Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This doesn't stack up. SF, FG and FF are on 67% combined in today's Sunday Independent poll (unless people are somehow lying about their voting intentions).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Which NGOs specifically do people have an issue with?

Top 3 anyone. I see the acronym constantly but I never know the actual NGOs. Anyone?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ICCL and the IRC are subject to frequent criticism here, which is often absent in other media.

The problem so often isn't the NGO's themselves but the fact that many of them are substantially state funded (not all and I don't know how much if anything the two mentioned above get). In effect you have the State funding lobby groups which push policy in the favour of the NGO's. It's a money, lobby, policy circle that effectively blocks out other voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Augme

When the polls don't show it's the number topic and the support for parties who are in favour of the current approach has significantly shifted why woukd the government be stupid enough to think it has become the number one topic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

INAR are a government funded group. Whenever there was Direct Provision centre being set up in just say Roscommon. A new branch of INAR would pop up called INAR -Roscommon. And it would likely be the same people from INAR Donegal or INAR Carlow. They are paid to protest on behalf of the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

More straw men. I am not afraid nor do I think they are any more likely to engage in criminal behaviour. There are just too many now and we do not have the housing, hosptals and other facilities to support this massive growth in population.

Ok thanks, I have heard of those 2 organisations. I thought people were referring to charities to be honest. I wonder is that what all posters think when they mention NGOs.

I haven't heard of that NGO ever. Thanks for the info.

INAR (the Irish Network Against Racism) is a national network of anti-racism civil society organisations which aims to work collectively to highlight and address the issue of racism in Ireland.

You're surprised that an anti-racism organisation might receive funding from the government? Racism is completely illegal and prohibited under several different facets of Irish law (I've nothing to do with these guys btw).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

Politicians haven't had to go to the doorsteps in 5 years. If you think housing and by extension, immigration, won't be one of the main issues they encounter, then your living a very sheltered existance. This is what you and a small cohort of posters are failing to grasp, people in the most part are not racist or against sensible immigration, people are against continuing to pile more people into a country that is in the midst of a housing crisis. If your bath is overflowing the most sensible thing to do is turn off the taps first then work on fixing the problem.

But how does any of that impact on the next general election? It sounds like SF, FG and FF are going to pick up a very similar combined vote share to 2020.....there is no actual 'revolution'. Even in the UK, it doesn't look like immigration and the small boats is going to be a deciding issue in their general election this year despite all the shouting from the Daily Mail and GB News ; there is too much other stuff going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think middle class Irish people that left mayo 40 years ago are selling themselves well on this matter 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Thing is, polling indicates it is far from the number one issue. And that tends to be pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Is number 3 considered "far" from number 1? Especially when 3 is clearly implicit in 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

In the current context, housing, cost of living and immigration as seen as intertwined issues by many people.

Interesting that you are still in the deny, deny, deny phase of just telling people that the issue they're concerned with isn't an issue they're concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

If you are claiming that anything short of a mass electoral boycott (or general strike?) signals, and rubber-stamps, 100% acceptance of current refugee/immigration policy that is both dishonest and a huge high-stakes gamble that could have massive unintended consequences down the line.

For good or ill most ordinary people are still more or less at the stage where they think of their TDs as someone who will take their concerns on board. (Are they wrong?)

My guess is that you are the product of a wider civic breakdown represented by snarling Democrat vs Republican plus Brexit political warfare (which you consume round the clock). By seeking to introduce this corrupted, all-or-nothing learned style of politics to Ireland you are trampling on the existing civic/political culture here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Some neck, pissing on people with genuine concerns.

So if SF, FG and FF get 65%+ of the combined first preference votes at the next general election, you are going to claim this is a cast iron rejection of their immigration policies and proof that the "Irish people" want change?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ireland are acting like way above their weight . All the European countries have a history of imperialism , and immigration . We don’t . It’s not right wing , it’s just sensible that rather than behave like empires we do what helps Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unlike America where people will consider themselves American fundamentally, there is no shared/common European identity or heritage (the history that is there is historically bad - wars, cold wars, resentments etc).

When push comes to shove - as we saw during the Financial Crisis and the start of this migration issue - individual countries will look out for themselves. In a European context that means predominately Germany deciding what's best for it and that decision directly impacting on the rest of the bloc (for good or bad). We saw this with the "bailout" were were bounced into and now with our alleged "obligations" on migration.

This is fundamentally why the EU will never work as anything more than a trade group (the EEC it should never have mutated from). It's also poisionous to Ireland because too many people still have an innate inferiority complex and need for approval or validation from our percieved "betters", or to be told what to do - it's the EU now.. before that it was the Church... before that the UK etc.

This is why we have weak self-serving politicians like Varadkar, Martin, McEntee and O'Gorman being led by the nose by the EU and the NGOs on this issue. It's more important to be seen to be doing the "right thing" and "doing our part in Europe" than looking after the interests of Ireland and her people - especially when the decisions being made elsewhere are having devasting effects here. We've never fully recovered from the Financial Crisis (headline nonsense about Corporation tax takes regardless) and the effects are obvious in the further deterioration of healthcare and access, housing, rural investment and so on. Even though we are supposedly a "rich" country, most of these core services and infrastructures are worse than ever!

Until though we get politicians who WILL put Ireland's interests first and NOT roll over for a belly rub (or ruffle of the hair if you're Enda Kenny) from our EU "friends" though, the situation will continue to deteriorate on the ground. It's arguably already too late in some respects - the country has been changed massively in even the last 2 years and the negative effects of these policies will carry through into the next several decades (as they have in other countries further down this track).

As an electorate we need to dump the parish pump and "always voted for him because mam and dad did" attitudes and the legacy politicians with it. They haven't served us well to-date so there's no reason to expect that that'll suddenly change now. Look seriously at the options, challenge the Independents or smaller parties that appear on the list, ask them the questions that are being asked here (and all over the country at this stage) and above all... THINK.... think about what is best for your family and community and the country they will be living in not just for the next few years, but the next few decades!

It's the only way we have a chance of coming through this and the far more serious issues yet to come (again, Ireland isn't special. There's no reason to expect we'll be spared the experiences of those further down this path), and the next global recession (which is inevitable given the cyclical nature of our economic systems) will probably break an already increasingly divided EU and we need to be ready for that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

A family of eight from Ballinasloe have been forced to live in a one-bedroomed caravan since February of last year.

The caravan has no heating, electricity or running water and the recent cold snap has made life extremely difficult.

Lookit, if a one bedroom caravan with no leccy, no water and no heating is good enough for a family of 8 Irish, why isn't it good enough for refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sounds like they'll be given a 5 bedroom house sooner or later, for free. i'd do a stint in a caravan for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There isn't many 5 bed local authority houses any where in the country these days, but I seem to remember two 5 bed houses were purchased by the government to house a single large Syrian family a few years in Sligo or Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why is Margaret out in her PJs outfit? Puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Astounding disregard for public opinion

Complete arrogance from the govt - “It doesn’t matter what you all want, we know what’s best so be silent”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If i didn’t have elderly parents here, I’d just get the fück out of here asap…. God knows to where, but it’s really a depressing hole of a place. Our elected representatives…. Never mind giving us the deaf ear, it’s the middle finger at this stage. It’s just not democratic. They know the majority of people are dead against this…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭conorhal

The last time I can think of that the governance of the nation was this bad, was when the Whigs were in power in London, and they sent over Trevelyan as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland to lecture Paddy about how the privations of their situation was a result of their moral terpitude and ignorance, so a little starvation would do them a moral good ...in an Malthusian manner.

We're getting the same neo-liberal Whig policy from FFG today, greedy landlords gobbling up resources and cash while the unwashed masses are chided about their 'moral failure' to welcome the wholesale destruction of their nation for their own good (and that of voracious capitalists)

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

I hear you. I am seraching for apartments in Spain as we speak. I always planned to get a winter pad for an early retirment, but with this government letting every illegal fraudster into the country and spending our taxes on supporting them, while they give back nothing ... it has expediated my plans to spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

No but you need them boarding the aircraft departing for Ireland.

Why would a genuine refugee discard id or travel documents between departure country and arrival in Ireland.

Advertisement