Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm jeep/crewcab.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,651 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you intend keeping it until it dies the Hilux would be the one.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The old landcruisers had us spoiled beyond a dream & we imagine there is still that pedigree out there.

There is nothing in the Irish market & beyond to come close to above.all have their issue's.

That old top gear programme with Clarkson & the hilux again has people thinking of a unbreakable machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

And the truth is the modern hilux is not a patch on it due to rust issues.

The old land cruisers were the king of them alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Search Facebook or DoneDeal for rustproofing services. To keep the hilux's on the road for life needs this investment where they strip it back to the chassis to repair and rustproof it.

The crowd are mentioned a few times on Boards, https://www.facebook.com/fmkrustproofing/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any practical difference in towing between the HI Lux and LC? For models of the same year, do they have the same engine? Is the wheelbase the same?

I've been a LC driver for a while now but a man came in my yard the other day with a Hi Lux and it looked impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Does the heating work in it? Damp might have built up if it wasn't in use

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd leave it running for a few hours with heater on full blast and see would it dry it out inside. If it's parked up for awhile then the damp might have set in and it needs drying out.

My own jeep was parked up for a few days over Xmas and it's never off the road during the year. When I went to move it the inside was all condensation and the steering wheel had a bit of grey mold. It goes to show how quickly the damp sets in this time of year, especially if parked in the shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Vents and heating filters may be dirty or blocked too. But you can check that after you get it dried out once right

I think you can get 12V dehumidfier. Another option is Silica gel it's a desicant ( a substance that absorbs water. You can buy it on-line. You just put it into the jeep leave it a couple of days take it out and dry it out( it remains hard even whennit absorbs water) and put it back into the jeep again.

Keep repeating process

Another option is this different product but it seems to work much the same way

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/glass-care/products/3408695/twin-pack-pingi-reusable-car-dehumidifier-condensation-catcher-for-cars-mobile-homes-and-more-?loc=ie&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA1-6sBhAoEiwArqlGPqBqYREXh4WWg50xuOA1HCmoAgd8be4fb15p9e0yPDyDjxLHw12o0BoCpdwQAvD_BwE

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Check the cabin filter. Probably has never been changed or not for a long time. In short term the silica gel the Bass mentioned will help soak up moisture inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I got these from micks garage. It says when they are full of water you can renew them by putting them in the microwave. I found them fantastic when new, but they decreased in performance after each time. Probably for 3-4 goes out of one before I binned.

my jeep is always full of condensation in the morning, and frost this weather. It’s a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Park it inside and save your money. A couple of good days in the summer with all the doors open will dry it out properly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Microwave on a medium setting for a shorter length of time. I have loose silica gel, pink when moist and blue when dry. Some turn black permanently if microwaved on high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Anyone in the market for a Range Rover Evoque? The wife is changing hers and I had a look on donedeal. There’s only two on it and they’re a ridiculous price. Hers is 2015 with 68000 miles on it and is immaculate with FSH. I was telling her to ask £10k for it privately. She’s found a 2022 model in England with 5000 miles but the dealership are only offering £8k part X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Prices are supposed to be dropping for landrover jeeps around London due to insurers not covering due to theft being rife apparently, may be worth checking down there. Dunno what the VRT is for one of those in terms of selling the wife's car, may get more selling it down here maybe if it was reg in the North all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Any one have a Renault traffic or master, the 2 litre engine. I’m hearing good things about them. Talking ten year old about.

what would they be rated for towing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

I don't get all the hype over Toyota and land cruisers. We had a land cruiser and it was the biggest pile of scrap we ever owned. Aren't all the engines constantly giving trouble with bad injectors or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The fix was simple in the end regarding the injectors, few cents for Washers and check the sump gauze every 3rd service.

There is a reason Toyota jeeps are out numbering all other jeeps on the road by about 10 to 1 after about 10-15 years.

They are of course very expensive to buy even second hand so they aren't everyone's cup of tea

You must have bought a dud.

I driving a Toyota Rav, 2.2D, 2010. Bought it in 2018 with 108K miles English import Invincible model ( good name for it).

It passed the NCT a few weeks ago 185k on the clock. Since I got it I have put a pair of shocks, a windscreen wiper motor, ERG valve and I think a pair of brake discs other than general servicing

Oil and filters is changed every 10k, diesel filter every 20k, brakes and tyres when needed.

It's tows a 10X5 box and draws 60 cattle to the factory, the sane ho.e from the mart, it take a few from tge farm to a few acres near the house as well as taking a few to the mart for the BIL.

I bought it for 7k and its probably worth a lot of that still. This year it failed on the dipped headlights being too high.

If any of the older Toyota's are half minded they will for forever. Heard of a lad with a CarinaE that had gone over the million and I think that was in miles.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The RAV is a superior machine to a land cruiser. I believe the reason the land cruiser is popular is because of group think. There's always flimsy bits of bumpers and crap falling off doors and all around.

I drive an old dmax and I know several people with them and we are all very happy. Bought it for 5k six years ago and I've no intention of changing it. Great on fuel. About 800 KMs to a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

How is the Rav superior to the cruiser, one is a car the other 4x4. Completely different for pulling a trailer.The injector problem was fixed under a recall, other than that I don't know of any other problem with them. There's still a heap of 20 year old cruisers on the road which says enough about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

I feel the same as that Straight and have a dmax as well. Little underpowered with a 3 tonne load behind but easy enough live with it if you drive accordingly. Mine is 06 and failed a cvrt on a rusty brake pipe 3 years ago and never any other bother. A neighbour has an 06 hilux with 100k less on her and less towing because his land is all in one block and the chassis is like a patchwork quilt where it has been repaired over and over. The dmax got a hole in the load bed but that was my fault as there is no liner in it and I spilt white lime in it, which got wet, and I never cleaned it out (it was under a few stakes, wire etc) so it burnt through. She has got a new hardy spicer on the drive shaft, a set of back leaf springs 2 years ago, a clutch at near 300k kms, starter rebuilt last year (€90) and a set of rear shackle bushings every 2nd year, they are about €100. The engine is timed with gears so no belt or chain to worry about.

I paid €8000 for the dmax in 2011. As bass said about the rav, she is still worth a lot of it. A hilux of the same age and condition would have cost about €14000 at the same time. I just don't see the value of the toyota premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

We drop the sump every second service. My mechanic told me always keep a close eye on the oil pressure light when starting, if it flickers back on even ever so slightly time to take action.

Ya, the RAV is like a jeep for the wife like. What I meant was reliability wise it is superior.

Friend of mine "upgraded" from a DMAX to Hilux a couple of years ago and he's in and out of the garage since with engine trouble. Sorriest day ever for him that he switched. It looks the part at the mart with the BF Goodrich alright though 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They all seem to have their issues, did the last gen of dmax have an issue with diesel in the oil?, rust on the Toyotas, the ranger engines had bother I think as well the 2.2 anyway. Nissan had the chassis issue, The amarok it's nearly always the emissions software/ hardware that causes the issues, same as other vw group cars. Had to delete the adblue off the skoda ecu here cos of it acting up

There was a consumer survey in the states of top 10 most reliable cars, 6 out of 10 were Toyota, 3 Honda and for some reason a BMW in there as well. Spose when most of the cars are either petrol or hybrid they don't have half the emissions hardware to feck up the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ginger22

Think there were two different sources for the Hi Lux, Thailand and Japan. The Thailand ones were supposed to be "soft".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Advertisement

Advertisement