Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Suir Pathway /Maypark Trail

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

Don't think you can get from glencove into town. You would have to go thru alot of people back gardens and there boat houses. Iv kayaked the river alot of time and its all private

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Do you mind if I ask where you access the river to go kayaking? Tried to do so about ten years ago and couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

I see a lot of people going in to the water from the back of Kings channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Can you not get in at the Boat Club pontoon in Canada Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You physically could, but I expect that is their own pontoon, they retain keys for it etc... not public property as far as I know and that might introduce insurance / liability issues. But I am not an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

The formal walkway actually goes in as far as Glenville but the older narrow right-of-way pathway into town has been there for decades, if not longer. Also, I'm pretty sure the Council expressed an intention to continue the formal walkway all the way back into town in the last Development plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

The first time I was out there was 1990 I think. The lad I was with knew the lay of the land. We got down onto the river bank near Newtown woods apartments (which were not there then only two large modern houses). The lad I was with claimed there was a right of way from there down to the river. I wasn't convinced but nobody said anything to us. There was/is a navigation beacon near there, where we had a smoke. We walked from there up into Glenville estate, On the other side of the estate there was a bridge that crossed Cove Lane which brought you into Gough wood. With some effort we walked via the 'Sunny Bank' all the may out to Ballinakill.It was very overgrown but even then as a 15 year old I could see the potential. Kings Channel and the Estuary were not developed yet. Only a few very old houses. In fact around there we were right on the river flood plain and on the other side of the trees next to the bank there was people clay pigeon shooting or maybe game shooting. The point is they were shooting which was something else we had to navigate. Happy days! When kids still did sh!t.

Advertisement