Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

Latest BBC news 24 forecast looked at next week and has a huge swathe of the southern half of Ireland including meath under snow as a battleground system comes in next week

It shows rain only on the south coast and looked like it swept away SE leaving Ireland on its cold side,is that not interesting enough ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If that ends up happening that would be great but alot can change over the coming week. Currently the KMA is hinting towards this with air that just might be cold enough if we could upgrade the cold a little bit more.

The above shows low pressure sliding southeastwards dragging in an easterly wind but there is some atlantic mixing going on so hard to tell if this would be a snow event or more of a wet wintry mix.

-4 to -6 uppers above which suggests wintry precipitation but unlikely to be lying snow away from areas well inland and higher ground. After this we become colder again out to the end of the run and the heights over southern Europe get pushed down into Africa which is promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

The takeaway statement on the deep dive video linked above is when they're talking about the battleground, all the suggestions are slider lows

What they said was that next weeks battleground could be the start of many and that this could be the pattern to the end of January, meaning you might get swathes of GB under snowfalls with ever decreasing temps there feeding us with extremely cold surface air more or less guaranteeing that what falls here in showers or at the edge of fronts is snow,am I ramping enough now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Ah sure we love a good ramp but depends on how steep that ramp is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

It's wedges make sledges forecasting territory so.

My feeling is that sliding lows will be initially forecast as much further north than their final position.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I just hope we don't end up in some messy slushfest rubbish. I'd nearly prefer rain to that crap. Fingers crossed we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not sure, if they keep coming I think some will make it further north at times. Blackbriar mentioned ramping, so in that spirit I will say we could end up in a 1947 esque position- repeated frontal snow events for a while ,or one big slushfest. I fear the latter, we could be wet much of the time while the Midlands and northern England are white.

Dublin live: weather experts( if only) say a winter to rival 1947 is on the way 😄

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

It's definitely on the way,

question is will it arrive in our lifetime???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Enjoying the technical charts and nerdy weather stuff here, stuff I'm pretty clueless about. I don't like the cold that much so I feel for you all, your little hearts will be broken when all we get is a few zoomed in pictures from a phone camera of a hill in Donegal in the distance with some snow on it while England is neck deep in the stuff. It's always the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Icon looking better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Yep ! Profile over Greenland much better and deep cold arriving Sunday night…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I can imagine the headlines now when it arrives!

'Record snowfall right across country as traffic chaos ensues!'

'Worst snowfall in living memory as continuous disruptive snow turns country to winter wonderland!'

And those are the UK headlines, meanwhile in Ireland it's raining 🤣

Quite the difference on the icon 6z and 12z still looks dry away from North.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The ICON

Significant upgrade on the 00z primarily due to a flattened azores.low, improved.block.ans better angle on incoming cold

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Icon unleashes a huge upgrade compared to its previous run ..not a bad start is it!😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Met.ie showing -4 for Thursday 18th.

Icon and ukmo look great. Gfs not having any of it, it keeps killing off the GH

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ok that could well be a game changer! That poor GFS tho! Serious game changing upgrades is what we seriously needed today! I just hope the GFS has gotten things very badly wrong with their current output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

The UKMO has given serious upgrades, so has the ECM and ICON. Good day for coldies.

I feel tonight's ECM could be a crucial run- aren't they all. If we see the ECM move towards the GFS it will be disappointing. The UKMO run seems a slight move to the GFS to me, but it looks very good initially. If the ECM stays steadfast, then it's more likely the GFS will begin an incremental backtrack on the pub run or tomorrow morning.

It's great to see the pink hue to the sky again. Fantastic walking weather altogether. If we can't get snow this is the second best thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Need to stay on topic. Please follow instructions on opening post :

Mod Note:

This thread is for posting/discussing/analyzing FI CHARTS ONLY i.e. Charts in the unreliable time frame, generally +T120 onward for Winter 2023/2024.

If your post does not specifically relate to an FI chart then it doesn't belong here - Off topic posts will be moved

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement