Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I have read the entire proposal and listened to the handful of interviews given, which is far more than you I would guess.

But if you could point towards further reading my all means do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No... Just wanted to know how it's inconvenient to you...

I don't do a weekly shop.

I already explained to you what I will have to in complete sincerity.

But you have labelled that process stupid.

I agree with you.

I doubt that very much. You don't even seem to realise you can drop off the cans/bottles while doing the weekly shop

You don't do a weekly shop? Do you do a bi-weekly or monthly shop? Same rules apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I do online groceries and I order from the grocery shops in the city. I will likely adapt to this scheme. I don't drink fizzy drinks. I will adapt in that instead of buying multipacks of water I will buy the 5L bottles instead. I might get caught out with some cans from time to time, maybe.

When I get caught out, will a local rural petrol station take bottles and cans from a different shop?

Sorry do you think everyone is obliged to accept returns?

I suggest you take a closer look at how it will work before commenting further

Maybe you should follow your own advice.

So you pay €100 a year for your "fiercely independent" relative to have glass collected and you get her Greyhound bags as part of your own general shopping, but bringing her cans/bottles back is out of the question? How come?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I suppose if you know for an absolute fact that you are never going to be near a shop that takes returns (a list of which still hasn't been published yet by the way) you can always take the easier option of washing them, drying them and popping them in your current recycling bin.

The bonus is the bin companies will then get your deposit so by your logic won't increase charges... Win/Win

When I get caught out, will a local rural petrol station take bottles and cans from a different shop?

If the shop attached to the petrol station is big enough it will yes. Unless you also buy your petrol/diesel online of course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

The strange thing is your refusal to acknowledge the extra inconvenience compared to using your green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Oh so salty😂😂. I get it some people are so invested is a particular shiny new initiative that they would stick a cocktail stick in their eye tp prove it doesnt hurt

Because it’s none of your business she’s a very elderly lady. I live hundreds of km away from her - support is best efforts remotely. General shopping is done online / by phone using combinations of SuperValu, BuyMie and even Deliveroo on occasion. She’s not able to use the tech herself.

We have to get the greyhound bags through a local shop delivered as part of general shopping.

She has very little storage space - there’s barely enough outdoor space to store a couple of bins and it’s a bagged collection area.

So this is just yet another layer of bin collection chaos.

I suppose if you know for an absolute fact that you are never going to be near a shop that takes returns

Where did I say that?

The bonus is the bin companies will then get your deposit so by your logic won't increase charges... Win/Win

I don't know what logic you are using there but it certainly isn't mine.

You do understand there is a whole world that exists outside your personal bubble right?

Labelling people stupid who don't confirm to that is rather stupid isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭bren2001

Its none of the other posters business but you want to post about it on a public forum?

You said it yourself, they'll absorb the cost. Nobody is forced to use the new system. The new system cannot be stopped because its difficult for a handful of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭SteM

Do I want to post this, I'm not so sure......

I prefer to drink from glass bottles but when I don't my current system is

1) Drink liquid from can.

2) Rinse can and allow to dry over night beside the sink.

3) Crush can underfoot and toss into Green bin (I'm outside the M50 but that's what I call it).

4) Wheel green bin 5 feet to the curb every 2 weeks for collection by Greyhound.

That's my routine and the routine of the hundreds that live in my estate and housing estates up and down the country.

Soon it will be

1) Drink liquid from can.

2) Rinse can and allow to dry over night. I'm not leaving cans with sticky residue in my home for any length of time.

3) Put can into bag/box until I go out in car somewhere that has a machine. Nearest I've seen built so far looks to be 3km as the crows (an Aldi) fly but crows can't carry cans so it'll be a 5.1km drive, hopefully that will change.

I've asked at my nearest Centra and they said they are exempt from this scheme, I've also asked at my local Circle K and they reckon they are also exempt. I guess both on size as they are both small places. We currently use Dunnes or Tesco online for our shopping so this is an extra trip for us.

4) Put cans into machine hoping they won't be rejected.

5) Take back my rejected cans if there any.

6) Take my dispensed voucher into shop to get a refund.

7) Drive home.

8) Crush rejected cans underfoot and toss into Green bin.

9) Put Green bin outside house every 2 weeks for collection by Greyhound. Even if no cans are rejected I still have to put out the Green bin with cardboard and plastics etc that don't come under this scheme.

Along with that I'll be taking the odd trip to the glass bottle bank which is nowhere near the nearest RVM.

People talk of convenience, how about putting RVMs beside current glass bottle banks? It's already been established that a lot of people recycle glass. That would actually be convenient.

People talk of convenience, how about cutting out the need for PRINTED RECIEPTS in this day and age and just log refunds directly into an account or back onto a loyalty card.

Something with 4 steps turns into 9 steps to achieve the same thing but I keep reading that its not inconvenient. It's certainly less convenient.

As a concept it's a good idea but it is so poorly implemented. I guess people will come back to say that it works in other counties etc, maybe it does but I don't see the logic to it's costly implementation here considering the system we have in place seems to work very well. We should actually putting pressure on manufacturers to to use less packaging imho but that won't get us nice new machines outside shops I guess.

Well, if you’re happy with elderly and otherwise vulnerable people absorbing yet more waste collection costs on fixed incomes…

There was very little discussion and no real public consultation about how this will work. I’m not sure most people beyond forums like this are even aware it’s being introduced. It’s cumbersome and people have few alternatives to avoid using these containers and packaging.

We already have an *extremely* cumbersome, privatised, complex and expensive waste collection system that’s absolutely bizarre by any EU comparison.

I don’t like the way that anyone bringing up issues with this is being shouted down with ad hominem swipes here. It’s not very boardsie and it won’t find solutions.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Its also not very boardsie to use a tiny subset of society to object to a scheme which aims to increase recycling rates and hence be more environmentally friendly.

The costs are so small, they are almost irrelevant. If they are that close to the breadline, don't buy plastic bottles or cans. They're not being forced to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,324 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who decides whether a perfectly good can was right to be rejected by the machine? Is the calculation decided by the machine the final and only adjudicator?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I might be stumped on this as drink many cans of fizzy drinks thinking this is towards a single can purchase over a multipack which carry a different barcode ?

Not even checked what new services and other fees are going to be for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I guess you're free to try the can in another machine, or bring it to a shop that does manual collection. Neither of which might be convenient to you, of course.

But no, there's no "RVM Supreme Court" that you'll be able to formally appeal rejections to.

Yes none of my business when the hard question gets asked haha! I'd argue you're not really painting the picture of somebody who is "Fiercely independent" if she relies on that much support from others.

Somebody of her age would have been around during the last deposit-return scheme, you should ask her how the "fiercely independent" used the scheme at the time and apply the same principals

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Despite the fact that it has been explained many many many times already and that the concept is incredibly simple, I may as well explain again anyway.

This system makes you jump through hoops in order to get a deposit returned to you resulting in a net benefit of 0 to the consumer.

Recycling the can in our current system also leaves a net benefit of 0 without any hoop jumping. This is basic stuff

Your new step 2 isn't required by the scheme. That's a personal preference. Step 3, unless you live a very sheltered life is unlikely to ever happen, you will most likely be returning the cans as part of another trip. Step 5 and 8 are unlikely to happen as the machines have shown to be very reliable in countries with these schemes. The machines are due to give cash so that's step 6 gone. Step 7 is gone, same reason as step 3.

So your actual steps are still at 4

A) Drink liquid from can.

B) Put can into bag/box until I go out in car somewhere that has a machine.

C) Put cans into machine

D) Put Green bin outside house every 2 weeks for collection by Greyhound. Even if no cans are rejected I still have to put out the Green bin with cardboard and plastics etc that don't come under this scheme.

What about somebody who doesn't buy produce served in plastic bottles or aluminium cans? Will they be affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I reckon the option of putting the can to one side until you are going to a manual collection shop is best.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Find somewhere to store them - Is a shopping bag that rare in the majority of households?. Could even use the box they came in for beer

I think you're being reductive here. We are avid recyclers, absolutely everything that can be recycled is.

We already have 4 bins in our kitchen, general waste, recycling, compost and glass. Now we need to find space for yet another bin, so we can separate our recycling from the re-turn stuff?

Can you not see how this is inconvenient? This scheme is going to be a complete nuisance for us and for absolutely no benefit.

Going from 4 bins to 5 bins really isn't that inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I like your idea of siting an RVM beside a bottle bank.

Not all bottle banks would be suitable because the RVM requires an ESB connection.

The best option might be to site them beside the bottle banks in local authority recycling amenity yards.

There would be the added advantage that these yards are attended during opening hours and securely locked when closed.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is if you only have space for 4 bins!

I feel sorry for the people who live in relatively small houses, it's going to be even more annoying for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement