Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I agree, but if he came back to a PL team, and he ended up being named in an England team, no one connected with the team, or anyone in the media will care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Henderson as evident by his last season with Liverpool is absolutely shot as a player at the top level, any team that signs him would be making a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He absolutely did **** on his public reputation alright. A lot of media uproar and fan talk from it. I didn't hear any players talking ill of him though.

And those behind the scenes charity work that he did years previous. He still did it. It wasn't PR stuff. There has been stuff over the years that showed his reasoning behind wanting get behind certain campaigns such as foodbanks, the NHS (because of how they cared for his dad when he was sick etc).

At least he did it, not many others did. He did a lot that didn't get any media attention or recorded by official club accounts. It's easy say now that it was all PR stuff but you weren't saying that last May or when it happened.

And I'm no fan of Henderson after the way he left Liverpool but I'm also not writing off the work he did as I believe that he was genuine when doing it. Just because he lied and went there for the money doesn't make everything else untrue in my eyes. The money blinded his beliefs. And it has happened to others and it will happen to others in the future again.

He may be over the hill as a player but he can still be respected by his peers. And will have been a key part of the majority of the England squads integration into the set up.

Ask Bellingham about his first few days, weeks and breaks with the international team and I can guarantee you who the first player name he will mention. And Bellingham won't be the only player in the same camp.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread on a different topic about how James Milner basically babysat a player in the Liverpool academy/first team as he was getting a bit lazy in his application in terms of training, fitness, recovery etc. The young lad listened and is now a PL regular. Milner was on the way down at the time, around 35. But he still commanded respect because of his application in training etc.

Imagine the likes of Foden, Grealish and others being let loose during a tournament with no one to keep an eye on them on or keep them grounded. Walker is a 'senior player' but look at how he acts off of the pitch. You can add in Trippier there too. Kane doesn't inspire or act like a true leader. Who are the senior lads then? Pickford? Loves himself and all about image with him. Ramsdale is similar. Maddison is a bit jack the lad like Grealish gong by older stories. Rice sound you can trust him to be a honest pro but he is 1 person, and could be a bit pally with some considering his age. Rashford, no no Stones, maybe sound I can't tell tbh.. Shaw? It's slim pickings at this stage.

That dressing room needs the 'dad' figure like Henderson. Irrespective of him chasing the coin or not. He still had the leader role over the duration of that whole squads England career. That doesn't get lost. He earned their respect over years and years of being their leader inside that England camp. Players won't treat him differently because he went to Saudi, if he is a squad player. They will only treat him different if he is starting, which he won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

One of the reasons England have won sweet fa is having a player of Hendersons ability in the team. Worked in a system for Klopp but nowhere near good enough at top international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

You'd know the league was off when there's a discussion about Jordan bleeping Henderson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Havertz played much better than Saka today. He’s not a prolific goalscorer annd wouldn’t claim to be. Arsenal need Saka, Martinelli and Odegaard to find their shooting boots. If they do, then Havertz would be the perfect Firmino type no9. He’s a better footballer than Jesus and Nkeitiah, but he’s not a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But why would he be in the team, those on here who say he should be say it's because he is respected,by who? He shat the bed on that front,by current ability,I don't see anyone saying that,so why should he be in the squad ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I've seen nothing to say he's better than Jesus, who for all his faults is a brilliant player. Neither is a brilliant goalscorer though, nor is Saka.

Arsenal are very methodical with the ball, too much so IMHO. That will get you so far, and if u was then I'd worry that they have reached their peak. Any team that has fullbacks like White and that Polish guy that started the last few games is not going to create too mick, and they have a natural defender in Declan Rice slowing things down on midfield too - he tends to dribble the ball forward rather than move it quickly. What it means is that when they get it into scoring positions, it happens too slow, and there are still a lot of opposition defenders in h e facinity able to get a block or a tackle in.

Arteta

"Merit-wise, performance-wise, there is no question who deserved to win the game."

The guy is either an eegit, or thinks everyone else is. Stupid statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was just thinking that. Obviously not all poor performances were on him. But it does look bad for him if you were to do a simple comparison of where Liverpool were this time last year with him in the midfield, to where they're now without!

• Advertisement

I'm a big fan of Rice, probably the best defensive midfielder in the league, but he's a bit of an issue to Arsenal offensively.

When you look at Arsenal last season, they got so many goals and created so many chances from direct quick passes from the likes of Xhaka in particular, who from deep positions would completely bypass the midfield and get quick ball to the front 3 in the blink of eye, and they were in on goal.

Rice doesn't have that pass in his locker, but he gives them more defensive structure and control of the ball. But it's definitely having a negative effect on how Arsenal are playing in the offensive department this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm no fan of man city but Rodri is the best DM in the world. He's a good bit better than most of the rest of the DMs in the PL.

Absolutely. Both Xhaka and Partay could do that, play quick direct passes vertically to the forward line. Rice is a good player, but he carries the ball forward, and in those few seconds it takes the defences are getting set.

The likes of nketia and Nelson have really no place in a squad chasing a championship though.

Rodri is comfortably the best midfielder in the league and probably within best 3 in the game currently.

What I meant by Rice being the best defensive midfielder, I'm saying he's the best at that exact skill, not since Kante have I seen anyone win tackle after tackle and cleanly win possession back without fouling, he does this countless times every game.

But he's alround game is not near Rodris levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think the manager/ coach is the man who ought to have the final say in transfer matters. I am sure Pep and Klopp, for example, have the power to say yea or nay to recommendations from their scouting networks and both have demonstrated excellent judgement in that regard having made very few "dud" buys over the years. I just don't think Ten Hag possesses the same clear headed level of judgement and this will cause his downfall rather than his coaching influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They have final say, but they have a team providing options, and making arguments for those options, rather than just going off their own knowledge. That support is absolutely huge to their success id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

What has Trippier done off the pitch that would have him alongside Walker? The only issue I was aware of was the gambling ban.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kane doesn't inspire? Yet Henderson does? Kane who kept things going at spurs when everyone else couldn't and kane who is absolutely terrorising bundesliga defenders ?

Nonsense and not because I don't think Henderson wasn't a good captain or whatever, he was, but everything you say about work, ethic, application and off the field that you would say about milner or Henderson pretty much applies to Kane too.

The fact they he is genuinely world class helps

Kane who swore on his daughter's life in order to be awarded a goal that he didn't score, so he could take it off of his team mate and finish runner up in a PL golden boot race. Kane who could have put England through to a World cup final by squaring the ball to a team mate to tap in from 3 yards out, but went for goal from a tight angle instead so he could the win golden boot. They didn't win. Kane who doesn't do the introductions for the new players in the England squad and passes that job off to Henderson. Kane who never won anything while captain at Spurs. Kept things going but they finished 3rd in a 2 horse race and completely lost it at Chelsea when their whole team got booked and they acted liked kids trying to injure Chelsea instead of trying to win the game.

I've genuinely never seen or heard of any good examples of strong leadership from Kane. He may be a great player, with lots of experience but that doesn't mean he is automatically a great leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think United are an example of how bad it can go when transfers are entirely at the hands of a manager. Once a manager requests a player they put all their focus on that and end up either missing out(De Jong) or end up overpaying to the point where a player can’t be moved without a huge financial hit. The only big signing that I can recall coming in without the managers request was Ronaldo who came because of Ferguson with some help from Ferdinand, and I remember thinking at the time I thought it was crazy that they celebrated a transfer happening that way as it just highlighted how dysfunctional the club was.

A transfer committee of some sort working on behalf of the club is an essential component for success these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The pleading for Henderson is just making the case for him to travel as a team mascot/coach rather than player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You don't need to keep writing eulogies about Henderson, nobody denied that he played a leadership role in the past. He put himself out there for the kids, we get it.

The whole point is the circumstances are now changed and there can be a legitimate question if he still has that same influence.

I'll say again, years ago it was CL winning captain of Liverpool who was meeting those young players so of course they respected him.

But today it is an over the hill money grabber taking a squad place from a more deserving player, it is no stretch to suggest that he may be viewed slightly differently today than he was 4 years ago.

Confidently stating that the players won't treat him differently seems a little premature to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm not sure any of those points are particularly convincing unless you have already entered the discussion intent on hammering Harry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He's not an eejit, but he is showing some inexperience and a dollop of arrogance.

He is equating having more of the game with deserving to win football matches. It doesn't. He's going through what Pep went through a little bit for a time, but has learned from.

Arteta, if you were to talk to him, would tell you that the only game in the last 7 that his team deserved to lose was the Fulham one. That looked magnanimous when he conceded that, but the fact that he's come out of most of those other games that they've drawn or lost saying that his team deserved more shows that he's missing something in terms of what he's looking for from his team. Pep has learned. When his team drew with Palace recently, he recognised the lack of intensity and speed in his own team's game contributed massively. I think if Arteta's team had let go of that same lead, Arteta would be adamant that his team deserved to win. There was a time where Pep would've done the same ad nauseum but not so much anymore (I'm using Pep as the comparison as he is a Pep disciple).

For Arsenal's sake, I'd hope he's laying into them behind the scenes about not being clinical or making the right choices in the final third.

The first half was Arsenal's, then most of the second half was Liverpool's. Liverpool were more clinical - that was the difference. Arteta needs to acknowledge that is a key part of football. Getting in positions is fine - most excellent teams get into those positions against anyone. Fair play to them, that makes them a good team. But it doesn't mean they deserved to win. Liverpool took their chances when they came - they deserved to win - and Arteta needs to find the fix. These are his players - he can't complain that he hasn't been given the players he wants. Arsenal are tight on FFP because of the Havertz transfer, so they can't just buy their way out of it. This will need coaching in order to fix.

Who's squad place, as a more defensive minded central midfielder, would he be taking? The most recent squads have had Rice, Philips, Henderson and if you count him as a defensive minded CM, Gallagher in it. And if Henderson does get a move back to a PL side for half a season, then his place will nearly be confirmed.

I'm not doubting that his current playing ability mean that he shouldn't be starting in the team but the squad isn't exactly brimming with quality. Kalvin Philips can't get near the Man City pitch this season, even when Rodri, Stones & others were injured, but still makes the squad handy every time. Does Philips count as a money-grabber considering how his career has panned out the last few years?

Who is more deserving of the place, and is ready to be integrated into the national team set up, and who is the vice captain ready to step up? Until those questions get answered, then he will continue to make the international squad IMO.

And it's not just England that this applies to. For example Argentina & Brazil have been picking players regularly from lower ranked leagues because of their stature within the international set up. Messi in MLS & Neymar in Saudi just 2 examples. We did it ourselves for years with Wes Hoolohan etc. Ronaldo is captain of Portugal, and still revered as a hero, while playing in Saudi longer than any other 'big' player. Mitrovic is starting for Serbia, Ruben Neves is starting for Portugal, Carrasco is continuing with Belgium. Laporte has a troubled relationship with Spain but has still been playing with the national team since his move to Saudi. Majority of the African players are still playing with their countries now in AFCON.

Ah christ the Henderson fan club is still out in force. A few years ago he was indispensible thats long past. In no way does he or even Phillips deserve a squad place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Due to the nature of the job, I think managers will tend to want players who can do the job now / more focused on immediate impact. Which is a fair request as that is what they are there for.

There would be very few managers at the very top now out there squad building for 3/4/5 years down the line, as they need to make sure they are in the job firstly.

This is where a Director of football and a transfer committee have to be involved - they need to be looking at the long-term health of a squad. They are in charge of the overall player profiling so when a manager is eventually moved on, and a new manager is brought in he has a squad that suits his needs but also he suits that squad.

The days of just handing the keys over to a new manager every few years are long long gone. Long-term consistency across the board is what will bring success, and everyone pulling in the same direction with the same end goal. You can't achieve that with just one guy anymore.

Even clubs like Real Madrid who traditionally would have been a "buy the current best player to fix our issues every summer" club. They have made some very impressive long-term squad-building moves over the last few years. You can see there is someone now also working on the bigger picture there.

They all do it bar Utd...

Not a fan club.

Why not tell us the players that are more deserving of a squad place?

Kane not winning anything at spurs doesn't make him not a good captain. Kane backing himself to score (given he's one of the best players in the world at it) doesn't make him a not good captain.

Spurs didn't finish third in a 2 horse race. Thats a myth. Go back and revisit that season. Leicester were out in front the whole time, spurs didn't collapse either they started slowly and turned it into Something of a race.

Kane delegating player introductions to Henderson makes him good captain.

He's captained England more than any other player. He's captained them to finals in a tournemtn that hendseron was there as cheerleader and a semi finals. (Henderson was an important player for that).

His work ethic are consistently lauded, his ability to play with pretty much anyone. He improves players around him.

He doesn't clap his hands and shout focus a lot maybe. Do the pointing that makes people think that's what a leader is, but if you were to ask England players would you take kane or Henderson and only one, you're taking kane.

And again, not diminishing Hendersons qualities. He had them all, but Kane has many of them too. For years people thought he was overrated, it was a blip and look at him

• Advertisement

Well squads are reduced to 23 again for the Euros including 3 keepers so that only leaves 20 outfield spots.

LB: Trippier, Shaw

CB: Stones, Maguire, Dunk, Guehi

RB: Walker, James, Rico Lewis (if James isn't fit Trent might fill in back there if needed - or just call up Colwill and move Trippier to the right.)

DM: Rice - nominally the only one but thanks to Pep both Stones and Lewis can comfortably play DM.

CM: Trent, Gallagher, Bellingham,

AML/R/C: Maddison, Foden, Saka, Grealish, Palmer, Bowen (he could double as 3rd striker in the squad as he is playing there for West Ham since Antonio injury)

ST: Kane, one of Wilson/Watkins/Toney (maybe a 2nd aswell if he doesn't bring Bowen).

Thats roughly the squad with 2 for every position. Maybe Bowen and Palmer could miss out if Southgate just goes for the out of form reliables Rashford (Rashford emulating Bowen in being a winger/3rd striker option) and Sterling.

As is Ward-Prowse should already be ahead of Gallagher by right but is just not fancied by Southgate for whatever bizarre reason.

Like it ultimately depends on Southgates set up but plugging Henderson/Phillips into the squad as a specialist DM back up ahead of attackers like Maddison/Saka/Foden/Grealish is just not a net benefit. He doesn't bring near enough to make up for what is being given up dropping an attacker. Especially when the versatility of Lewis and Stones means theres already more than adequate DM cover included in the defenders.

As it is in order to try and fit players in I imagine:

A) Bellingham will end up beside Rice as 3 of the attacking midfielders will start behind Kane. If Southgate goes 4-2-3-1.

B) Bellingham and Trent play CM ahead of Rice DM and only 2 of the attacking midfielders are selected to play on the wings instead in a 4-3-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is absolutely an issue that Philips gets picked, just as it was when Maguire was getting picked despite not playing. Picking non-performing players changes the group dynamic in dangerous ways and it is a huge black mark against Southgate that he does it.

But lets not move the goalposts. My point was very simple, you said Henderson is worth his spot because he provides leadership and I pointed out reasons why that may actually no longer be the case.

Listing off a bunch of alternative names or options won't change the point made at all. I could list some names and you would just try to pick holes in them, so why bother.

Gallagher until recently and JWP play different positions. I'd take JWP though because Gallagher is not as good as either Foden, Bellingham, or a fit Mount on that advanced position. He's done alright in the DM role that poch has him in lately, case to have him in ahead of Phillips who on merit at least has no place in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Henderson disappointed me most not because he went to Saudi and chased the money but the fact he didn't have the maturity to realize, I'm 33, my time is coming to an end, I can stay at Liverpool (on a great contract btw thanks to Klopp) play a part of something bigger and be a club legend. I saw him taking on that Milner role, say what you want about him but he'd of been a great impact player off the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If the main reason Henderson should go to the Euros is his mentoring abilities and his way of guiding young players why not take him as a coach? He's been caught out bullshiting a couple of times now. Not much of a mentor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

@Fitz* not sure if you saw my earlier post, but I'm still curious about this with Trippier if you could provide more info! Maybe it is just the gambling ban but I'm presuming its more than that for you to be comparing him to Walker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I assume he means the recent rumours around the personal lives of him and a few of the newcastle players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yeah that's fair overall. I'd have one or two switches myself overall but you'd have that when picking 20 players!

I think most football fans would think that's what the squad should look like in theory. And I would imagine that most English fans would say the same too. Southgate has gone against that for a long time now though.

Those auxiliary players that you mention like Walker, Stones, Trent, Rashford, Bowen are very important with their versatility and nearly all will be included for that reason.

Reece James never being fit can cause a Domino effect with Trippier or Trent going as a RB and thus creating space elsewhere. It's in these situations that managers tend to go to the tried and tested players that they know and trust, rather than taking a chance on a young lad, like a Cole Palmer or even a Curtis Jones (left field shout!) etc, even though they may be more deserving on merit and current form. That's where Henderson will come in I reckon. If he is not there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wouldn’t think James will make it, he can barely play these days.

Yeah there's been a few stories over the years of let's just say not ideal off the pitch behaviour. Whether they are true or not is one thing but there is the ban for gambling alright. There was a good bit of talk from Newcastle fans a couple weeks ago that he was kept away from the first team for a week or so with a 'fake injury' because of some scandal he was caught up in with a hotel in Newcastle and playing away from home, pardon the pun. His form was suffering as a result they said.

Henderson being paid to play football by the Saudi PIF seems to be a stick to beat with him with. Don't they pay Trippier's wages too?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Rico lewis from city currently has a better chsnce making the squad then Philips & Henderson i would say. Playing the similar inverted role like he does with rodri to rice.

I wouldn't disagree with that.

Again, his versatility is a big help here for him. But then on the other side, his lack of experience, especially in actually being in senior international squads will work against him here. He'll have to make the next couple of squads, and maintain his club minutes & form, if he wants to get into the Euros squad IMO.

He was in the last squad.

The fact he could be 3rd choice RB/LB/DM is invaluable in a tournment format like Euro's/World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Indispensable 18 months ago winning two trophies and leading Liverpool to second in EPL and the CL final.

Leaving all the other stuff aside, money, politica, I'd be surprised is he doesn't have a useful role to play in the prem when/if he's back this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Completely unrelated to the PL, I came across this earlier, Norwich City released it late last year for world mental health day. Powerful stuff and it puts the tribalism nonsense into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Calvert Lewin’s red card has been rescinded. Just shows you how many different opinions there can be from a ref, 2 VAR officials and those looking at the appeal - all for the same incident.

Sven Goran Eriksson has terminal cancer and under a year to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's 75. Really sad to see. 45 years as a manager, that's mental.

Was great in Special One TV 🤣

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement