Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v10] Read Post #1 Before Contributing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Victor saying Juliet is way out of Steos league as if Steo didn’t knock up his own step daughter🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭threetrees

So now Hayley has a "plan".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Great stuff tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

The scenes with Fergal and his Ma are good, they are both good actors in fairness, but its a bit unrealistic that an adult would be living with his Mother like that when tension is so high. NO mention of him having worked as a Fitness Instructor; would he not look for that type of work rather than warehouse labouring.

Dearbhla parachuting back in and working in Vino's is odd, wonder where Gar is supposed to be in all of this. NO doubt Joan will be back on screen soon and the Melanie 10k storyline will re-appear....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

His mother is some dose alright. I need migraine medicine just listening to her.

Where is Fergal supposed to go though?

I think it's highlighting the accommodation crisis in this country where there's not enough accommodation.

That constant critisism and dominance from his mother can't be good. She is far far far too harsh. He seems depressed.

It's a good story line because it's highlighting issues happening in Ireland around the housing crisis and it's also highlighting parental abuse towards offspring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree the mum is a dose and she is part of the reason why Fergal behaves way he does. She does appear to have some compassion though as we seen last night where she offered to make him dinner and was happy that he had made an effort and left the house. I kind of get her frustration - a 30 something year old son living at home, has no friends, has no partner and makes no effort to get a job. Hes a 30 year old behaving like a 13 year old. I think deep down she does love him but is so worried about him and annoyed by the way he behaves. Sadly it probably is a good reflection of many homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Bit of an over reaction from Dean when he seen Fergal in the Station. That was an unprovoked assault from a "trained" MMA fighter. Why wasn't he thrown out? (Ohh forgot, Carol doesn't have any security, even though there's been multiple incidents including a Murder, kidnapping and a shooting in or near her bar).

They are building the story up nicely though, presumably to a violent crusendo.

My hope is that Sean, Bosco and Georgie take Deans van out for a joyride (dogging session) and Fergal blows it up 💣

(this will happen off screen obviously because Government don't want riots or things getting burnt, RTE, no money, Ryan Tubridy etc.)

Post edited by littlevillage on

Yeah I thought the reaction was over the top aswell but I guess it suited the situation that he was too distracted to notice the phone ringing. Its out of character for Dean - for example he didnt react like that when he found out Sean had slept with Anna the day they broke up. Anyway idiot Dean completely missed that when he dialled Vicky Fergals phone rang 🤣

I thought it was well done, although agree it was a total over-reaction from Dean. I had thought from the trailer that Dean would cop on that Fergal=Vicky but they are going to drag it out a bit more

Things are improving:) are they also misleading us with the previews ? Cool if they are at least it shows they're thinking outside the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,485 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Didn't Gar also talk about his horrible childhood with her.

So, it's not just Fergal.

I think Dean sort of reacted the way he did because he thought he was the man that ran Fergal out of town but he found out he failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Photobox

Yeah I thought that was ridiculous that Dean told 'Vicki' about sleeping with Dearbhla, I haven't been in the dating game in a very long time admittedly but if you are interested romantically in someone that surely would be a turn off to hear about recent conquests for said person.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

She's not frustrated. She's abusive who is viewing her son as an economic proposition. He bought her pizza for her birthday and I know it's a half assed thought but its still something. She became overly critical of him and the pizza and then waited til he left the room to eat it.

I know that - but she is also frustrated by her grown up son not even trying to make a life for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Niall_76

I thought he snapped cause he realised he’d been talking to Fergal all the time and was angry and embarrassed. But then he was talking to vangirl again a few mins later.

Since they’ve shown it is Fergal, quite a few calls have ended with Fergal just saying something like “later” and hanging up when the conversation wasn’t really finished.

Dean also seems to answer vangirl’s calls with “howaya” or something similar. It’s like he’s answering a call from a friend and doesn’t fit with him being smitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Was probably a leftover from the pizza place he was delivering for.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lecter8319

Anyone else think Dean completely over reacted when he saw Fergal, who the hell does he think he is, you cant carry on like that in public or you'll get done for assault. I wonder if Juliet recording the incident will be significant in the future.

The show seems to be saying that people who've concerns about immigration are scumbag losers who live at home with their abusive mammy. In truth what Fergal did wasnt that bad until he attempted to burn down the gym and that was primarily because he lost his job and some people would say that was unfair. I'd like for them to delve a little deeper into why Fergal is the way he is but I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Wonder is the mother (Fergal's) racist - they could build on that a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Photobox

They have had Dean over reacting with Fergal before that, even before he tried to burn down Gym, in fact it could be said it was Dean's carry on that led to the escalation of the gym. He then told Fergal to stop feeling sorry for himself for not being able to find accommodation, I pointed out at the time how outrageous that was to say that in these difficult times for people trying to buy or rent a house, but this is RTE which I have no doubt is a mouthpiece for the government. Dean equals good, Fergal equals bad in this pantomime.

Dean's reaction was over the top. However I think his character lacks something at the moment and for a long while.

Fergal on the other hand maybe a spoiled brat but he's grown up with a domineering mother, which may have lead him to been the way he is, he's angry with the World, government and he blames others for problems in his life. Now all the issues in his life maybe caused by himself or others and Fair City could explore this in a positive way if they wanted. They could almost reform Fergal in away in a positive way but I think he's the baddie and that's it.

Similar with Zak a young country lad gets involved with crime and they had the chance to him getting his life together. He maybe a cheeky chap but instead they turned him in the Scarface of Carraistown and it was very unrealistic.

I've said it before but the writers can't cast strong realistic male characters in Fair City.

Dean's character hasn't really much got much going for him. I think there afraid to make him in anyway controversial.

Some people do end up living in cars/vans for a period but their rarely in Dean's finical position. When Melanie was in the position a few years ago it was believable.

Some people have converted vans to a very high standard but Dean's efforts are brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,506 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I get the impression she is the cause of a lot of Fergal's problems. If he was unloved as a child and treated harshly, it would be no surprise that he is a 30 year old loner still living at home (not given any opportunities to grow as a person) - she has created the very scenario she is repulsed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,157 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did lol at Steo to Juliet saying doing duck face into your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 86,157 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Dean not find it strange that Vicky knew Dearbhla and Gar or did he tell "her" about them

Advertisement