Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Just wondering, hasn't there been another Jim Sheridan documentary been announced? Or is this for 2024?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

I don't think any further "hearsay evidence" or sudden remembering of something said or seen so long ago would lead to a conviction ( or even a charge) at this satge. That recent claim that Bailey couldn't have known where her car was parked unless he was actually stalking her is clutching at straws.

Forensic evidence.....Bailey's ( or one of the other possible suspect's ) DNA on the block would be a game changer.

Compelling evidence that Bailey and Sophie were associated may move things forward.

Jules doing a 180 turn and incriminating him would change everything.

It would need something new and compelling to result in a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And touch transfer DNA being especially sensitive to cross contamination...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Unless its someone who has denied ever being at the place. And has a plausible motive.......

its along shot, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd agree

DNA or a total reversal by the Thomas family are the only things that would bring a charge closer.

But the inconsistentcy of Bailey's information in the podcast and what is know in public about the case just adds to all that speculation about Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I don't mean it's enough for a conviction but it gives the detectives someone to focus on.

If the DNA was from one of her french acquaintances, then they could check travel records etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

None of what I mentioned is "heresay evidence", it's all facts that have been acknowledged by Bailey who then tried to put a different spin on the facts.

Man with big mouth beware of foot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Even leaving aside the chances of getting such evidence for a minute, in general terms, if a killer was gloved up , hat on, thick coat (given the weather at the time) and given any potential DNA evidence left ON the killers clothing is now well and truly long gone, I’d argue that the best chances of any DNA left at the scene would be on the poor victim herself - like a strand of hair or finger nail evidence - after that, given how poor Sophie was documented as dying, I don’t really see much chance of any other DNA evidence available- and you would have thought, such evidence would be uncovered at this point.

The best chance of finding any DNA is obviously using the new advanced techniques on the rock and block that were the murder weapons.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Ian is very concerned that the cold case review he asked Drew Harris to conduct has been progressing without him actually being interviewed.

He has now cast doubt on the integrity of the investigation.

You couldn't make this stuff up it's so bizarre.

In the meantime the Gardai are very happy with the progress of the cold case review, they have reviewed nearly 10,000 pieces of information compiled over the last 27 years and examined a quantity of new material which has enabled them to build "a very strong and very detailed case around circumstancial evidence".

They are also using new forensic techniques in the twin track approach to solving the murder.

Ian said "This cold-case review seems to be taking some time, I would have thought I would have been contacted by the Gardai by now".

Don't worry Ian, I'd say they'll be contacting you alright when they are ready.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/ian-bailey-questions-integrity-of-sophie-toscan-du-plantier-murder-cold-case-review/a1653773016.html

• Advertisement

It might produce improved evidence but unless there’s “smoking gun” DNA evidence from the crime scene, I don’t think it will ever see the inside of a court room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ian likes to stay to stay very close to the case

Reminds me of that guy in cork that just got convicted

But in his case there was DNA evidence extracted eventually from evidence preserved - that was a rape and murder case- there is no evidence of sexual activity in this case- much less likely for traces to be there and even less likely for them to be extracted successfully now - not a “like for like” case at all unfortunately.

The rock and the block used to murder Sophie have been preserved.

The technology to extract DNA evidence from them is available and has been used successfully.

Plus Noel Long always denied his crimes and the only comments he ever made were when questioned by Gardai.

The Gardai have a lot more to work on in this cold-case review and as I said earlier in the thread they might have enough evidence even without DNA to solve the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's most likely the most convincing for any jury if it can be narrowed down a lot more.

Suppose they find DNA of a person from France on the cavity block, and this same person can be traced to a booked and travelled flight from France to Ireland within the time frame of the murder. This will certainly raise strong questions which can't be explained away easily.

Most likely this could lead to a conviction. Or the accused could argue he was visiting Sophie at some point before the murder and over Christmas travelled to Ireland, as a tourist, not visiting Sophie. Hard to say, how a judge or a jury would see that.... It just shows how difficult it could get.

And then there is the mass media, public opinions and rumors.....

However travel records aren't kept that long, even less back then. Even worse, if the murderer travelled under a false name or fake passport, - and back then biometrics in passports didn't exist.

If you mean Richard Satchwell he has only been charged so far and not convicted. He actually applied for bail at one court hearing recently.

Both himself and Bailey love the sound of their own voices, the publicity and notoriety associated with being a murder suspect. Joe O Reilly was the same, all three displayed typical narcissistic behaviour. Complete nutjobs.

The dark triad is known as psychopathy/sociopathy, Machiavellian and Narcissism.

They often come together.

Huge arrogance and ego and think they're untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭beachhead

I admire the French system of justice.You are guilty until you can prove your innocence.Its why the French police sit on their backside most of the time.especially,when Irish get murdered on French territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Might be much easier if guilty until proved innocent was the standard. Better conviction rates?

• Advertisement

A lot more innocents languishing in jails with long prison sentences I imagine - at least the innocent till proven guilty approach means there has to be a certain standard of proof against you- not infallible by any means especially for certain types of crimes but when it comes to murder it’s pretty damn good at only nailing the truly guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It can be nearly impossible to prove you DIDN'T do something; the burden of proof must rest with the accuser!

Finding DNA from someone in France would be incredible and finding travel plans along side that a miracle - however, I get the feeling Sophie’s son in his reference to being positive about 2024, after speaking with Gardai , is very much focused on an existing suspect rather than anyone new and certainly not a French person

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless I'm mistaken, as the Gardai failed to seal off the murder scene which allowed Bailey and others traipse through it, any DNA found can be claimed in a court to have been deposited when the source was traipsing around. Too difficult to prove otherwise and it potentially makes any scientific evidence worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Forensics had done their work and gone by the time Bailey among others “traipsed” through the murder scene.

DNA was found on a blood spot from her shoe. Unidentified male, it could have bene traced perhaps by gene matching through databases like 23 and me etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Evergreen_7

No. We can’t do that here. Even in countries where genetic genealogy is used there’s only certain small databases that can be used, and the users give informed consent for their genetic information to be used by law enforcement.

it definitely could be done if it was legal here for that dna sample, but they’d have to get a fresh sample from the boot, they can’t use previous dna samples as it needs to be processed differently. So if the boot has been preserved it’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I don't think fingerprints or saliva would adhere to a concrete breeze block. This new test will attempt to extract DNA from bloodstaining which is present - DNA other than that from the victim.

They say they will look at circumstantial evidence and to apply modern forensic techniques.

Almost 10,000 separate pieces of information compiled over the past 27 years are being re-examined.

• Advertisement

I think it's a waste of resources unless there's evidence they have we don't know about.

No DNA, no witnesses, no suspects, no fingerprints.

We don't even know time of death for certain. There's a theory she died in the morning because her lights were off but maybe the killer turned them off.

It could've just been a burglar chancing holiday homes over Christmas holidays and it went wrong.

Advertisement