Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

Putin beware the Mothers of Russia..

https://twitter.com/i/status/1744124099331526806

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

800 + billion on defence going by what the US media were talking about last night,if it's not agreed on next week the next deferral date to avoid a government shutdown will be the first or second week in February

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Pretty much what I speculated way back when folks were worrying. The republicans, bar those under Kompromat and fawning fans of Putin, seemed to have eyes for the border and Ukraine was a useful hostage to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭drop table Users

There is also movement on transferring 300+ billion (that’s 5x what’s being held up in congress!) in Russian state funds to Ukraine frozen by G7 states which can’t be held up by congress

The professor interviewed in this podcast discusses the issue in depth, including the precedent set in seizing 50bn (in 1991 dollars) of Iraqi funds in gulf war which was distributed to victims

Yes, 842 billion to be exact (according to WIKI) of which something less than 5% will be earmarked for Ukraine, and of that amount, 90% will actually be spent in the US. Seems like a no-brainer, but when it comes to the US and its internal dynamics .....and you have to think just how that figure is made up. Is it based on the current replacement values of munitions and vehicles, artillery etc. Or is it "free" meaning equipment that was due for replacement? Best before date passed, and already costing for storage etc? In any case, it's a minuscule amount in the overall scheme of things in the US. But it's being used as blackmail by one side to force the other side to take a certain course of action, and meanwhile, Ukraine is suffering, and Putin is laughing.

• Advertisement

Well, let's hope that they get their own (US) issues sorted, and they can get back to stopping Putin and his murderous regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I do believe the value of goods is based off what the ticket price was new ,I doubt they use depreciation when adding up the figures of stock that's coming to it's sell by date or date of destruction

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And this is a dangerous vector for the Russian administration. Between deaths and wounded, the number of families directly affected has to be substantial. Even if Muscovites are more sheltered, the reality has to start biting. You post often about the rigorous control over the population but women: mothers, grandmothers, wives, girlfriends, sisters, daughters can exert great influence.

Well, that would fit very well into to the US financial " Framework", but it stinks of sharp financial practice too. Holding vast quantities of obsolete or soon to be obsolete weapons / stock's etc. which are costing millions to store securely and are in fact a financial cost at this stage, and will cost even more to dispose of, valuing them at their original cost smacks of sharp practice. (That's if that is what's happening) When they have the Ukraine literally begging for weapons. Two birds with the one stone, in fact ( actually 3 birds, Russia is taking a big hit too)

Say 365'000 dead plus 700'000 wounded / disabled, and plus add another 200'000 (???) actually fighting in Ukraine, and that adds up to a fair Nr of families affected. And its showing in the economic sense too, you cannot take this kind of Nrs out of the workforce, without consequence, and now many black holes are appearing in the fabric of life for ordinary Russians. In Moscow, some 20'000 residents have been left without heating in -30c, lack of routine maintenance being the primary cause, and this is replicated in many rural areas too. No, things are not going well for Vladimir Putin on the home front. The question is, when if ever, will it reach critical mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

If they haven't spoken up in two years of high attrition warfare, then I doubt they ever will.

The concept of fighting off the Nazis is still within living memory for some old Russians. It's an absolutely central part of the modern Russian story and supremely emotive. Think of how unpopular it is in Britain for someone to question the wearing of the poppy and extrapolate that to Russia and anyone who would question going to fight Nazis in Ukraine (to hear Putin tell it).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

As I dont see any scenario where NATO is actually fighting Russia , its only going to be via proxies so you introduce all kinds of complications, training, shortages as can be seen in artillery etc. You really didnt respond to the thrust of my point which was the US has created problems for itsself by pushing a group of countries together sharing tech and know how. Also in absolute terms the Russian army that comes out of this will be much improved over the sleepy force it was before.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

I suspect a Critical Mass or Tipping Point exists for the Russians, but the question certainly is; what is that point?

There will be a point where Russia has used up too much of her Soviet arsenal, and too many of her viable troops to have any shot of holding back an offensive by the AFU. Unless they can realisitally replace the lost equipment and useful troops at the rate they are losing them, it can only be a matter of time and of course the will to continue fighting the Russians. How much time is the question that I bet even the sharpest intelligence agencies are having a challenge trying to figure out.

I don't however expect that Tipping Point to be the end of Putin. Based on your experiences with Russia that you have shared with us here jmreire, I'm getting the impression that no uprising will happen to topple Putin, and that the man himself will be in post until assasinated or until age takes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Billy Kelleher was on the radio this morning and said that there are 400,000 Russians in Ukraine fighting

China's exports to Russia are supporting Russian military production. As for your other point , why wouldnt be stronger? at the start of the war the Russians didnt have much in the way of drone tech, now they do, no doubt they have also improved their anti drone tech etc. and an obvious point is that they will have learned a lot more that cant be achieved by just training, so their kit will improve too. They will have ploughed through a lot of their soviet era stuff but at some stage that would be written off as junk anyway.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Russia has 4 or 5 times the population of Ukraine, would you not expect the tipping point to go the other way? if there was anything to be picked up from watching this is that attrition is far higher attacking than defending especially if the attacking side is not actually breaking through

The best thing Ukraine could do now apart from calling it a day is to pull back to round out its lines and replicate the Russian strategy of having deep lines , creating a buzz saw for the Russians.

Afghanistan had 12x less smaller population than USSR in 1980 and yet the Soviets lost

We are already at 5x the casualties of that war btw in a couple of years compared to 10

As for rest of your post there are a couple of videos a few pages back where Ukrainians do just that, systematically grind yet another Russian meat assault into the ground

the 10 years would be the important point, I see the shooting part of this war ending next year, so I dont see war weariness in Russia being a make or break factor.

"The best thing Ukraine could do now apart from calling it a day"

That sentence says it all - we understand your perspective. So you think that Ukr should call it a day, come out hands up and say sorry Vlad, we made a mistake and we all love you?? You live in some fantasy land comrade.

• Advertisement

You think Putin or Russian economy would still be around in 8 years from now?

I would have advised hitler to do the same thing after D day (Actual ref to 2 German generals after D day breakout) , its not about apologizing, its about how to get out of the mess with more of your people and land intact. Best case for Ukraine is the final borders stay roughly where are now, worst case Russia take another 20% of the country and it ends at that point, I just dont think Ukraine have another offensive in them that would achieve success, hence my position. If I thought Russia was on the verge of collapse I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

ChatGPT - give me a stereotypical tankie arguement for a Ukraine surrender which rewards Russia's murderous aggression

Do you know how many Russian bodies it would take to steal 20% more territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russia doesn't have much offensive capability, they essentially grind forward with artillery and throw 30 and 40 yr old men with 1 week's training in. They can take a settlement or small town but typically at massive cost to themselves and high attrition on top of that.

Ukraine know that with the right pressure (and equipment) it's possible to take more territory, and that exerts massive pressure on the Russian military, in some areas a few KM puts them within striking range of critical Southern supply lines.

Things are very much in limbo right now (winter + waiting for funding news from US)

Thankfully I still dont know what a tankie is, except that I get an image of of that commie loon Clare Daly, im not making any moral argument so you dont need to get triggered so. As for the second part I dont and you dont either, it would depend on how stable the Ukraine defense is which is why I labelled it as the less likely option. If I had to put a number on it 70% lines say the same, 25% the lines move west, 5% Ukraine reaches Crimea, Ill await your sarcastic response ;-)

The tankies and Putin bootlickers are incredible in their pessimism

The net change for both sides for 2023 is exactly zero

yet if you read posts here it’s all doom and gloom

Did Ukraine fail to achieve its summer offensive goals? Yes they openly admitted to it and are learning and adapting

Meanwhile the dozen Russian offensives of the year went precisely nowhere but an early grave for another 150,000 men and more limited Russian equipment

Aside: @Gatling made one of many false claims earlier claiming Ukraine lost more than it gained in 2023 and failed yet again to backup his rantings when I confronted him for evidence which is referenced above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What Russia gained was down to blitzkrieg surprise and a lack of Ukraine preparedness & equipment; that Ukraine managed to stem the tide to only 20% of the country lost, their capital and government intact, is itself quite an astonishing testament to Ukrainian resilience. They came within a hair's breadth to losing it all - while Russia gambled on a quick invasion and lost. Those images of Russian tanks lined up in a traffic jam will be an enduring, historic image.

The idea Russia could make further gains is, quite bluntly, laughable and naively idiotic - and would require a huge sea-shift in circumstance to allow that. Tantamount to a coup in Kyiv, EU/US funding drying up altogether and/or forcing Ukraine to back down. Or, I dunno, a Kaiju attack or Putin truly going insane and dropping a nuke.

They're simply not set up for further, rapid gains. Unless Russian Military Doctrine suddenly shifts radically - and given they've bled much of their best equipment, top-brass and soldiers, mightn't yield results anyway - any further gains will be achieved by grinding out single-digit kilometres using artillery saturation and meat-grinder tactics. Even jails run out of Dirty Dozens. They took that 20% in a week or so - then had to hold on for dear life the subsequent 2 years using minefields and trenches tank-traps.

I've no idea where this war goes now that Kyiv has struggled to make gains restoring its lands to 2014 borders, and it seems hard to imagine any 3rd party peace treaty suggesting Ukraine give away the 20% would be swallowed by Kyiv; we've been in this circumstance before and they already sacrificed Crimea and their ability to defend themselves for the promised "peace in our time". That went well. Once bitten, twice shy n' all that - any deal suggesting once more Ukraine bends over and hopes for the best would - and should - be told to fúck off. Peace at any cost means nothing when the other guy has already proven to be untrustworthy.

And maybe this is the tactic: perhaps secretly the intent is to keep things steady while Russia bleeds to death; and either Putin has a sudden and fatal case of altitude-adjusted defenestration, or the country falls apart in the weeks of his death. I daresay the moribund Russian forces might suddenly look back home if all a sudden the tanks were rolling up Red Square. Again. It wouldn't be the first time a satellite nation took advantage of an Empire's sudden chaos.

But Russia taking more of Ukraine? I'd not take those odds. That's video-game stuff.

But you don't have a clue about the detail of the real picture on the ground. No more than I and everyone else here. It's very unlikely that you are posting here and have deep penetration into the military & political thinking on either side and their allies.

So you're just expressing a political wish - you think that Ukraine should just call it a day. Which is fine but we should be clear that you're happy to see Russian aggression prevail and for them to re establish this part of their empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

A few things.

1. This proposal to seize 300bn in Russian Assets to reconstruct Ukraine is legally ropey. However, it won't stop the US from spinning the line that 'Ukraine should receive Russian blood money' when everyone knows it will go straight to US defence contractors. The Ukraine war is a serious economic driver for the US.
    2. Russia controls around 10tr in Ukrainian assets in the 4 occupied regions and Crimea. Ukraine can't keep sending men into a prolonged battle of attrition any longer. Any talk of ceding territory will mean the end of Ukraine as a viable state. It was already the 2nd poorest of the post-soviet states before the war. Ukraine will cease to exist as a sovereign nation within 50 years if they are forced into negotiations on that basis. Putin will be allowed back into the global financial system and Russia will control the mineral rich portion of Ukraine together with its major ports infrastructure.
    3. Zelensky has stated thousands of times that the only way Russia can be defeated is by military means. He has seen the US lead other nations up the garden path to be tossed aside later on and to his credit, is determined not to let it happen to Ukraine. Unfortunately, there is no strong leadership in either Europe or the US right now and it doesn't look like there will be any time soon. However, the West needs to supply weaponry now to secure a decisive Russian defeat or else the consequences will be drastic for Europe in the future.

I'm not optimistic for Ukraine and by extension, I'm not optimistic for the future of Europe either.

• Advertisement

Stanford professor who is one of the people pushing this along disagrees

we are very close to 300bn being transferred to Ukraine and other victims of Russian aggression and there is legal precedent in Sadams 50bn (in 1991 dollars) that was seized and distributed to Kuwait and others

He spends more than half an hour discussing the issues in detail in the podcast linked here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement