the topical items for elections given housing crisis was a separate option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

The mantra that people who have genuine concerns about inviting every Tom, Dick and Harry from Africa or the middle east to Ireland are somehow racist or far right has failed. The left need a new play book.

I'm assuming people are talking about social housing here? But I believe that is only around 9% or 10% of houses in Ireland, so even if the government went down the route of prioritising Irish citizens, it wouldn't make as big a dent into the current housing problems as people might think.

You're losing the plot now altogether. The arguments in favour of this absorption of non nationals are getting more obscure by the day.

Maybe you're assuming wrong. These immigration policies are impacting not just on social housing but rents and a whole range of services. Have you missed the memo - it was 'OK' when it was only those on lower incomes and partic those in cities who were affected. Now it's the middle classes and people in rural towns and villages. Big shift.

We're approving 12,500 of 15,000 AS per year (funnily enough at least half of these approvals came here with no identification). Do you think the government has the capability to cater for 12,500 new social houses per year on top of the existing backlog?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ballinrobe to house families now not single males.

The State has capitulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Not really. That seems more like a compromise to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement