Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Icon 12z has a better angle on the approach of that colder airmass with minus 8 850s over us by Sunday evening. Could do with high being a tad further west mind you.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That Icon w ould leave us high and dry with a snowfest for usual places in the UK. This event could easily not produce a single flake for us so I wouldn't be talking this cold spell up yet to friends or family. In about 3 days time we should know if we're in for an actual event or just another lame duck like early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Cold and dry is plenty for me at this stage would love some sneachta but as long as it's not raining. The ice this morning was something else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,037 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Indeed. Whatever dries the land out at this stage is the best weather for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭White Clover

No need for snow, it just disrupts most people’s everyday lives. Cold and dry is all we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

It's increasingly looking like a North and Northwest event which will make many members here happy

Sometimes those events can also impact the Midlands and Dublin

They don't excite me at all as we would be high and dry down here in the Southeast for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Or a Northeaster that has a nice long stretch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's looks a bit messy beforehand,could be snow from a frontal attack or just cold rain. Fine Margins.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever had snow from a polar low?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

In the good old 1980's yes,once only that I can remember

But in 99% of cases,hard frosts and clear skies

Snow showers that come here rarely from the NW last about 5 or 10 mins here in between 4 to 5 hrs of sun

The only decent snow here has been frontal events and northeasterly's off the Irish sea

This GFS run is knife edge stuff, I don't like it overall because 9 times out of 10 it goes wrong for us. We could end up with the cold feed cut off , turn milder, and be watching on as parts of England are buried in snow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Everybody remain calm 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Here comes the Kermit hype train!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not really liking todays modeling at all I have to say. The GFS 12z is a bit unusual and probably an outlier in it's own way. Models clearly struggling with the high pressure on one side and the potential return of the Atlantic on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

That would turn alot of the country white. True Gonzo. But the models keep finding a way to cold and snowy (for some) . Normally they wobble and slowly go back to zonal, this time they keep defaulting cold. It probably shows they just can't fully handle the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

I dont like ur negativity. But I enjoy reading ur posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

He is right about the GFS though, it's a high risk - high reward situation. On that run we get the reward but on the next run it could show the low to the south west cutting off the cold air and us going milder. As regards the other models, a northerly isn't great for his location, unless it's very unstable.

A northerly isn't great for most of Ireland unless it is unstable. Donegal and perhaps some north-western coastal areas of Mayo may still ok from a northerly as long as pressure isn't too high or Atlantic mixing is kept at bay.

• Advertisement

Well, yes if they are not unstable it won't be of much use to those further south or east, but a half decent one will deliver to much of the north and North west. We used to get those a lot when I was growing up, but as we know well they are rare now.

Very poor runs this afternoon. GEM operational has wobbled with too much Atlantic mixing and so has the JMA and to some extent the KMA. What we are looking at on most of the models is a brief battleground scenario but the mild overall is coming in quicker and Atlantic mixing involved which is never a good thing for us as we are usually on the wrong side of marginal.

Having said that I haven't seen any of the ensembles yet so there is a chance that the overall ensembles are better.

The GFS control is a massive outlier. I think things are trending the way the UKMO text forecast said they would: cold with some snow showers around at first , but then systems approaching from the south west. I am not confident we won't end up going mild in such a scenario. I hope I am wrong, but I fear it being wet rather white here if this is the direction of travel.

As for the GFS operational Atlantic comes back big time with long fetch mild southwesterlies and loads of low pressure back up over Canada which will fire up the Atlantic for us once again. Prior to this the cold spell doesn't come to much with heights over Southern Europe just refusing to go away and we don't tap into proper cold for any decent length of time because the heights over southern Europe are preventing it.

Tomorrow will probably be the day we know were we are going and if there is going to be a cold spell at all. The ECM is about to roll out let's see what that says but my interest in this spell is starting to wane quickly now we need serious upgrades tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I see the doom merchants are out in force tonight.

minus 5 tonight, really looking foward to this settled cold/dry spell,

snow showers would be an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

This really is a roller-coaster for you Gonzo. You have threatened to get off a few times now,but a bit later are sucked back in again🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

And the man who looks at tonight's ECM is very, very content indeed! It's showtime....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Awesome charts this evening.

Look at this cold from Ecm, 216hrs. Very unstable air, Widespread snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement