Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've met James a number of times over the years back to before they even started and he is always completely zero bullshlt when talking about their whiskey and their business. I'm a big fan of them and what they've done so far. I must get up for a visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Happy New Year Folks. I'm getting over a dose of COVID but the taste buds are good enough to appreciate this. Don't think I'll make midnight tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Nikki from the Barrel is one of my favourites. I had heard good things about it and was still nicer than I expected.

It's a complex fecker I'm getting a lot from it. Seems to be a lot of different things going on with not straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Opened a Blue Spot and Redbreast 10 cask strength this Christmas and shared out some samples. I didn't get to try any myself until New Year as I came down with a sinus infection. Both very enjoyable but preferred the Redbreast , goes down easier than 59% should 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Having had great plans to open several cask strengths, food duty, family etc meant that I leaned to Redbreast 12 and John's Lane for the Christmas. I did try the Redbreast Tawny also, trying it again now(I think it's delicious), along with the Lustau which I also really liked, but not as much as the tawny. I also tried Green Spot Leoville Barton a couple of times, definitely will pick up another.bottle.

Hopefully will do the Redbreast CS, John's Lane CS and blue spot over the coming days. They're to be opened, not sit on a shelf..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

Got a Tyrconnell Malt iN a uk airport duty free .£17/19 ?! After four or five ‘sittings’ Im convinced they’re putting 5-10% Connemara Peated in with this .Not a positive development to what was a rock solid choice in my opinion .Have they just made it slightly ‘peated’ this year ?( to appeal to Islay scotch fans ?) Anyway the medicinal hint is def there for the first time .I think this Christmas may be the first time in a 4-6 year whiskey ‘journey ‘ I’ve had four bottles on the go simultaneously .Powers , Sexton , Tyrconnell and Redbreast . It’s probably a good idea as long as you don’t just quaff them all four times faster !:-( A few nights I used a bar measure to work my way through them with some restraint .A pleasant experience :-)

Id def go for the basic Powers and Redbreast as my faves .That Sexton bottle is a pain with built in spillage and the inability to see hoW much is left .And I’m not happy with the ‘peated ‘ flavour of Tyrconnell .

Having spent a lot of my €22’s ( or whatever the govt have decided I can buy my bottles for ) in the Bushmills camp recently I was pleased to try a nip of Powers on a near 24 hour ( intermittent ) fasted palate .It had knockout biscuit/ vanilla sweetness .I still miss the aul gold label bottles but it’s good stuff .The Redbreast is a serious ‘desert island ‘ product !

Happy new year everybody ! Dry January can start when my two remaining bottles are drained !

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

A lot of people say the bunnahabhain 12 is peated but the distillery says no. The general explanation is that they do peated expressions and cleaning the peat out of all the pipes is crazy hard. Could be this tyrconnel is starting to show similar

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Finished off the Kilchoman Sanaig last night watching the darts. I shared about half the bottle out in samples but it's probably the quickest I have got through half a bottle in a long time. Kept reaching for it. I'm on a self imposed ban from buying whiskey as I have too much of it in the house but this is one I will be replacing when the stocks get a bit lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Had the kilbeggan small batch rye tonight. Delish. Apple sour candy on top of pot still. Not very rye-ey compared to bulleit rye or powers rye

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Very interesting, this sent me down the rabbit hole, somewhat.

A useful contribution here from some redditor who enquired of the distillery directly, this may be what you're alluding to, but I thought people might like to read it.

Bunnahabhain 12 - Peated or not? : r/Scotch (reddit.com)

"Hello Richard

Thank you for your enquiry.

I think your guys are probably having a discussion that takes place all over the whisky world, and will probably continue to do so.

Regarding the numbers game, the PPM reading is essentially a scientific reading of the peaty chemical left on the Barley at the end of the Malting Process. It is left there by the smoke that drys the Barley, so in simple terms, the longer the exposure to the smoke from a Peat Fire, the higher the peating level will be. Remember though, you do not always need Peat to have a fire, but you will still get smoke, and hence (probably) the "subtle prevelance of smoke" comment.

In reality, we are about as unpeated as you can get, although a Scientist might dig down and find some trace elements in there somewhere, and for this reason we will usually talk about the Barley being probably somewhere between 0.5 & 2 PPM.

I'm not sure how much that helps, but there you go!! :)

Best wishes

David"

Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,945 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Had a Fercullen Single Grain Amarone Finish tonight and it was very pleasant. Don't think I've had any Fercullen before and I had to google Amarone to find out it's red wine 🤣

I'm surprised it was too, don't think the red wine casks did much to the flavour and it was very light in colour. Very nice though, extremely strong honey flavours, almost heading into mead territory, and very smooth. I'd gladly have some more but I only had a sample bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

was gifted a bottle of the whistler by boann distillery. its a very acquired taste and i dont like it, matured in peat casks its like licking a shot off a sod of turf. back to something more mainstream me thinks......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's not typical of Whistler output - the ones I've had and enjoyed weren't peated eg Calvados cask, Sherry Cask, Dark Symphony.

You could try and tame it with ice and \ or a small splash of something like lightly sparkling water such as San Pellegrino.

Must be this one - Good Bad and the Smoky

https://boanndistillery.ie/product/the-good-the-bad-and-the-smoky-irish-whiskey/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Don't think it was mentioned on the thread before - there is newish Irish based whisk(e)y retailer with online presence and they seem to have a store in Blackrock (maybe someone local can confirm). The Single Malt Shop - they seem to have some connnection to a Swedish whiskey investment fund with bonded storage in Wexford.

I picked up a bottle of a whisky from a 'restarted' Scottish distillery, Glenglassaugh. Sandend single malt is a Highland single malt in maritime style, 50.5%. Getting a lot of buzz e.g. it was picked by Whisky Advocate as its most exciting whisky of the year - although I do wonder how much of that is down to the new owners being Brown Forman.

It was €65 with free delivery, delivery in Dublin by DHL, said it shipped from Stafford Bonded in Wexford.

They are running a promo on the site now to spin and get a % discount (up to 10% off). I also got a 10% off next order code with my current order.

The whisky has a lovely, long dry finish. Didn't detect much or any smokiness, more salted finish.

The finish stands out, as the WA review notes:

This non-age statement expression, named for the bay offshore, is bright and delicate, with aromas of citrus and minerality leading to a luscious palate filled with layers of flavor revealing peach, apricot, honey, pound cake, and vanilla, all accented with a touch of sea salt. Rolling spices help create an explosive, long-lasting finish. It’s gentle yet complex, but above all it’s an easy sipper you can just sit back and enjoy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thats interesting! Cheers for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Got a present of Bunnahabhain 18 from my wife at Christmas (I "suggested" what to get - have wanted to try it for years) and been tipping away. I think this is as good as it gets for scotch at 46%. Lovely sherry character, no smoke and with a salty kinda finish. Top class drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is a lovely drop. Aged in bourbon casks for 5 years and finished in medeira casks for 6 months so a lot going on. Lovely spice and fruit to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Currently some Redbreast 15 year old . decent stuff ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Might try picking up a hinch to try

Seeing more of it all the time now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got a Dalmore 15 over Christmas, typically I'm not a Scotch drinker, much prefer Irish Whiskey so unsure if I should swap for something or give it a go. Anybody had it lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭JMcL

While it's a few years since I've had Dalmore, it's a lovely drop IMHO. It's not heavily peated and is smooth and sweet if that's to your taste

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That sounds OK actually. I'll give it a drink during the week, maybe even tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I don’t think you can really say you aren’t a scotch drinker. There’s so much variety.

I know some people aren’t into peat, and maybe that’s it, but I don’t think Dalmore is peated. Open to correction on that.

Often better value with scotch I find.

Got this reduced to £20 in Tesco NI yesterday and thought I'd open it. 30% of it is 16 year old Bushmills.

Really pleasantly surprised. No grain burn at all. Very fruity and tropical and also rich! Great value for money tbh

• Advertisement

I opened it and poured a 50ml bottle for the man who owns my local and had a tiny nip just there, it's actually very nice. WFH can be lethal when there's access to alcohol

You are correct in saying it's the peated stuff I'm not gone on

Advertisement