Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭50HX

We are not that stuck for wingers to move Ringrose there, in match maybe as a necessity but not starting

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

We are short top level wingers, Calvin Nash might get a call up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think it’s far too early for Ahern to be called up. He has some brilliant moments but he’s a luxury backrow atm. If you look at how Baird and Prendergast have preformed in terrible conditions over the last few weeks, the dirty stuff mixed with standout, that’s far closer to what’s needed at test level. Let Ahern find his feet at Munster for a season or two first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

The thing in Ahern's favour is he can play second row and back row, that versatility could have him included at the cost of someone else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He's in the same boat as Beirne and Baird but with less experience.

I'd imagine Prendergast is next up if POM is not back, rather than shift Beirne to 6.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Like Beirne, Baird and Henderson???

I think Connors could be the one called up if there’s a new back row brought in from the extended RWC squad, him or Hodnett but think Farrell would prefer Connors.

6 POM Prendergast Baird

7 VDF Connors

8 Doris Conan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Lowe and Hansen being out is a great chance to reward guys in good form like TOB, Nash and maybe give Balacoune another shot. Shame that Osbourne is out injured, I think he'd be in with a strong shot to make the 23 at least.

killgallen (injured), Bolton and Stockdale other names that are in form. Although Bolton is very much in the power winger mould to replace Lowe, would probably need a longer run to be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Do we know when the 6n squad will be announced? Presumably pretty soon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

It will never happen because they will want to win the 6 nations but there is a world in which a huge number of the internationals from the past 12 months could sit back and new blood be brought in

Players like:

Oli Jager, Roman Salanoa, Jack Boyle, Jeremy Loughman, Tom Stewart ,Edwin Edogbo, Joe McCarthy. Thomas Ahearn, Craig Casey, Sam Prendergast, Jack Carty, Jack Crowley Jacob Stockdale, Robert Baloucoune, Calvin Nash, Jordan Larmour, Stuart McCluskey, Cathal Forde, Antoine Frisch, Ciaran Frawley, Jimmy O'Brien, Shane Daly, Rob Russell, Tommy O'Brien etc...

I'm not saying drop the entire World cup squad but there is plenty of talent in Ireland that deserves more of a chance.

Resting players like Andrew Porter, Tadhg Furlong, Ronan Kelleher, Josh Van Der Flier, Jack Conan, JGP, James Lowe, Mack Hansen, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Hugo Keenan and others gives them time to get healthy, rest there bodies that have been in war after war after war the past 12+ months and give others a chance, whilst allowing these players to rediscover form isn't the worst idea in the world, especially when other teams in the competition apart from France and maybe Scotland are all in rebuild mode themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I can imagine Ger Gilroy saying that first sentence on OTB.

There is no world in which that happens for many reasons. One it’s disrespectful of our main competition, two we’d likely lose most of our games, three the mood music around the team would turn toxic with people calling for Farrell’s head, loss of prize money and dwindling crowds, four how do you think the key players getting rested who have short careers are going to react to being told they’re not needed for now. They’re just the ones that came off the top of my head but I’m sure there’s plenty more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

However in this world absolutely no team competing in the 6N would even dream of doing this because it would be lambs to the slaughter and somewhere between pointless and counterproductive.

What exactly is it you think this would accomplish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Why would any country do something as ridiculous in the best yearly competition in the World?

Ireland of all countries has a player welfare system in place to make sure the top internationals get the rest they need. Dropping the best players in the country in the blind hope that someone might be able to step up is a sure fire way to get the sack as head coach

No other team is going to mass drop players. France did it once because they had a World Cup to aim for and look how that left them. They won't do it again and go all out to win everything from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Roman Salanoa! You're joking? He's injured 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Mack Hansen confirmed out of the 6N. Shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

And Lowe still MIA, could be a very different looking back 3 come February.

Lowe was pictured in training (well, running at least) before the Ulster game. If he's not back this weekend then you'd wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Bad news around Mack, he looked in trouble at the time. Big opportunity for all the other wingers to get game time. Would Zebo be in the mix? On form he would deserve the call up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Zebo has only played 3 games this season, he's played well but has gotten a lot more airtime because they happened to be interpros...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There were some incredibly reckless clear outs in the Munster/Connacht game, leading to long term injuries for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think Hansen's injury was pretty much the last ruck of the game as well. Got dumped on his shoulder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ireland has coverage in most positions, of course 10 is the most glaring but I think Farrell is doing a grat job giving lads opportunitise, it's not a case of wholesale changes, more 1 or 2 changes per game to give players game time, we were 1 score from a RWC semi final so no need to change everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mack was one of our better performers in the RWC and is now out for the 6Ns, that's not good. How good would it be to have Conway now.

We're possibly without POM too, another stand out player during the RWC, at least in the back row there is cover.

JOB will apparently be out long term as well.

I think we still don't know the story with Lowe.

Stockdale to come back in? He's playing well this season. If Lowe doesn't make it we could have an unfamiliar face, Nash maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Think the back 3 will be Keenan, Stockdale and Nash...Ringrose and Bundee in the centre and crowley, JGP at half back. My only concern would be the french wingers, who give nightmares to better, more seasoned wingers than we have and I'd hate to see Nash or someone get a chance and then have a tough game against genuine world class players...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

We’re in dire straights if Simon Zebo is anywhere near the squad.

Keenan, Lowe, Nash, Stockdale, Baloucoune, O’Brien, Larmour all streets ahead. Bolton at Connacht has looked decent aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'm hoping TOB and Baloucoune get a shot. Little interest in seeing a Stockdale retread, he's not at the standard required imo. Such a shame Osbourne is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Baloucoune has lost confidence/form entirely at this stage. He looks a shadow of the player he was in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Keenan is full back, Lowe hasnt played, Nash should be ahead of Zebo, Stockdale has looked good and should be ahead of Zebo, Balacoune looks out of form, O Brien is injured, Larmour maybe. We arent stocked at wing at all at this stage.

Zebo shouldn't be near the squad but we are struggling there.

Advertisement