Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

500ml was widely reported as being in the 25c bracket on the radio before christmas

Also from the re-turn website, I would expect one of the below to be 499 or 501 to avoid confusion. Which is what I suspect happened

The drinks containers included in the Scheme are PET plastic bottles and aluminium and steel cans between 150mls and 3 litres. A deposit of 15c will apply to containers 500mls or less and a deposit of 25c for each container from 500ml to 3 litres.

Regardless, if you're returning it then it won't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

It will if you get a bit over excited watching your favourite team on TV and commit the cardinal sin of squeezing the can😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

So you are convinced that there will be no inconvenience for the majority but you are not even familiar with how the scheme operates?

It is clear as day that one of the new hassles is you will have to queue up in the store with your voucher to get your cash. The machines do not pay out cash, they will not pay out cash in the future unless all these shinny new machines are to be replaced, do you think that is going to happen?

Are you seriously suggesting that because I lack knowledge of machines that are not even in operation yet I'm not familiar with how the scheme works? Christ!

Or if the muscle memory plays its part and it gets crushed when cleaning out the milk bottles, 15/25c down the tube for every offence 😂 😂 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Just went to my local centra and saw one inside the door main door, right by it.

I'm not sold on the hygiene of this firstly but I can’t see people coming to these machines with one or two bottles - am I to be greeted by a fella unloading bags of pristine bottles into the machine every time I come now ?

Doesn’t really make any sense.

Another soloition to a non issue given that these all end up in our recycle bins anyway.

With Centra, Spar and other convenience shops I'd say their main target is the lad who grabs a can of coke with his daily chicken roll. He might save them up for a few days and toss them in to the RVM at once but you're unlikely to see him pop more than 10 in at a time. These cans usually end up in the general waste bin in the office or the park so actually it's a solution to a real life issue

Don't worry about the hygiene aspect either, if that was an issue the FSA wouldn't want them in

Would they deny me if I came in with a boatload of boxes to return?

are the machines crushing the plastic and crushing the cans as they are put in?

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ha, delusional.

That lad who grabs a can of coke with his daily chicken roll is going to continue to chuck that can in the bin, same as he has always done. Do you really think he's going to save it to get 10cent back or whatever it is, or start filling his desk in the office with empty cans for his weekly trip to the refund machine?

The people this will impact the most are the people who are already recycling via the green bin. People happy to chuck recyclable items in the general bin when they grab a bottle of coke when out for a walk are not going to change their habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

My local Lidl has 2 machines in their entrance lobby (where the coffee machine used to be!).

Shoppers will have to navigate past the queue to go into the shop.

And I'm certain there'll be queues in the early days as people get to grips with the system.

• Advertisement

Even the cash refund thing is a pain in the bollocks. I don't carry cash, I have no interest in getting a pocket full of shrapnel.

Similarly, I don't particularly want a voucher, and it seems somewhat bizarre that a system designed to reduce waste is going to result in lots of little printed pieces of paper being produced.

A system designed in 2023 and launched in 2024 isn't capable of paying the refund electronically? Seems a bit daft in a country that's increasingly cashless.

You'd think they could have come up with a solution with an app that can just dump the refund back to your bank account.

Using vouchers and fiddling around with coins seems a bit 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think card users who don't deal in cash will most likely save up the vouchers and use them against a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭bren2001

The system is designed not to give cash for security reasons and logistics.

The majority of people are going to drop their stuff off on the way to do their weekly shop. They will use the voucher in their weekly shop.

For the minority your obsessed with on this thread, what's stopping them trading the voucher for cash as the scheme allows?

At no point is it designed so that people consume more. It's designed to be as convenient as possible under the confines of a RVM system (don’t reply with - it’s not as convenient as the green bin, everyone knows it’s not).

The majority of people do their weekly shops in person. Fair?

If you accept the above, dropping a few cans and bottles in a machine is very little extra effort.

Is the green bin more convenient? Obviously. Will the green bin allow us to meet the recycling requirements set out by the EU? Evidentially not. There’s years of data to show we have not met it and there’s no reason to assume anything would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

Completely agree. I've no interest in either but won't be throwing money away either so will most likely take the voucher. There are machines on the market that allow for digital payments but seems the organisers of this new scheme didn't want to go down that route

And what about the elderly and the disabled - those who need to actually get the refund the most - is this another burden on their care giver to add to their list?

Arielle Creamy Mime mentioned these being accessible, and I think they are dead on - could a wheel chair user use one unassisted ? The ones I’ve seen so far appear to be a pain in the ass for an able bodied person let alone someone with a physical disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

This thread is actually just laughable. I’ve gone my fairly short life hearing about how people brought back their bottles to the shop when they were younger, how good it was, how little litter there was etc etc.

Now we introduce a scheme half as comprehensive as Germany or Denmark and suddenly it’s green overreach and a stealth tax on acrophobic rural folk.

Laughable.

Post edited by Qrt on

The entire system can’t be designed around the elderly and disabled. they’re just used on this thread because it’s a convenient argument.

The RVMs I’ve seen are wheelchair accessible. People who can’t make it to them can either absorb the cost, not buy plastic or cans, or ask someone else to do it for them. The vast majority of people will be able to use them. That’s good enough.

The machines themselves are elderly and disabled friendly, they don’t fall foul of any equality laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I am saying you are talking rubbish....

• You claim very few people will be inconvenienced
    • Loads of people point out how stupid that statement is
    • You dig in your heals
    • Poster clearly documents the new hassles
    • You try to rubbish it with incorrect statement about something you have no clue about (cash from the machines)
    • Christ!

/Edit: just to add, you are not familiar with a really key part of the scheme that is well documented and discussed. Maybe go back and try to understand how the scheme works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

Great comment.

The amount of coddled whingers there are in this country is laughable. They’ve had it too good for way too long and now they’re crying about bringing back empty cans to the shop when it’s been mainstream in some European countries for decades. Coddled. Spoiled.

I disagree with your last statement based on what I saw today in centra.The hole to put the bottle in is high up and in a busy doorway. The Aldi ones look a bit more promising but again are outside, like bike sheds. Not exactly ideal for the elderly especially during winter.

I think placing them in doorways is beyond stupid.

Like if someone was returning 10-20 bottles or cans in this centra one that automatic door will be open for the duration - how much wasted power is that?

Honestly the whole thing is a little short sighted, the website seems to spout a lot of bollocks too - the reason we are doing this is because we currently are not recycling what we send in the recycling bin - it seems this company will just be sending it back to the recycling centers anyway best case or shipping it out of limerick port to the third world …

So what did we get - a half arsed stealth tax solving a problem that doesn’t exist that’s not even designed to cater for the most vunrable in our society - the same people this tax will effect the most. I bet the county councils are disgusted they missed the boat on this one with the glass jar bins.

also can anyone answer why in the name of Christ does the bottle have to be returned not squashed ? I suppose it’s for the payout not for the benefit of anyone but the collector - I suppose a smartass gathering a few labels was too big a risk for the new private entity to take.

rant over - but Jesus H C - of all the problems we have in this country.

How do disabled people or elderly people bring back glass?

it’s clear green bins won’t enable us to meet the recycling goal. What’s a better system?

it’s clear green bins won’t enable us to meet the recycling goal.

Is it? I don't think we have any data to support this.

Similarly, there is no data that exists to say that this new system will improve things at all.

We don't know what the current recycle rate is. It's all just a guess.

They are not financially pealised for not bringing it back though.

Re your second question - How does this system solve the problem? All it says on the website is it will be recycled.

A large % of homes have a monthly glass bin. If you’ve mobility issues or no transport, you’ll probably be more likely make sure you’ve services like that. They don’t bring it back themselves.

As for the machines in doorways - that’ll be fun when the wasps come back into season!

Actually a tiny percentage of homes do. Data available on the EPA site.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

A whopping 15c per bottle?

They have a choice. Absorb it (it’s a very small amount) or simply don’t buy drinks that are in plastic bottles or cans.

It’s really not that penalising.

Personally, improving the environment is more important than a few people being penalised.

When did the green bins come in? We’ve that many years of data.

• Advertisement

marginalizing the vunrable aside …

Again, how does the new system solve the problem ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement