Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Championships 2023/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

St Brigid’s will beat these Derry Girls in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thought the momentum was with Crokes, but fair to Glen for digging in to hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

given the conditions great second half, crokes had a chance with that short point ,after last years furore, Glen players seam humble, not sure who I'm for in final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Get them pundits a decent place to stand away from those eejits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Great finish to the game, well done to Glen for sticking with it when it looked like they might have blown it. Bad miss from Walsh at the end, he'll be kicking himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Novel final pairing. Derry v Roscommon. I would make Glen favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That's the beauty of the club championship, a great club can emerge in any country.

We had teams from Clare, Antrim, Laois, Westmeath and others in finals. And going way back even that great Eire Og Carlow team.

(but in fairness, Derry and Roscommon are both Div 1 countries, right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Best championship by a mile.

But I still think it's lost it's charm since the move away from St.Patrick's Day. Certainly less build up.

Yes, even in beating Corofin and Castlehaven comfortably, it still feels like they haven't needed to reach top gear.

I'm fascinated to see how they play in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Gael85

Different goalie. Conor Ferris was goalie in 2022. David Higgins in goal today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Couldnt really fault the goalie for that goal?

The defender dropped it. Every keeper now is coming off his line to support working the ball out of defence.

Although maybe he passed it to a defender under a bit of pressure, but he still should have held the pass.

It will be interesting.

For me I would have thought the Munster championship to be poor enough, easily the weakest of the 4. Ulster championship looked to be way ahead of it, quality wise.

Id make Glen warm enough favourites on what I have seen so far. Im not sure that this will be their biggest test of the season.

St Brigids hardest game this year was the Ros county final, they only beat Boyle by 1pt. The all Ireland final vs Glen will be a much easier win for them.

I would not be surprised if that is the final also in August. Roscommon vs Derry with a big win for Ros despite the best efforts of Mickey Harte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That was a farce today. No way in a million years should that game taken place in thise conditions. GAA don't give a damn about their players. All week there was huge build up to this game and I was looking forward to watching it. Who in their right mind thought that should go ahead. Players were even saying afterwards they couldn't see the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Playing a December provincial final, February AI Semi and March final was the height of madness looking back on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,512 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why are you getting so triggered by someone not understanding commentary in Irish ffs?

It’s a tough call to make, cos giving players a defined timeline greatly helps their welfare. Hence we see games in poor conditions going ahead.

The fog didn’t seem to affect the game, other than maybe kick outs. But if players are saying they couldn’t see the ball then maybe it should have been postponed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

How? Genuinely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭1373

Probably not as bad at it as looking at it on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Players actually said they couldn't see the ball...so think it was as bad as on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

Playing an AI semi on the first Sunday in January is utter madness. The inter county championship was done in July, and even earlier for most counties.

Maybe so but the old set up of an early December provincial final, AI semi final 2 months later and final 5 or 6 weeks later was the absolute definition of insanity and heard this 1st hand from former players who had this scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leslie Purkiss

But the IC AI was played in late September. All of this should be wrapped up by early December at latest. Can’t see why takes so long. Forget about dual players. It’s their choice to play two different sports at an elite level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

No it was worse, the camera can cut through the fog better.

I was there and was in the Co Armagh part of the ground, where there was giant screen and people were watching that as they could not see what was going on otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That's not true at all. Visibility far better at pitch level and the glare from the floodlights made it significantly worse of a spectacle on TV. Pretty easy to work out - players could see what was happening without major issue, despite anything Shane Walsh says, when on TV you could literally only see the near side of the field. Still don't think it should have gone ahead though.

Glen the far superior team throughout and it would have been an absolute travesty if they'd manage it to lose it. That said, they'd have been the architects of their own stupid downfall as they decided to sit back after about 35 minutes, deciding they'd done enough. That let Rory O'Carroll, who was getting absolutely roasted and should have been black carded, come out to the middle and start to have an influence on things. Mannion and Walsh more than happy to rise to the challenge and kicked some wonderful scores. The Walsh pass for the goal was incredible. They could have won it but wouldn't have deserved it at all. Glen **** the togs and a freak play aside, Crokes looked very poor throughout, save two or three players. A lot of miles on their clock.

Should have been a red all day long. Lane completely bottled it. There wasn't anything "late" about it in the slightest. If you're early or even on time, you're not allowed lead with the forearm. He raised his elbow to smack him in the face and succeeded.

More sports need to start looking at the way rugby applies its laws/rules and how consequences of foul play, accidental or otherwise, are factored into punishment.

Glen will start, deservedly, as firm favourites but if they take their foot off the gas and think they have it wrapped up early enough the way they did today, St. Brigid's are more than good enough to take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭tanko

Conor Lane should never be let anywhere near a GAA pitch, let alone referee games like this.

You've shown your true colours anyway with dual players comment, the reason most players play both is there clubs wouldn't be able to field teams if they didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭billyhead

If anyone has a spare ticket for the final they won't be using, I would gladly take it off them please.

I dont see what the big deal about playing into January is?

I think it has been a really good club championship in both codes. Lots of games every weekend right up to Christmas. I enjoyed it.

Those weather conditions could easily have occurred in December.

Exactly its just the part of the world we live in, I remember early Sept being at games played in heatwave conditions, 2 weeks later games had to be rescheduled due to waterlogged pitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Exactly. We've had snow and storms on St Patrick 's Day in the past.

The final is in Croke Park, so no chance it will sell out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The Glen v Kilmacud match clearly shouldn't have been played yesterday and if the schedule wasn't so crowded they could have rescheduled it.

It still takes way too long for county's to complete their club championships and is proof that irrespective of all the changes the GAA at central level have done to ease fixture congestion the problem is mainly to do with county boards.

Offaly hurlers were out of the championship on June 17th and the Offaly hurling final was played on October 15th

Offaly footballers were out of the championship on June 10th and the senior football final was on September 24th.

It should not take that long for any county to complete their championship, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

When did the Championship start and when did the club leagues finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Clubs leagues finished in around early june.

Again clubs leagues take way to long to finish.They should be weekly fixtures not once every 2 weeks.

Too much nonsense in GAA over having gaps between fixtures, what the hell is wrong with having a one match per week schedule for all competitions.I imagine the players would like it more as it would reduce the training to matches ratio.

Why not?

A county is perfectly entitled to take 4 months to complete their championship in my book once they are ready in time for the provincials.

Tipperary were out at end of June and had their county final at end of October. It was a super club championship, there is very little I would change about it.

Like a round of championship every 2 weeks for 4 months is still only maybe 8 rounds, allowing a few weeks prep. With a round robin stage, this seems grand to me, maybe some divisional games etc.

There are only a handful of clubs still going in January and lucky them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I saw yesterday there that both respective mangers were not consulted about whether they wanted to play the game. I was shocked at that. As both said it should not have been played.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Marty Morrissey said on the radio that if a referee can see both goals from halfway on a foggy day, then the match can start. Even though it could mean that players at either end could not see the opposite goals. I found this bit online, which says that there is a similar test for Dutch soccer matches.

"I found the guidelines from Dutch FA (dated december 2014) It says (among a lot of other rules) that a referee has to postpone play whenever the fog is so heavy that the referee is unable to see the goals from the centre spot."

• Advertisement

It's not their decision. If the referee deems the conditions playable, and one team doesn't want to play, they are free to forfeit.

As has been pointed out on numerous occasions, conditions at pitch level were much different to how it looked on TV. Shite for sure, but playable. 1-14 and 2-10 are some impressive scorelines for teams who supposedly couldn't see the ball or the goals.

What about the practically of TV viewers as well though? One of the biggest club matches in the country that lots of neutrals from around the country would have had an interest in. But the fog actually got worse rather than better! To be honest I don't know how the commentators managed even though at half time they were saying it was not as bad as it looked on TV, out on the pitch.

I got to be honest I resorted to more 'listening' to the commentary rather than 'watching' it in the latter stages because watching it became almost pointless. It was a struggle.

It is a bit of a shame that is two years in a row big games have been overshadowed by controversy. Ironically with the same two teams.

Both managers should have got together in that case and had a discussion. If both refused to play what would the ref do then? He would have to call it off?

What are the rules on it if both refuse to continue/play?

There is no controversy over yesterday's game. None.

I don't know about specific rules but I imagine they would risk exposing themselves and their clubs to suspensions and fines.

By controversy I mean that both managers did not want it played and were surprised the ref went ahead with it. Plus the game became virtually unwatchable on the telly.

The only time I remember similar fog at match was Dublin v Mayo in Westport (League) I think it was a televised game. But it was definitely called off.

There won't be a word about it in a month's time never mind this time next year. Last year's error was according to one particular poster on Boards going to change the game of football fundamentally forever. But it blew over soon enough, and it was only journalists this year who were trying to revive it. The other match in Thurles could also be termed "controversial" because of half the pitch being frosted.

Interestingly the Galway-Offaly game yesterday in Tullamore was abandoned with 15 mins to go, due to the fog.

So the referee can do that if conditions are getting worse.

Now, I'm not sure how the fog differed in Tullamore v Newry or if it differs hurling v football, but still.

I forgot to mention the match in Tipp that looked dangerous as well. It has a real "ah sure it is the GAA for ya" feel about the whole thing. Low expectations and accepting of conditions that other sports would go mad over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭flasher0030

There will be loads of tickets available.

It's not the intercounty all-Ireland final.

For me, it was best to get both games played. Thousands of spectators would have to get refunds. And new dates arranged for three more games. Sometimes human beings have to make decisions which are imperfect, but not as imperfect as the alternatives. Like the soccer game in Brussels:

"Ultimately 39 fans were killed—the majority of whom were Italian—and hundreds of other spectators were injured. Fearing mayhem if the match was canceled, Juventus and Liverpool ended up playing, and Juventus won, 1–0."

• Advertisement
Advertisement