Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Well, it's a bit different with foreigners. Personally, I think it's a bit sad - and a remnant of when they were second class citizens - to see Pasifika players taking on European nicknames like 'Charlie' Piutau and 'Israel' Folau. What's wrong with their original names? I think it's better to respect and promote their culture rather than them fitting into European norms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

thanks for clarifying that it's your anti racism that moves you to use those names.

On Ruddock, to me it seemed for many years that his role as captain and mentor played a very significant role for much of the league season. A great soldier for Leinster.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Soroka was born in Cork. Max(imillian) O'Reilly in Wicklow. Maybe outside the Pale but hardly foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

On the topic of Rhystopher Ruddock, I would imagine Leinster have little use for him now. He has approximately 100 minutes of game time and that's not going to change in the next couple of weeks. His only purpose for the remainder of the season is potentially being a senior figure on a trip to SA.

He has been mooted for a move into coaching and I noted he was running the water of late, bringing messages onto the field. He might be looking at that move with a Welsh side if there isn't anything immediately on the table in Leinster.

I wouldn't begrudge him any move. Genuinely one of the most reliable and hardworking players of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

I believe Ruddock split with his long term partner in the second half of last year so could be looking for a completely fresh start.

Brilliant servant and excellent leader. Wish him the best whatever he decides to do going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I agree with you. The IRFU won't sanction a loosehead with a lot of young depth in the pipeline. I can also see Healy holding on for another year to help out the transition.

At scrum half, do I think they address the position? No I don't. I think they are perfectly happy with their pecking order and happy with the young lads coming through. They will address the position in the next few years if they aren't happy with the development of the young players.

I've seen very little of Coffey but I do like that he is a multi functional scrum half capable of kicking. I really want Gunne and Coffey to push for the 9 jersey before the next world cup. It would really give Leinster a massive boost not having to worry about the 9 and 10 jersey for a decade.

Tighthead is almost a certainty. I didn't see the Koch rumours ( I hope they are true) but I kept seeing news around Leinster being interested in Trevor Nyakane. His contract ended after the World cup and he is now a free agent. I half expect Nyakane to go Japan for a short term deal and then come to Leinster next season but I also wouldn't be half surprised if Leinster picked him up now with Furlong not being around the squad at the moment. He is definitely on the older side but I think Leinster will actually prefer his age profile being a bit older so he isn't impeding the long term development of Tom Clarkson and Rory McGuire.

A bench front row trio of Cian Healy, Ronan Kelleher and Trevor Nyakane would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,599 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How many games he's he played this season? I presumed he was injured but with the likes of baird and Conan covering 6, I really don't see him getting much gametime. I wouldn't begrudge him a move to play regular club games and maybe some Wales internationals while they get Iver their back row injury issues.

He's free from mid Feb as it's 3 years since he last played for Ireland against France. If you love something, let it go. I think his career is going backwards in leinster, and for good reason. Why wouldn't they pick the likes of Baird and Moloney when he's back? And Conan/Doris starting 6 when everyone's fit? He's probably 4th or 5th choice blindside and he's 33. A move would be good for what's left of his career.

Wales have injuries at back row. From the article:

"Wales coach Warren Gatland faces a potential back row injury crisis, with Jac Morgan, Christ Tshiunza, Taine Plumtree and Taulupe Faletau all injured."

It would be short term cover while they blood young players and get the injured players back. He's 33 so it wouldn't likely be anything other than short term anyway.

I think Leinster might have tipped their hand to Ruddock and he is maybe leaving before he is pushed out of respect to the immense contribution he has made to Leinster. Giving him the opportunity to leave on his terms.

Players like Max Deegan, Ryan Baird, Jack Conan and Caelan Doris are ahead of him in the pecking order.

I'm also guessing Ruddock and his team have already had discussions with Wales about the switch as there is no way the rumours came out of the blue.

They must be open to the idea if it is openly being discussed now.

A great leader of men and at his peak was a brilliant flanker. If he does go to Wales, I hope he can do a job for them and continue his career. Would love to have him back in a coaching capacity when he finally calls it a day.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,172 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The lack of games during the 6N and the fielding of stronger than usual teams over Christmas has really hurt his chances of getting game time.

Christ I forgot Deegan. Yeah I'd also like to keep him on good terms, especially if he's into coaching. Always seemed like an admirable man and a really hard worker. If he's worth a shot at coaching then I'd be delighted to see him back in a few years.

And there is even more depth coming down the line with the likes of James Culhane and Alex Soroka. It would be a disservice to Ruddock to keep him in the set up if the opportunities will potentially be few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would hate to see him playing for Wales. He had the worst luck with injuries over the years, deserved more caps. He was the best 6 in Ireland for a good few years. Surprised he hasn't looked to France, wonder would Lancaster be interested in bringing him to Racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

JOB has a neck injury and will miss the next few months. Awful for him as he's in career best form over these elast few seasons. Great opportunity for TOB to break into the full strength 23 though.

With hansnen out for the 6N it would have given him an opportunity there too. Stockdale will get his chance.

Also with JOB out it gives Zebo an opportunity as the only full-time full back replacement. JOB was likely to cover that role in the squad.

Not great for leinster over the next 2 weeks but opportunities for TOB will be good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Jimmy O’Brien has picked up a neck injury and will be unavailable for a number of months.

Martin Moloney has picked up a bicep injury and will be unavailable for a number of months.

Alex Soroka picked up a foot injury in training last week and will be unavailable for selection this week.

There are no further updates on: Charlie Ngatai (calf), Cormac Foley (shoulder), Ross Byrne (arm) and Jamie Osborne (shoulder)

Might strengthen the case to include Frawley in the 6 nations squad or I wonder does someone like a Will Addison come back into contention?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭theVersatile

D'oh! Made a feckin' assumption re: Soroka without confirming, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Soroka has no luck. Awful news for Jimmy. Great chance for Larmour.

Yes, he's an Ukrainian Corkonian! Is that right?

• Advertisement

Our injuries have been big so far, Munsters are catastrophic! They are very unlucky.

Carberry exiting Munster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why post here. He isn't going to be coming back to leinster...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Interesting. He could also start his coaching career over there as well.

I'd be fine with that. I doubt a coach's first job is the best work of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

He's a Leinster exile so of course it's relevant to Leinster.

And more so given that now that rumours start.

I'd be gobsmacked if there isn't a Leinster 10 option playing in red next season

Tend to agree. It's hard to see how/why Leinster would retain all of them. If RB was fit as he has been for the vast majority of his career, we'd have seen a real drop off in game time for the others and that's the likely scenario next season.

Preferably, it's Tector but it could well be Harry Byrne or Frawley. Tector is potentially going to leave regardless when he finishes up in the academy in 2025 if we've three established senior outhalves.

I think Leinster potentially want to free up a path for Sam Prendergast in the next 18 months meaning either Harry Byrne or Ciaran Frawley are going to be on the move. If they can convince Frawley to stick it out and be the ideal Nienaber utility back, then Harry makes the move. Harry moving away does make the most sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

While I reckon Frawley would be on Munsters radar. I don't see why they'd be on his.

Unless Frawley wants to play all his rugby going forward at 10 and fancies displacing the much heralded local lad Jack Crowley but sure he's up against that here.

The likely scenario in Munster is that Frawley would be considered a 12/15 option with the added luxury of an ability to play 10..... how is that different from here? He's got 750 minutes so far this season

It could be considered a more prudent move to go after Tector who I think will become a really solid pro but ultimately he's not much further along in his development than Tony Butler is now.

The final realistic option would be Harry Byrne who is obviously an out and out 10 who might fancy his chances at usurping Crowley.

And I for one hope none of these come to pass

I also expect one of our boys to move on to Munster. It's probably already done.

I doubt that Frawley would move to Munster to be a back up to Crowley. Let's be realistic, none of our out hall's are as good as Crowley and if anyone does transfer, they're a back up. Any move by a Leinster out half would likely be to Ulster. Harry and Frawley would bypass Burns, imo.

Tector may end up staying! We could potentially lose 2 10's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭PMC83

What if none of them want to go? It wouldn't be surprising considering how things went for Joey. I reckon Frawley stays on as our swiss army back, Ross in number one spot, and Harry and Sam battle for 2nd. Unfortunately for Tector you'd have to assume hes surplus at this stage.

• Administrators Posts: 54,172 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Would Munster even want Harry Byrne? I don't even think he's that good, and Munster have already tried the injury-prone Leinster out half thing before. I think his chances of getting past Crowley would be slim-to-none.

Very true. But would Munster get a NIQ? It makes sense to poach a Leinster 10, than to bring in an outsider.

Last season, Jake Flannery was rumored to be returning to Munster. He chose to stay with Ulster. Is Butler a good option for Munster?

Feck it, we'll let them have Sexton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Harry Byrne to Munster, doesn't sound like a marriage made in heaven, but may have comic potential.

The assumption that one of Leinster's extra 10s will go south as opposed to north or west is... interesting. I mean, imagine it, you want to break through, why would you move to the provincial home of the incumbent Irish 10?

I still think a Leinster 10 goes up north, I just don't think it will be Harry. If anything I always thought that Ciaran Frawley would be really good in Ulster with his versatility.

• Advertisement

If a 10 does leave m, I think we'll sign Tector.

Flannery is a good example of how a player can get above what they would normally would if they've a strong negotiating position. Ulster were fairly screwed for an outhalf as they approached this season. Doak isn't seen as an outhalf. Madigan was being moved on. Flannery, who was only on a one year deal, appeared to be totally surplus and played barely over 100 minutes of rugby last season and less than 300 minutes in his career at the age of 24.

Out of the blue, Ulster announce a 3 year deal for Flannery.....a guy who some thought would potentially go back to the AIL and give up on pro rugby.

That's where Munster are now, to my mind. Someone is going to get a decent deal there above what they may have expected previously.

Rumours are Harry Byrne to Munster.

Frawley to Ulster and Sam prendergast to join the brother in Connacht. :)

Without having kicked a ball in anger Charlie Tecotor could be number two behind Ross next year.

I'd imagine either Frawley or Harry will move on but I don't know if one or both are even out of contract this season.

Frawley has plenty of game time this year and may be in the first choice 23 as a utility back.. but it must be frustrating to sit on the bench for 80 minutes in the last 2 Heineken Cup finals in a row for a team the lost and not brought on.

Carberry must be going abroad for the cash. Either that or he doesn't fancy himself getting g past Crowley. I can't see that happen either.

Frawley may also be thinking that he can win the 23 shirt. Henshaw isn't playing g great. I do think he's out the door. I would say to Ulster.

If Leinster lost HB and Frawley in one year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster want a ten (although Flannery is starting to improve). Fullback is covered by Addison, Lowry, McIlroy, Moore and Stockdale if pushed. Inside centre is covered by McCloskey, Moore, and Marshall (even Curtis). I'm not saying that Ciaran wouldn't be a welcome addition, and would be better than a number of those players, but his versatility isn't a particular attraction up here. A really good ten would be a much better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

2 gingers on the pitch at once, potentially three with Kitschoff? That's too much

Definitely for the cash/change of scenery. It's supposedly to Bordeaux so if he can't get last Crowley, he certainly ain't getting past Jalibert.

It’s going to be Frawley - he’s basically a much better and more athletic Rory Scannell. Will suit them just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Looks to be a few promotional tickets up on Ticketmaster at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement