Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Can't see irfu letting Leinster sign an NIQ loose head with kitschoff in ulster and Milne, Boyle and McCarthy pushing through.

As for 9 coffeey for 20's looks a player. Himself and gunne are contrasting style 9's who should be coming good around the time park and McGrath move on.

An NIQ tight head for allatoa seems most likely. The Koch rumors seem to have gone quiet but a scrummager like him would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Good article by Murray Kinsella on Leinster's new defensive system and ethos. For those unable to view it essentially says that the biggest issue facing the team is timing on when to rush. Some players are still a bit unsure on when they should really accelerate in the line and that any sort of opposition feint causes our players to hesitate when they should be pushing harder up.

Another issue is spacing in the line. Players push up so hard and fast that our defensive reset gets sloppy for the next phase and we often are left short on players in the right position to tackle. It'll get better when the players are more familiarised with the system.

The big positives so far have been forcing errors in the opposition attack. We fly up so fast and with such aggression that even the bigger sides like La Rochelle panic. There are a lot of dropped passes and passes to outside shoulders. It stalls the attack and allows Leinster to make a big hit. Leinster's renewed focus on counter-rucking is also highlighted. We're making a complete mess of opposition ball and slowing it down. The next phase we shoot up and hit them well behind the gainline.

That's only some of the article. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rhys Ruddock looking for a Wales call up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd hate to see Ruddock leave. He's one of Leinster's great servants and for years he was one of our our most consistently good players. He also didn't get as many Ireland caps as his performances warranted imo.

But it's obvious now that he's well down the pecking order at blindside flanker. Baird and Deegan are selected ahead of him most weeks now. I don't think he'll be offered a new contract and if he is, it will be on reduced terms. Can't begrudge him moving to a Welsh region with the possibility of getting some Wales caps as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Looking for a contract extension with Leinster would be my bet.

Back row is one of few areas Welsh rugby is fairly healthy.

I'd like to see him involved in coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Am I correct in saying he was coaching one of the Leinster underage teams this Summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He's a reason why leinster have won lot of their leagues but is also one of a few guys who prob would have been better off leaving to play higher level of rugby more consistently.

I don't think it's that surprising he got what irish caps he got. And yeah I don't think anyone would begrudge him getting more international game time if it was available to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Rhys ruddock, Scott penny and max deegan has been an annoyingly exceptional back row to put out during international windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I find it hard to believe he’d make a wales squad but he is a good player.

He's probably been kept on too long. How long is it since he was making the strongest XXIII? Two or three seasons? And Leinster were cruising to wins in most of the regular season games he featured in, so I think it would have made more sense to invest the gametime in someone on an upward trajectory, like Deegan or Alexis Soroka or Josh Murphy.

It would surprise me, as i feel wales have some good back row options, and its a real indictment of their set up if you’re bringing in guys who are 33 and capping them, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Hes been a great player for Leinster and I wouldn’t begrudge him if he can extend his career a little bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Mod: I don't know why you do this, but it stops here. His name is Alex

He definitely goes by Alex now but he did go by Alexis Soroka all the way through school - was named in Irish underage squads etc as Alexis.

Whatever he goes by, I just want to watch him play!!!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Cheers. Very strange outburst from Podge_irl. I just go with whatever the players are known as when I first become familiar with them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

MOD: It's not a discussion. His name is quite clearly and obviously Alex and has been for years and that is what he should be referred to as

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I think the problem, Richie (or Richard, should I say :P), is that you only do this for foreign-born players.

It's always Christiaan Johan Stander, Alexeis Soroka, Vakhtang Abdaladze, and Fua Leiofi Bundellu Aki. I sincerely doubt you first knew about all of these players by these names.

It's never Jonathan Jeremiah Sexton (yes, that is his middle name), Gerald Conor Murray, or William Iain Henderson.

• Advertisement

Well, it's a bit different with foreigners. Personally, I think it's a bit sad - and a remnant of when they were second class citizens - to see Pasifika players taking on European nicknames like 'Charlie' Piutau and 'Israel' Folau. What's wrong with their original names? I think it's better to respect and promote their culture rather than them fitting into European norms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

thanks for clarifying that it's your anti racism that moves you to use those names.

On Ruddock, to me it seemed for many years that his role as captain and mentor played a very significant role for much of the league season. A great soldier for Leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Soroka was born in Cork. Max(imillian) O'Reilly in Wicklow. Maybe outside the Pale but hardly foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On the topic of Rhystopher Ruddock, I would imagine Leinster have little use for him now. He has approximately 100 minutes of game time and that's not going to change in the next couple of weeks. His only purpose for the remainder of the season is potentially being a senior figure on a trip to SA.

He has been mooted for a move into coaching and I noted he was running the water of late, bringing messages onto the field. He might be looking at that move with a Welsh side if there isn't anything immediately on the table in Leinster.

I wouldn't begrudge him any move. Genuinely one of the most reliable and hardworking players of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

I believe Ruddock split with his long term partner in the second half of last year so could be looking for a completely fresh start.

Brilliant servant and excellent leader. Wish him the best whatever he decides to do going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I agree with you. The IRFU won't sanction a loosehead with a lot of young depth in the pipeline. I can also see Healy holding on for another year to help out the transition.

At scrum half, do I think they address the position? No I don't. I think they are perfectly happy with their pecking order and happy with the young lads coming through. They will address the position in the next few years if they aren't happy with the development of the young players.

I've seen very little of Coffey but I do like that he is a multi functional scrum half capable of kicking. I really want Gunne and Coffey to push for the 9 jersey before the next world cup. It would really give Leinster a massive boost not having to worry about the 9 and 10 jersey for a decade.

Tighthead is almost a certainty. I didn't see the Koch rumours ( I hope they are true) but I kept seeing news around Leinster being interested in Trevor Nyakane. His contract ended after the World cup and he is now a free agent. I half expect Nyakane to go Japan for a short term deal and then come to Leinster next season but I also wouldn't be half surprised if Leinster picked him up now with Furlong not being around the squad at the moment. He is definitely on the older side but I think Leinster will actually prefer his age profile being a bit older so he isn't impeding the long term development of Tom Clarkson and Rory McGuire.

A bench front row trio of Cian Healy, Ronan Kelleher and Trevor Nyakane would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How many games he's he played this season? I presumed he was injured but with the likes of baird and Conan covering 6, I really don't see him getting much gametime. I wouldn't begrudge him a move to play regular club games and maybe some Wales internationals while they get Iver their back row injury issues.

He's free from mid Feb as it's 3 years since he last played for Ireland against France. If you love something, let it go. I think his career is going backwards in leinster, and for good reason. Why wouldn't they pick the likes of Baird and Moloney when he's back? And Conan/Doris starting 6 when everyone's fit? He's probably 4th or 5th choice blindside and he's 33. A move would be good for what's left of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Wales have injuries at back row. From the article:

"Wales coach Warren Gatland faces a potential back row injury crisis, with Jac Morgan, Christ Tshiunza, Taine Plumtree and Taulupe Faletau all injured."

It would be short term cover while they blood young players and get the injured players back. He's 33 so it wouldn't likely be anything other than short term anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I think Leinster might have tipped their hand to Ruddock and he is maybe leaving before he is pushed out of respect to the immense contribution he has made to Leinster. Giving him the opportunity to leave on his terms.

Players like Max Deegan, Ryan Baird, Jack Conan and Caelan Doris are ahead of him in the pecking order.

I'm also guessing Ruddock and his team have already had discussions with Wales about the switch as there is no way the rumours came out of the blue.

They must be open to the idea if it is openly being discussed now.

A great leader of men and at his peak was a brilliant flanker. If he does go to Wales, I hope he can do a job for them and continue his career. Would love to have him back in a coaching capacity when he finally calls it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The lack of games during the 6N and the fielding of stronger than usual teams over Christmas has really hurt his chances of getting game time.

Advertisement