Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Shootings part 4 - Read OP before posting - updated 30/12/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Spencer101

Apologies: there is/ was a George Bromley senior and George Bromley junior. It was junior who was warned off Stevie G.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slowdive74

Dalglish has some very interesting mates from Maghull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Exactly - it was an excellent Irish crime drama, a one-off. So it's a bit weird to complain that every subsequent crime show isn't as good as it. It's unlikely that anything will ever top it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smuggled spud

Remember Nidges wedding when they all danced up the aisle. That was gangster as ****. Roo Redmond did something like that at Warren Dumbbells wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 12 night rider

Well any producer with a brain surely would think a love/hate spin off would be more popular than mentioned shows . Just don't know how kin could get it so wrong especially after the popularity of its predecessor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Not sure how you think Kin has got it so wrong, Season 2 seemed to be very well received.

And Spin-offs are usually rubbish. Great shows are best left the way they finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭40supple

Didn’t know it was that scuumbag

good riddance so

Jimmy White and Gary Mason attended Joey Pyle's funeral. Theres a part in one of White’s autobiographies where an unnamed gangster gets back the handbag of his mum who had been mugged. White is then meant to repay the favour by visiting a ‘friend’ who turns out to be Reggie Kray. However White is heavily on the lemonades at the time and keeps missing meets to be driven to the relevant prison. Pyle is not now as well remembered as others of his era but was a very significant organised criminal in London from the 1960s to 1990s. Frank Warren who in 2020 claimed to not have been aware of allegations against Daniel Kinahan owned the London Arena for first 8-10 years of its life. It was opened in late 1980s and closed and demolished c2005. The crime journalist Michael Gillard has written that 'The north London crime family had an interest in the London Arena.' Gillard (referring to the Adams family) does not say when this interest was and as stated Warren was not involved for the last ten or so years before the Arena was demolished. Warren denies any links with crime and is very litigious. He is from Islington his late uncle Bob Warren, was extremely well known in London criminal circles from late 1950s, and is mentioned on the bugging that led to Terry Adams 2007 conviction. Adams was recorded saying:

' Me and Bobby Warren was in a car once right Dan. There was a geezer that was lying to us Dan, right, on my baby’s life. Dan, I’ve got something about me when things happen. When I hit someone I do them damage. And I went to the geezer. Stealing 100 grand it was Dan, or eighty grand, and I went ‘crack.’ On my baby’s life Dan, his kneecap come right out there.'

Warren has told interviewers:

' I thought it was to the Adams brothers, I say, the north London crime family, that people liked to link him."No," says Warren, raising his eyebrows, "that came afterwards. When I started out in boxing, they were kids. How am I going to be running about with kids younger than me? It just doesn't work out. Do I know them? Yeah, of course I know them. They come from Islington. I knew their dad very well. I haven't seen them for years, but I knew them. I know lots of people.'

Warren is 70. The three best known Adams brothers- are Terry Adams (who is 69), Patsy Adams (who is 67) and Tommy Adams (who is 65). The less well known Danny Adams is about 60 and the youngest Mickey (who is 57) might have qualified as 'kids' in 1980 when the then 28 year old Warren promoted his first licensed fight. There was a British TV programme on Adams in late 1990s presented by Martin Short for ITV. Short found details at UK company house of a company that Warren and, from memory, Tommy Adams were directors of. Warren denied any knowledge of this. The recording was on YouTube for some years and was taken down 6-8 years ago.

Post edited by Spencer101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Updaparish

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

That's the lad who's brief used his extremely low level of IQ as a main part of his defence case....a few years later banged up again for stealing a pizza......

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smig14

100% also why gerrard didn’t move to Chelsea in 04/05 I think it was, that was down to Bromley

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

None of the characters are believable in the roles they are cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

The first series was absolutely dire, the only believable actors were Ciaran Hinds and one of his henchmen. The rest look like they're running an organic juice bar in Glasthule.

I started the 2nd series there- still completely unrealistic (fella kills two hitmen like hes bleedin Bond or somebody) but it seems a bit more watchable.

It's no Love Hate tho, at least plenty of the storylines and the characters were grounded in reality and often were based on or composite characters of real people (John Boy was clearly Eamon Dunne for one)

It strangely went past most people's notice but I saw Paul Dempsey, who had been at war with the Hennessys back in 2018/19, died in December, just around when his nephew Martin Cunningham would have been up for releas (Kenneth Fitzsimons, on the Hennessy side of that feud, also since been released). Gardai probably breathing a sigh of relief on that one. How did he die?

Mad really- last few months- men die, men are jailed, and yet old heads get released to replenish the ranks. Cyclical.

Remind me, who were the Fitzsimons on their way to do when they were caught with the guns? I had thought at the time Kenneth F had been forced into hitting first because of the threats to his son and having been cut up himself, but I rewatched Inside the K the other night and he's getting pulled over with JH Jr in the car and some blades and hatchets in the boot so he was involved with them well before MC cut him up (said at the time he only had one prior conviction which had me thinking he was involved out of desperation)

It's too Hollywood- first episode of S2 the cute little Turkish bird sitting in an office in Dublin telling them she will have them all wiped out- in real life she would be shot before she made it to the airport if she was in Ireland where she has zero manpower throwing threats about.

I'll give the 2nd series a go as it got better reviews but the first one was shocking. Not an iota of reality about it, terribly miscast, box ticking for minorities, just absolute cat all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

What murder? I'm born and bred in Lucan and didn't hear anything about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CouthyDown

There have been a lot of drug finds linked, I wonder are they linked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Interesting, wasn't aware of this. Another sporting link with gangland, the Rettendon Three did security for the boxer Nigel Benn. Before they got whacked obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul Lawlor

Jason Hennessey Snr only got into crime through his son's the last 5 years or so. Selling mostly weed and cocaine and they also have an after hours drink service going aswell which advertises on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Russians have a massive presence in liverpool at the moment. Id be surprised if they arent leaning on the Gerards.

Not true at all. Hennessey has been well known on the area for decades for being involved in organised crime. A mlnasty, odious family. He has links to the Westies. Himself and Sugg were close.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul Lawlor

Yes he was a very minor criminal before he got involved with his sons with some driving convictions but nothing heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why the Gerrard's? Surely there are more affluent people they could lean on.

Tony Tucker and Nigel Benn were in afaik Royal Fusiliers together. Benn after 5/6 years when he went back to civvy life got into boxing- Tucker got into crime. They kept in touch for a while. Benn much enjoyed himself until finding god about 15-20 years ago. So clubbing with brash guys who controlled the doors at night clubs may have suited. Benn is normally described as coming from a 'tough' East End of London family- now what that exactly means.......

He was muscle for them.

In terms of criminality the Garda werent able to pin a lot on him. He was clever that way. He was 100 percent a significant presence.

A bit like Christy Snr his sons have proven to be his route to demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Advertisement