Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭rodmn2377

thats a good point...Dublin haven't relied on one player since the days Brogan was shooting the lights out and i think he won it that time... they have serious men that stand up and be counted when others are having a off day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Big win for Na Fianna today against Naas. Into the Leinster hurling final where they'll be meeting Kilkenny's finest, O Loughlin Gaels. Hopefully they can get over the line and go a step further than Kilmacud who had Ballyhale Shamrocks on the ropes late in last years final but came up a little short. That's six Leinster finals in last nine years (Cuala only winners on two occassions). Not a bad return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

All without Donal Burke too. They're flying at the moment.

Be great to get him back. A very bad hamstring tear doesn't want to take any chances and damage it further.

Should be a tight final. Watched O Loughlin Gaels game last night. Look a nice team. Were well on top first half could have had game out of sight. Had a couple goal chances they spurned but any team with three Kilkenny seniors in their backline are going to be hard to beat. I think Na Fianna will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is he not expected back for the semis if they make it?

• Advertisement

I was hoping he might make the Leinster final. Not likely now and his match fitness would be miles off anyway. So a possible All Ireland semi final may well be the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Out of curiosity - when was the last match held at Croke Park? Camogie final in August? Last mens game was in July I think.

Pitch in Portlaoise was in pretty poor nick for hurling last weekend, loads of sand, slipping everywhere; am assuming Croke Park will be in great shape, though not sure what difference that will make. They'd be as well to do some training sessions on astro to prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah part of me would have loved if Fitzsimons got it for the simple reason to wind up the Kerry lads.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Leinster football final on Saturday at 14.15 Kilmacud Crokes v Naas on RTE.

Leinster hurling final on Saturday at 16.05 Na Fianna v O Loughlin Gaels can't see it live on RTE or TG4.

• Advertisement

Devestating loss for Na Fianna. Looked like they might go on and win it a couple of times in second half. Could never seem to go three points ahead but some great performances all over the field. I thought they'd do it beforehand. They are a serious team and with Donal Burke who knows what may have been. Paddy Deegan was immense for the cats. O Loughlins will know they were in a game. Really could have gone either way. There's some good hurlers in Dublin going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Shank Williams

Congrats to kilmacud on winning the all Ireland without cheating this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Not the All-Ireland, so you should keep up, but a historic 3-in-a-row never achieved before against a great Naas team and coming from an always competitive Dublin Championship it is somthing they can be immensely proud off.

Unfortunate for Na Fianna today but again it showed how great they are becoming and again in a Dublin chamionship whos levels are progressing year on year. Hard luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin team for tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Meant to say, the hurlers had a good game the last day, fairly blew Westmeath away in the second half. I'm not up to date on the team at all, is there many new faces involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Decent enough second half after a pretty poor first half today .Thought Evan made an impact in that he seemed to organise things a bit in the second .Can't really read much into it but we get another game in PP v Wexford next week so that is not too bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Evan was definitely better than O'Hanlon. Thought his movement out the pitch was to show a difference to Cluxton. Does anyone know if Cluxton staying for another year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Considering no one knew he was playing again until he was spotted in the warm up against Louth last year I'd say no one knows about this year 😅

Having a gawk at the hurling panel list for that Westmeath game on the Dublin site.

Fellas who started:

Ronan Smith - Defender - Lucan

Conor Donohoe - Defender - Erin's Isle

Sean Gallagher - Defender - N Barrog (not sure if he was on panel already? A fair few Barrog lads on the panel now since last year)

Brian Hayes - Defender - K Crokes

Ciarán Foley - Forward - Naomh Olaf

--

Seems like a load of new defenders being tried. No sign of a forward (who we have to hope is not a handy footballer so won't jump codes.

There was a large turnover of players last year in fairness, but again no scoring forward to get really excited about.

My expectation for the hurlers this year is I would be happy with doing 'OK' let a team bed in get settled. Be a bit harder to beat someway, as Dublin struggle on the scoreboard (barring frees). Disappointing performances last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wonder what the team was that played Cavan recently if it did take place also Armagh I see mentioned .Agree about Evan on Saturday he was far more vocal and went out the field more so to get things moving a bit .

The goal for the hurlers each year is to win Leinster and anything else is a bonus.

No notion of winning Leinster IMO Galway and Kilkenny just at a different level. Consistently beating Wexford etc would do me.

No harm in being ambitious anyway whatever about achieving it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, step one would be to get competitive in Leinster. Always feel that Kilkenny and Galway don't really get going until after the provincials anyway, so the aim would be to pick one or both of them off before they're up to full speed. Very much a case of easier said than done, even when they're not playing at their best their usually better than us these days.

What are the realistic footballers aims this season ? Stay in div1. Try and make the Semi-Finals of the AI, and get 4-5 new players introduced. Off the top of my head I think what Dublin really need a young speed merchant - the Dart from Clontarf is very injury prone. A fella with loads of pace even as a sub is always good to have. And a fella to compete in midfield (Dublin have been very lucky that Fenton does not get injured. Plus a Rock 3.0? Would be lovely.

As for Dessie Farrell I suppose he can do what he likes at this stage, after all the giving out I did about him up until the QF he tricked me by changing his team selection. And me thinking he does not look like he knows what he is at at all, maybe that was part of the plan? 🤣

Last years win was really against the grain which made it all the nicer. I think the very weak Leinster suits this old squad (I suppose Kerry had that unfair advantage of a weak province for generations before Dublin), when teams only have to 'peak' later makes it seem like worse than challenge match level early on. I am amazed that the GAA keep the provincials to be honest, I think the truth is they don't know what to do with them. Ulster will say no anyway. I suppose that is for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I agree a realistic aim is staying in div1 while getting some new/fringe players game time. But you're doing them a disservice by saying AI semi final. The realistic aim is to win it as defending champions. Or getting to the final at the absolute minimum. Not reaching the final would be a poor year imo and I said the same for Kerry last year when they were going in as defending champions, stay in div1 and reach the final again.

Hopefully we're looking at another Kerry/Dublin ding dong along the way cos they've been the best games I've attended for years now, despite the losses.

• Advertisement

Agree about the goal being another AI. Leinster is a farce so that can be discounted. They will cakewalk that. The worry every year is that there not battle hardened when the Leinster championship is done.

Advertisement