Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we excited yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

Anyone tempted to buy Sol? It was a coin flip for me to buy link or Sol. I went with link but don't want to feel like I missed the boat with particular with the pull back at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

I'd said to go for it. It's still 66% below its previous all time high and there has been a lot more development since then. But only with funds you can afford to lose. 😉

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm heavily into SOL and think it will go a long way, could be wrong of course !

Well this is it folks, the long awaited historical moment of institutional investment is here, does anyone have any timely profound comments upon this hour?

Will the next generation in 10-20 years look back at this moment and wish they could have been here with a bag of cash to invest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Tango One

What did I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well now we know what will happen when its announced after that brief pump and then dump again just then (funny the SEC cant secure their own twitter feed)

Hardly surprising, the whole organisation is completely incompetent

• Advertisement

Such a clown show hahahahah

The SEC will have to investigate itself for market manipulation

Very fishy, seemed to be the fastest recovery of an X account in history. Some serious money lost on longs there, a lot to answer for,

I’m not convinced on the dump as a natural course, there’s a good chance it was the realisation that the approval was fake, those in close proximity would have known prior to the actual Gensler tweet.

An interesting theory though is that if the money flows out of BTC it will flow into eth.

He may have warren on his side but there’s quite a few in congress that seem to have had enough of him, at the end of the day and aside from his previous incompetencies his tactics on crypto have driven innovation out of the US

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Now that BTC money has "gone into" Eth since the hacked tweet it will become a thing in crypto. The entire clownshow never stops being entertaining

Ahh welcome back dohn, jumping the gun as ever, just a theory at the moment but hang around pal as this will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,412 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

How is ETH projected to do if and when a BTC etf gets up and running?

There is no if, the when is today, I don’t really follow any eth people so I’m fairly ignorant there but eth seems to have come alive just a bit so that’s a good sign

• Advertisement

Approved (for real this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No dramatics, BTC going sideways and alts with a nice little gain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Eth with major gain ,the or should I say eth irony .

Not sure how that is likely in a bull market with etf's rolling and the impending fed pivot, plus the halving. Ok Gensler is probably going to go after dexs but he will be busy trying to keep his job at the same time. Its all about the next big thing now that etfs are out of the way, and the next big things are likely to come from dexs, ai, decentralized social media, utilities - imo alts thrive this year

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Tomorrow should be interesting with an estimated 4 billion to flow into Bitcoin. I have less bitcoin than I'd hoped but it's still over 20% of my bag. I am betting that btc will be strong but other coins will be stronger.

Who knows but it's going to be a hell of a year one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Is this such a good thing? Are ETF fund managers under any obligation to back their products with actual bitcoin purchases? Will we see a situation now where money will pour into the etfs but not the crypto itself?? I'm a bit confused by the whole thing.

The only immediate benefit I see is that we are a bigger step towards adoption (but this is inevitable anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

So the ETF is a fund, NASDAQ listed. Its assets will be bitcoin so the fund has to buy bitcoin. This will reduce supply and increase bitcoin's value. Also, and this is not the SEC's intention, but approving the etf legitimises bitcoin for many. I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

There's something a bit off for me (or at least a gap in my understanding). If Blackrock, for example, buys $5 billion worth of bitcoin tomorrow. Over the next 6 months, ETF enthusiasts put $10 billion collectively into the ETF product. There is now a mismatch between the amount invested in the ETF and the amount of Bitcoin Blackrock are holding. Blackrock will then have to decide, do we buy lots more bitcoin in anticipation of more money going into the ETF or do we take a more cautious approach and buy less given the price could plummet.

Another, even more scary scenario is if Blackrock overinvest in bitcoin and find that there is nowhere near as much interest in the ETF as they anticipated. They would then need to sell a huge clump of their holding to off-risk, which could send the price downwards. So in effect, this news may only introduce more intense volatility in the short term.

As I said, I'm not hugely familiar with how ETFs work and I'm sure this predicament arises with other ETFs too. But it seems this could give the fund managers a lot of control over the price and/or supply!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Probably worth researching ETF's. An ETF is most commonly a selection of exchange traded assets parcelled and managed by a financial institution, like Vanguard. The key points are the management and exchange tradability, which means the stock exchange. This allows retail traders easy access to financial products they might normally be excluded from, like government and corporate bonds.

The value of a unit in an ETF usually reflects the current market value of the underlying assets. So if you have one unit of a mining ETF that is comprised of BHP and Rio Tinto shares, and the ETF holds equal quantities of both, and one unit of the ETF represents one share in each of those, then the value of one unit in the ETF will usually trade for around the combined value of one share of each.

The ETF fund managers usually have the daily underlying value of one unit in the ETF published on their website which is updated daily to reflect what the individual assets last traded for.

Large investors are usually very savvy as to to the underlying value of an ETF so your scenario of a huge mismatch between the value of the ETF and it's underlying assets is unlikely.

Advertisement