Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone that gets a game running in assembly on a 6502 has my respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've tried coding at this level before and the sheer amount of optimization needed is exhausting. Memory limits are constantly a thorn in the side for anyone who's used to modern coding efforts. It's actually super cool how smart some of the coding was done in the past to bypass memory limits and get the most out of the hardware at the time. Crash bandicoot had each level split into rolling windows broken up into 16 slices, Final Fantasy 7 actually ignored the 8-bit convention and used a 7 bit version instead, using the remainder as an on-off flag system for a variety of logical controls and arguably most infamously, mario reused sprites for bushes and clouds, just set the colour with a different flag. So many cool hacks and tricks that absolutely break the rules of "clean coding"!

Easily 80% of the devs I know today (including me) wouldn't have been able to cut it with the tools of the trade back then, but man it's so cool to learn about it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A growing body of reporting suggesting that, rather surprisingly, Sea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush could be going multiplatform soon. Full details and platforms are a little hazy and obviously unconfirmed at this stage, but seems Sea of Thieves could be going to Playstation and HiFi Rush to Switch.

Hi-Fi Rush is my favourite game of last year and maybe the best Xbox exclusive since the 360 generation, so beyond the possible big shift in Microsoft’s release strategy, I’m just excited more people might get to play it! And Sea of Thieves is definitely one of the more interesting live service games out there.

https://www.eurogamer.net/microsoft-to-release-acclaimed-first-party-game-on-another-platform-report-suggests

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

With Sea of Thieves, I've always been surprised that it's not on other consoles, to be honest. They must be looking at the amount of money coming in from it and salivating about the amount of PS players money that they'll get.

I do think that it's clear that MS has changed tack, it'll take a while to see the full picture though. I'd imagine that they'll still release consoles, but how they differentiate it is going to be difficult, being the Game Pass people will only take you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

As soon as Microsoft start selling first party games on playstation, they may as well stop making consoles. Who'd be fool enough to buy them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd usually agree with this but the argument here is that they are cheaper so why not pay less as you're only missing out on Spiderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They already do, including 2 timed exclusives due to previous contracts from buying Bethesda. Don't forget Minecraft is also Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Speaking of Spiderman, I got 2 off Santa and only managed to play past the first mission. I LOVE Spiderman, have done most of my life, and i get the charm of the quips and chit chat but my god, this game never shuts up! It's constant between Miles, Peter, Ganke and MJ. I get I'm really on in the story and their trying to build narrative but Jesus, let me swing around in peace for a bit. Maybe i wasn't in the mood on my first go at it but already looking forward to selling it and getting something else which is a weird feeling for 1. A Spiderman game and 2. Sony's blockbuster of last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If the hardware sales reports are to be believed - and unfortunately we don’t have official figures to go on from Microsoft - and PS5 is outselling Xbox Series consoles by a much as three to one, then there is definitely a ceiling to Game Pass growth, which may have already been hit given the recent lack of reporting of updated subscriber numbers. So if Microsoft does want to expand their software and subscription business (which is unquestionably their main focus and revenue source at the moment), they will at some stage have to look elsewhere.

I also don’t know if I see Microsoft stopping console manufacturing altogether, and things could change if MS decided to kick off the next gen earlier than Sony. But at some point if they really want to make their presence secure and actually follow through on their so far corporate-speak only ‘play anywhere’ philosophy… more multi-platform support does seem like the only real option for them. How they manage that and sustain a hardware business is going to be a tricky one though, and certainly a big shift in the traditional console market. I do think they’ll also need to get Game Pass on Steam if they want to really make further inroads on PC though - if and how that’d work would be interesting to see.

But the most important thing is: Hi-Fi Rush is bloody fantastic and it should be on every console :)

The only way I can see Xbox making a come back is if MS make an excellent console with exclusives and at the same time Sony make some monumental **** ups. Pretty much a repeat of the PS360. And I can't see that happening in the current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

No, not a chance of this happening in reality. It'd take such a series of coincidences all happening at roughly the same time, all favouring one party, such that if you read about it in a book you'd say it's ridiculous, the author is just writing fanfiction.

In saying that, Xbox is very profitable in it's current guise. No doubt that they'd like more of the pie, but it's not like it's some major drag on the company, it's MSs greatest consumer success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

MS have a guide for getting xcloud assed to steam for setup on the steam deck, and it works so well I am considering selling the series X.

The only reason why I wouldn’t is for old digital purchases I made through the 360 era onwards, but I reckon most of them are probably available on steam for pennies which I must check!

Im not sure I see MS moving away from hardware entirely, they still have a significant enough market share there, especially in the US, but if Game Pass is going to be their primary product then getting it on other platforms is probably a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

There's no way xcloud is becoming their primary product. It's just not good enough and the technology has stalled for the past 2 years where its obvious they are not investing in it anymore: Series S performance (despite the hardware being Series X), low bitrate, no Kb&M support even on games that support it on console, majority 30fps games which creates so much lag. Not to mention its just no good over mobile networks and if you're streaming at home it's far better to stream from the console, not that streaming in the home is ever going to be a primary product. I mean 99.99% of people are going to buy a console which is always, always going to be better quality across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Xbox Developer Direct scheduled for Thursday the 18yh at 8pm.

Oh I didn't know Indian Jones is Machine Games.

I like how they detailed exactly what they are showing. None of this speculation, hype and rumours nonsense.

No studio has done killing Nazis and racists as satisfyingly as Machine Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Well, at least until Todd got his hands on them.

Looking forward to seeing more of what Ara is about, and hopefully Avowed is looking the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Here's Brian Cox in the new story recap trailer for Tekken 8, because that makes as much sense as most of Tekken's story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In many ways I love how Cox has clearly got to an age where he doesn't give a fúck and will do any old rubbish for some cash. But even then, he seems to make a professional effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

True, it makes no sense, but it works. It somehow managed to feel legit and a pish take at the same time.

Tekken has a story?

Wonderful story, and not just for the main Mishima characters. Just look at these intertwining arcade endings for some of the characters

Such powerful writing, really brought home by the performances.

You jest but this is some PS1 level nonsense and it's making me all nostalgic. I'm so down for this.

I've one question though, I thought long was a wrestler that wore a leopard mask as his get up so why is he roaring and growling like a lion?

There have been 4 Kings; King, King II, Armor King, and Armor King II. All have been luchador wrestlers who wear jaguar masks.

All of them, inexplicably, growl like jaguars and everyone can understand them perfectly. Similar to how all other characters will usually talk in their native language and they can all understand each other. Yet all the King's native language is just "Big cat".

I totally love it too even though I'm taking the p*ss out of it. Not just the growls, but even the shots of a completely motionless and rigid jaguar mask looking confusingly at a photograph.

That's some kingdom hearts level nonsense.

I love fighting game stories.

Jesus - 35% of jobs at Twitch getting cut, Bloomberg reports. 500 people.

Just a nightmare time for labour in the corporate gaming space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's horrific. And following on from the Unity news yesterday. This is a terrifying statistic...

Seems the actors union has thrown voice actors under the AI bus:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The AI voice actors voted in favour of the motion.

Advertisement