Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The funding structure was proposed in the report which justified this scheme.

The main source of revenue was to be from unclaimed deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

It doesnt really matter how revenue stream breaks down. There will be a significant cost to run this not for profit body and the consumer will pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Experience across schemes shows that unclaimed deposits run fairly high for the first few months and then start to decline pretty rapidly. Ultimately sale of reprocessed plastic and aluminium is the big driver of revenue, along with producer fees.

Have you citation for this experience, with specifics into the breakdown of funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Mainly ,my experience working in the packaging industry. Its pretty common across schemes that the first few months are challenging. it takes time for customers to adjust. After 6 months to a year the return rates tend to rise rapidly.

As the return rate rises the significance of unclaimed deposits drops off, significantly. Given the not for profit element of the operators, the slack has to come from elsewhere, in this case it comes from sale of material and producer fees. Ultimately, producers are the ones who have to make up the shortfall.

• Advertisement

Indeed and ultimately cue price inflation for the consumer. Will be interesting to see how it evolves

So you have no tangible citation just opinion, would that be fair?

I don't think you need to work in the industry to be aware that a brand new scheme like this will take time to grow and return rates are forecasted to increase over 5 years.

The hilarious part of that forecast is we have no figures currently to base it on.

The reality is the consumer who has and currently does the right thing will again pay the majority for this scheme, in financial penalties and inconvenience.

That's a simple fact, it is baked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to the website

The system is funded through producer fees for each product placed on the market.

So I'd imagine that's actually their main revenue stream

Aluminium can recycling rates are around 60% according to many sources, do you have a source that shows this higher

The collection companies now also have less product in their bin trucks to process, less weight in the trucks means less fuel used transporting the waste etc etc.

Your bin charges are probably going to go up this year and the companies will probably blame this scheme but the actual reason for the increase will be plain and simple greed

The website also claims this scheme is "convenient for everyone".

Which is beyond bullshít. Any additionally fees incurred by producers will be past onto consumers.

Any additional fees incurred by retailers will be passed onto consumers.

The drop in revenue from collection companies will be passed onto consumers.

The rejection rate will be passed onto consumers, the fraud rate will be passed onto consumers.

This expensive folly will be solely shouldered by consumers.

Either way, unredeemed deposits is the main source of revenue

While the annual cost is €67.1million, 47% of this is covered by unredeemed deposits and 23% by material revenues,meaning the net cost is €20.0million

That figure is pre pandemic, so you can probably multiply it by 2.5-3 now.

Your bin charges are probably going to go up this year and the companies will probably blame this scheme but the actual reason for the increase will be plain and simple greed

Well no the actual reason for the increases will be loss of revenue. That's a fact. It's acknowledged and baked into the scheme.

The inflation of these loses will be greed.

But considering these companies operate in somewhat of a cartel I don't see how people can do much about it. Do you? The net effect is the same, the consumer pays.

Cut out the middle man and the expensive theatre and directly burn their rubbish is what will likely happen.

There is no scheme going to be convenient for everyone obviously a small number of people are going to be put out in some way or another, that's just the nature of the game of life. But for the vast majority who buy their produce from a shop there will be no inconvenience

As for your crystal ball predictions, we will wait and see

Yes, the bin companies operate a cartel, that's an issue that should really be dealt with but is separate from this new scheme. If this scheme wasn't introduced they'd still raise their prices and if the scheme gets disbanded after 18 months I guarantee they won't lower their prices either

People will burn their rubbish instead of claiming the deposit back? Really

Where's the 47% figure from?

• Advertisement

For anyone (the majority) who currently recycle their bottles and cans at home, this scheme represents an inconvenience. Most people will just shrug their shoulders and move on but its still an inconvenience.

There is no scheme going to be convenient for everyone obviously a small number of people are going to be put out in some way or another,

Don't claim it on your website so.

Also a small number of people will be put out? You sure?

Surely that would be the vast majority no?

For me personally, currently trash goes in the appropriate bin. I pay a premium for this service because of convenience plus it allows me to achieve a near perfect recycling offering rate.

Soon I have to buy extra storage because this trash now has to be treated with the upmost care.

Soon I have to take that unblemished trash (hopefully) not yards like now, but miles. Queue to dump, Queue for my refund.

Then I will have to travel further to another venue who does manually sorting for the rejections. Queue to process and my refund.

So please tell me again how this is convenient for everyone apart from a "small number of people"?

Where's the 47% figure from?

The environmental company who were hired to shoe horn this scheme into every country that currently doesn't have it.

Pray tell how is it an inconvenience for you? I accept that a small amount of time will be needed at the RVMs before you do your shopping but on the flip side you now save time cleaning/crushing your cans or bottles

One of the biggest issues I’m seeing with this is the elderly and those with mobility issues are being unfairly hit and have often got limited incomes and are amongst the most vulnerable.

I have three relatives who are completely dependent on home delivery services. They will not be able to deliver bottles back to supermarkets.

One of them is also very unlikely to want help to do so even if it’s offered. She’s in her 80s and fiercely independent. Asking relatives or neighbours isn’t something she’ll do. I’d say she’ll just likely just continue to use the recycling collection she has and will end up absorbing the costs.

We pay €100 a year for her for glass bag to avoid her having to build up and return glass bottles and we also buy all her Greyhound bags as part of the general shopping.

I’m also not seeing much if any awareness about this stuff other than on forums like this. Most people seem to not be aware it’s something that is happening and there hasn’t been much debate or discussion about it.

I could see this being a lot more controversial than the government may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I cannot agree with your first paragraph, I don't know how you are making out a 'small number of people' will be put out. Everyone that currently puts their plastic bottles and cans in their green bins will be put out (find somewhere to store them, bring them back to the shop, queue up at machine, pray the machine accepts them, queue up in shop for refund).

On the contrary, I would say only a small number if people will not be put out by the new scheme.

Not my website

So I'm not sure how you think the scheme will work. The vast majority of people will separate this recycling and drop it into into the RVM at the supermarket before they do their shopping. Where's the inconvenience in that?

I still think from a government party point of view this hasn’t been widely absorbed by the media or the general public. When it lands there’ll be a lot of annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Asbolutely everyone will be put out by this, it's just a small number of people will pretend they're not because they want to be the bestest boy in class who loves all green policies.

I never said it was your website, but you are quoting as if it is fact.

Which it isn't.

• Advertisement

A lot of people work pretend to be the bestest boy / girl in the class. Quite a lot of ppl are at the pin or their collar already and this is just another cost.

A lot of people seem to find the existing commercial bin system an expensive, cumbersome mess as it is.

Ireland also has a retail sector that is remarkably unwilling to reduce packaging, and the two German discounters are amongst the worst in that regard. If I go to SuperValu as least I have the option of loose veg and fruit and compostable bags. If I use Aldi and Lidl it’s all plastic trays and I can’t avoid them, and they are cheaper than SV.

Yet, all the pressure is put on the consumers to clean up after the FMCG sector.

I would wonder if Ireland even changed policies requiring better packing would the sector even respond? Most of our consumer goods are UK specs anyway.

You've answered your own question there. No problem if youre happy to champion this scheme but in all fairness please refrain from telling me that something isnt inconvenient for me

What you consider to be an inconvenience I find a bit strange

Find somewhere to store them - Is a shopping bag that rare in the majority of households?. Could even use the box they came in for beer

Bring them back to the shop - Is this act not already completed while you go to the shop to do your shopping?

Queue up at a machine - How long are the queues going to be exactly?

Pray the machine accepts them - Not sure why this would be needed but if you are religious enough to pray for such a thing then this shouldn't be a major inconvenience

Queue up in shop for a refund - These machines will give cash...

I never said it wouldn't be inconvenient for you as I don't know your situation, please don't put words like that in my mouth

I'm not sure what conversation you think you're a part of but you have this scheme all wrong. I suggest you take a closer look at how it will work before commenting further

What you consider to be an inconvenience I find a bit strange

You would be the outlier not me TBF.

If you think walking yards to a bin compared to driving miles to process waste in multiple locations is not convenient.

I'm not qualified to change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thanks, I see it there. With a target 90% success rate, that will leave 10% of deposits unclaimed, which that report claims will amount to €31.74 million annually. And they further estimate this will pay for 47% of the operating costs of the scheme.

In what way will "Everybody" be put out by this? Please explain

In all fairness most reasonable people might consider 'Pray tell how is it an inconvenience for you?' as suggestive that you think that it isnt

• Advertisement

Why would you drive miles just to get rid of rubbish in multiple locations? That's stupidity, not inconvenient

Why not bring them with you while doing your weekly shopping and dispose of them there? Fairly sure it's been suggested to you a few times here that that's the most convenient thing to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement