Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Ah yeah. Like you say It can only downgrade, but christ almighty I wish it wouldn't. That runs reminds me of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

You can be almost guaranteed that the op is one of the coldest members but I would hope to see less milder members in the ensembles. The most notable aspect of this run is the fact that blocking is reinforced so the model most be picking up signals from somewhere. We are usually at the point of downgrades 7 days out so you would hope the 18z and subsequent 0z ensembles continue a trend.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

*botched gif*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The 18z pub run is not a cold outlier. It's towards the colder end of the range but several other members that do go colder compared to the operational so there is more scope for both upgrades and downgrades.

Clare (410ft asl)

Pleasantly surprised to see that. More notably, there are some sub -10 850s cropping up which is always my barometer for cold spell likelihood. A colder ensembles overall.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Beginning to feed into met.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I must get out warmer socks for when it drops from 0C to -0C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Reminiscent of when they told us any snow would fall in the Irish sea mountains.

Clare (410ft asl)

Not much has changed overnight in terms of cold prospects other than the manner in which it happens. Safe to say all models favour a colder blast of weather from Sunday or Monday and it's now more likely than not as we enter a more reliable timeframe. Some of the solutions for how we get there are a bit mad though.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Been travelling the last 24 hours back from summertime South Africa, was cut off from the internet (probably for my own good 😂) so I couldn’t look at weather charts during that time.

well worth the wait though! Thank you Wolfie for all the chart updates and photos 🫡.

Seasonal 3C today & the pilot said “3C max today at Dublin airport with a light easterly breeze” … don’t think I’ve heard a forecast like that in January for quite some time ☺️

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Taking the good with the bad. Here is the bad. The JMA, which I like personally, is Atlantic zonal hell.

JMA......

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Better looking ECMWF ensembles this morning but still plenty of bland options there. Interesting week ahead and great to see mainly dry outlook either way

Clare (410ft asl)

06Z GFS is very good.Keeps the cold going through next week. A very unstable airflow by midweek so more wintry looking. Atlantic influence kept much further south and west

Still going for the following Saturday

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

GEFS mean is excellent. I am counting at least 7 members going colder than the op run from Sunday. Ens will be colder than 00z

Just 6 days out now.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

There's some beauts within the ensembles

this would not be too shabby for this day next week. Some lucky kids might miss a week of school if something like this came to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's slowly creeping into the reliable timeframe.

Clare (410ft asl)

For me, the evening runs on Wednesday represent the moment we can afford to have some form of certainty about any upcoming cold spell. Between now and then, you would be looking for the various model output to align to cold. The window for wobbles is closing. You also would need to start seeing some minus 10 850s start to appear in the ensembles for it to be a noteworthy cold spell. Regarding specifics re: sleet/snow etc, it is a fools errand to be looking at any guidance around that right now, particularly snow charts.

There is still support for our weather to turn milder and more unsettled so let's see how things pan out.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

It will be interesting to see if we get a Scandi high later on towards the back end of the month. I am hoping for a battleground situation when the Altantic inevitably tries to break through. A stalling front that dumps snow for 24 hours would be nice. But before all that let's hope we do get a potent Arctic outbreak not the diluted crap we have been accustomed to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My main worry about the upcoming spell is the fact that it looks primarily a northerly so that could mean many of us won't see a single flake unless we get a properly unstable northerly somehow with polar lows tracking north to south intact across the country. Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and coastal eastern England are likely to do really well out of this cold spell as they have lots of north facing coasts. Fingers crossed if it's a northerly that it's an unstable one and not another dry one, otherwise this could be mainly a UK event in terms of snow.

I would be far more excited about the upcoming cold spell if it had an easterly component to it which we really need for snow but sadly it doesn't like it's going to have an easterly or north-easterly.

Yes, that's my fear too.

The Met Eireann update isn't all that inspiring- some showers coming down from the north next weekend with temperatures of 4- 7 c. Granted it's nearly a week away and the landing date for something more noteworthy was always around the 15th. Let's see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That’s just Met Éireann being (rightly) conservative and careful at this point. If charts are showing similar by Wednesday evening/thurs morning, expect a notably different tone.

Im not worried about this being dry for the east coast anyway as currently showing on the models, there is a North Easterly tilt at times on most runs I have seen. Similarly NW coasts would likely see something too at different times.

Also - several runs have shown an awful lot of low pressure at times, and with the PV lobe sinking into Scandi there is a very decent risk of local features popping up at short range.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

That was always my thoughts, it may still swing NE. Still early days.

Let's hope the whole lot comes down on top of us ala 2010:)

Clare (410ft asl)

Hold your whist lads. Scatter central still from Sunday. Rain from SW is getting jealous of your snow from NE talk.

Getting there, but not there yet.

By the way, don't think Met Eireann are too far wrong for Saturday at least

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Sush ive a container of Sleighs to get rid of!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm dying to tell the kids, they've been asking for snow for ages but I can't trust it until we're out of FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh this could still go horribly wrong, that is the reason it is in the FI thread. We need to get the cold into <120 charts or at least much better agreement on the ensembles. One positive is the outlook for later in month shows potential for another chance of cold.

That's more like it. A decent northerly incoming with that you'd imagine.

Let's hope the op run tonight reflects this.

Clare (410ft asl)

ECMWF control run for 6z is pretty much as you were for Sunday with incoming cold

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Exactly. Do NOT tell your kids. If the trend is still there 3 days/ 72 hours to go then maybe tell them. With Ireland it’s never straightforward for snow. I’m not telling any family or friends until then and if they ask me before that I’ll say it’s all still very uncertain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement