Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I'm not saying they shouldn't be taxed the same as any other income. And they are!

What are you complaining about? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

We are already at max output. Unless we hire more construction staff from other countries

So the number of houses are not going to increase if you give them all to social welfare.

What you are doing is making a market which it is of more benefit to sit on unemployment than it is to work for a living. People who want to buy a house don't want to be told all their hard work is useless because they are blocked from buying a house, but don't mind that the rent might decrease.

Im not making any mistake. I work for a living and expect the opportunity like everyone else to buy a house. I don't want to get told I can't because someone who can't be bothered to work is been handed a free house. This is the sort of ridiculous idea I would see from Sinn Fein to be honest

Plus from an MNC point of view, why would you put more jobs into Ireland when your staff can't buy houses?

ANyone coming out of school, sure why do I need to go to college or get a profession, I can sit at home and the government will hand me a free house while those saps out working can only rent.

Sorry but it's the most ridiculous idea I have seen on any thread, hence why I think it's a Sinn Fein one

Random person on internet who knows nothing about been a LL claims to be a LL to win a discussion point. I think you can work it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This isnt true as they are different markets.

People qualifying for social housing are not competing with private renters, at least not in Dublin.

Because they cant afford private rents. Thats why they are in social housing.

The practice by councils of renting or buying additional new builds, on top of the part 5 allocated to them in new developments, props up the rental prices in the privare market, because they are removing stock from the private market.

Exsmple, a recently completed complex in Blackrock which is high end, around 80 apartments.

if 20% go for social housing (standard practice under part 5 regs now), there are still 64 new apartments on the private market in Blackrock.

Lets say 2 beds are renting privately for 2,300PM.

Perhaps the additional 64 homes in the area pulls that price down to 2,200PM, as availability has increased.

However, DLRCC actually paid the developer to rent ALL 80 apartments for social.

Meaning the only impact on the private rent value in the locality is upwards, as there is zero increase in availability for private rentals in the area.

Prices for private rental may well now rise to 2,400PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'm not complaining about anything. My first post was in direct response to Clo-Clo's post on the last page which showed no awareness of the investment financials of actually being a landlord, to correct them on the realities. This one: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121588441/#Comment_121588441

Suggesting that a landlord's rental income needs to cover the mortgage before they make a profit is just completely incorrect, as any landlord whos at all aware of their own finances could tell you.

I am sorry that this seems to have triggered you so for some reason though.

I'm a landlord too btw.

We all should be as according to some it's money for jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Irish housing is an asset that has well over doubled in value on average over the last decade. Even if you had the property fully idle, with zero rental income over the time period, thats an absolutely phenomenal return on investment.

Adding in tens (or hundreds, if someone has had a property for a decade) of thousands of euro of rental income on top just makes it even more profitable.

So yes, if you're in any way competent then being a landlord in Ireland is very easy money.

What goes up must come down.

Why did you crop your little chart to 2013?

You don't even have a basic understanding of what you are trying to talk about my friend. Spoofing would be the description. Best of luck to you .

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

They are not the same market that is true, but they are related markets in that someone, for example, who gets a council house is probably no longer too pushed to purchase a house in the private market.

Given that councils have more money to spend than individuals and can if needed outbid individuals, it follows that money greater amounts of money is being invested in housing with the council involved than otherwise. This will result in an expansion of the building sector and more units built. More units in the long run is greater supply and therefore lower rents and eventually prices.

Essentially, this is what is required. More units built. If we were to purely rely on private purchasers a lot less money would be being invested in the property market as things like deposits are hard to save up for. Therefore councils keep things going providing much needed accommodation and incentivizing builders.

I fully see why people might be annoyed if a council pays a builder to build an estate or purchases an already built one but that is missing the bigger picture.

• Advertisement

The mistake you make that Sinn Fein also make is thinking all markets are distinct. Where I differ from Sinn Fein is that I believe there will only be a small amount of money for social housing. Real reform has to be in the private supply of housing that is where the main bulk of people will benefit.

But lets look at the MNCs. If the Government were to build a large number of social housing hypothetically (I'm not saying I'm in favour of this), that frees up a lot of existing housing which can then be purchased or rented by MNC staff.

The councils are not building their own accomodation though. Thats the whole problem!

Social housing should be, in the main, constructed by the councils, i agree.

But because the councils have deep pockets, they are taking the easy route and simply renting the new apartment complexes from the developer. Note that they are renting, not purchasing.

So not only are they using tax payers money to lock out private renters (anyone on an average salary or above and doesnt qualify for social housing) they are also using our money inefficiently, as in 20 yrs time, when the lease comes to an end and the council has paid 100s of millions in rent & maintenance to the developer, the council owns not a brick in the complex and has to return the whole development to the developer...

Oh, and here's the best part, they now have to re-house all their social housing tenants...(but where? There is nowhere to put them)

And all the while they have made prices higher in the private market, by locking out the private renters who earn average salaries and upwards. (The people paying all the income tax and losing the right to housing by virtue of having a decent job)

The bigger picture is that councils just want to reduce their social housing list and dont give a hoot about the people that pay their taxes.

When councils start building their own homes again, then we will start to see a positive impact on the housing market.

At present, private developers funded by investment funds are the only show in town amd are the only reason we are seeing any new construction at all.

Local councils are proving to be the enemy of private renters/buyers, but they are doing a great job for homeowners by keeping their prices propped up, as they keep cutting off the supply of private housing by diverting it to social housing. (temporarily, as buildings are not owned by the council)

Its a terrible, wasteful, inefficient strategy and is the epitome of the govt kicking the can down the road on housing.

However it doesn't really matter whether the councils build their own or purchase newly built units. The same resources get diverted either way. You can't be in favour of one but not the other logically.

@BlueSkyDreams wrote: "councils are proving to be the enemy of private renters/buyers, but they are doing a great job for gomeonwrs by keepimg their prices propped up, as they keep cutting off the supply of private housing by diverting it to social housing. (temporarily, as buildings are not owned by the council)

I would argue not all private renters as some of these private renters will be offered social housing when it is built (either directly by the council or purchased off developers by the council).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Do you have the same graph starting in 2006/7? Also, comparison to other countries with similar gdp growth.

The council should build homes in addition (not instead) to the private market.

Thats how we up the number of completions.

Last year DLRCC built 2 council homes. The year before they built zero.

That council has a bigger population than Cork City and has delivered 2 homes in 2 years. A disgrace.

Private renters dont qualify for social homes because they are above the income threshold.

Thats why they are being locked out of the new homes market and are not seeing reductions in rent prices.

I've heard it repeated many times that councils should build more council houses and that is true. Where people get it wrong, and if you don't mind me saying so, I think you also make this mistake, is that when councils build houses they do so without impacting the supply in the private market. A moments reflection and we can see why this is not true.

Each house build by the council requires labour, land and building materials. They must purchase these from the private market pushing prices up of those three things. That is why it is often cheaper to purchase a number of units from a developer who may have economies of scale in their favour.

The councils can push up cost of materials and labour, thats ok. The private developers will add their margin and private homes will still get built. Not a bother. Plenty of money out there to absorb cost increases.

The builders building private developments in Dublin do not work for DCC.

We used to have both private and council builds and we still do to an extent.

But the numbers delivered by the councils are shockingly low, because they dont want the hassle and cost of building themselves and I suspect they no longer have the labour at their disposal.

But as Roy Keane might say, "thats their job" and we are all paying the price (literally) for them failing to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well I'm continually amazed at the others who claim to be landlords, appear to think that they are financially sophisticated, but still can't get their head around the fact that rent is - in a reasonable and fair market - exchanged for interest + costs + risks. Not for capital repayments.

Never mind the whinging when they can't seem to get their heads around the fact that they have to pay income tax on their income.

The councils have to supply social housing but I don't think it is their job to literally build the houses entirely with workers directly employed by the council. Even private builders hire contractors for a lot of the jobs and don't have all the workers directly on their own payroll.

I'm not against councils directly employing building labour. Where I disagree is that there's a huge amount of savings in the long run over contracting building companies or purchasing newly built housing. There might also be issues with strikes with publicly employed and permanent building staff which would also drive costs up. I think there's reasons councils don't go down this route.

All methods pretty much draw resources away from the private market and drive up costs there. This is unfortunate but if you want social housing, that is inevitable.

Personally I think a lot of reform needs to happen in the private market to bring costs down there and attract inward investment. Building or purchasing more council homes, though necessary, is only part of the answer.

• Advertisement

The choice isn't between building house and not building them, it is between the council building houses vs paying builders to build them (including a juicy margin for the builder)

Maybe we'll go back to the days when bin collectors were direct council employees and so forth but I think there's probably reasons why councils take bids from competing companies rather than directly employing workers for a lot of areas that councils are involved in.

I think Sinn Fein if they get in will probably do a lot more direct employing, but I think this will be for ideological reasons rather than money saving ones.

Some of the reasons include:

1) Zero accountability for what they spend

2) Laziness

If you've ever had the misfortune of having to try to deal with the council, you will know the frustration of trying to interacting with a person who apparently doesn't know the basics about their own job, and is oblivious to it.

I didn’t see anyone whinge, just pointing out what majority of tenants seem oblivious to and rent is taxable income.

That’s not what you posted, you posted that all housing would only be bought for social and everyone else would have to rent

The other issue is you are creating massive estates of social houses only which I think, could be wrong, we have moved away from that because of social problems long term. My understanding now is to have a mix of houses in an estate

That was plan years ago and I think it’s still the plan, so if 100 house, 20 wil be social

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The whole reason they are getting council housing is that they are not in the private market. Your understanding is deeply flawed Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Landlords are there to make money. If they use some of that profit to pay off the capital, whats it to you?

It would make ZERO sense to become a landlord if there is no profit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

The thing is councils should be building on the land they already own not buying up private developments, councils have all the architects, engineers and planners they need to get schemes through planning and out to tender for a private builder to build but they are too slow and lazy at getting it done so they are not hitting the figures for units built and the knee jerk from the higher ups to boost their numbers is to use their big chequebook to take houses from private buyers.

Lets not forget a lot of councils are incredibly slow at turning over their own existing stock of houses where a tenant has died etc, can take 12 months for them to get another tenant in there or to CPO derelict houses in their area - too much like hard work for them.

The main reason for both of these issue is they have no motivation to do things quickly - if a private developer buys a site they want it built on and sold ASAP as its costing them money so might have houses sold in 2-3 years, the council are happy to tip along and take 5 years to get houses built.

The wording here is mixed though, its actually the AHBs such as Tuath that are buying up the most units out of the hands of private buyers and councils and AHBs both get help from the LDA, so for instance the LDA buy up some houses in a private estate and then hand them over to the local council for people on their housing list.

The point is - as the other poster also tried to explain - that many of you don't understand when you are making a "profit" and not. You confuse it with being cash-flow positive............ Pretty basic stuff.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's so unfair. How come landlords income is subject to income tax?

It's such an anomaly that people could be forgiven for assuming that that could never happen.

Advertisement