Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

That clown wins on two fronts with his blue tick. He gets to spout his anger-inducing bile to a greater audience and potentially get paid for it by Twitter. Best not to engage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The comments are hilarious. "Perhaps it’s due to a lack of civic pride?" Improvements to the area means a lack of civil pride these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

David Quinn has been trying to drag Ireland back to the 1950s for decades at this stage, so it's no surprise that he'd look back at the traffic jams of yesteryear with a fond, wistful view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if they were levelling Fairview Park to build a cathedral, he'd be delighted (provided it wasn't being blessed by that degenerate hippy, Pope Francis).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

we're getting there, i think i'm more excited about the outbound though, fairview coming out of town was always the worst part of my commute, hellish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭bikeman1

That's brilliant news. I personally hate(d) in both directions on the North Strand from the Fire Station to the 5 Lamps. Total death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Definitely the closest I've come to being killed on the road was on that stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I still think they missed a trick by not having the route 2 way on the coastal side in as far as Annesley Bridge, with entry/exit points for people to access roads on the far side or for example the turn off to Summerhill / Ballybough

One of the joys of Sutton - Clontarf is if youre going straight you only have to interact with the 2 Bull Island roads and other than than your progress is completely unaffected by traffic lights and junctions on the main road.

2 way paths make huge sense on a large coastal road as you can really minimise interaction with the main road traffic.

• Advertisement

I was in Fairview again today. They were absolutely flying along. I saw 10 lads in one spot moving every around, then guys cutting stone, laying blocks around O’Donohoe solicitors.

There must be a plan to do the junction at Edges Corner / Gaffney’s pub over one right period as they will totally change this junction and their car park / mess room will be gone. Nothing has been done there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seems to be a bit of urgency at last after many periods with not much happening. I wonder is it because the council release funding in phases?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I cycled it yesterday. Coming along nicely. Inward section most advanced with the Anneslly Bridge junction and Connolly Stn sections remaining to be finished. Outwards section still a long way to go but loads of activity. Should be great when finished. Nth Strand Road was one of the kippiest roads in Dublin along with Dorset and Thomas St.

In a related note work proceeds ...very slowly... on the Port cycle path from Clontarf thru the East Link Business Park and along the northern edge of the Port to the ferry point. Heard from a fellow cyclist (no idea of true or just gossip) that the Clontarf mafia residents are whinging about their view again ..resulting in delays? Could be Dublin Port tried to deflect from their own tardiness?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the Clontarf mafia residents are whinging about their view again

Ah sure it won't be too long before they've to move out because the place is under water!

I travelled in and out along the route today and while the outbound section is not usable, it was the first time I travelled inbound the whole way.

Some experiences: drivers pulling out from the Clontarf dart station car park and also pulling into Westwood almost took me out despite lights, etc. Something needs to be done to address this (and get the queue of idiots heading to WW out of the bus lane also!).

As I was heading past Fairview, it was tricky to see the surface. Couldn't see the way the path went around the footbridge and thought it went straight and to the right of the steps. Possibly going too fast there so my bad!

The surface is crap. Too many ups and downs, too many shores and other bumps. It doesn't make for a comfortable ride plus it means that you're watching the ground more than you should be.

Pedestrians walking along it I passed one elderly lady carrying her shopping walking towards me in Fairview but there were other instances where people (and a dog) were in it.

It's great to have it and it will encourage more active travel in and out of the city but people of Dublin need to have a bit more cop on when travelling (by foot or by car) near it.

I've noticed a few issues at junctions. When travelling inbound, the junction with East Wall Road has a green light for cyclists, and a flashing amber let for cars. Cars generally ignore this, and turn when the bike has priority. These junctions seem to all have this problem in the city. Drivers don't know how the lights work.

Similar at the junction with Ossory Road, and I've seen outbound traffic turn, and almost hit cyclists travelling inbound.

Another issue I've noticed is shores that seem to have their covers pulled off and replaced at an upwards angle, which could be very dangerous. Then I spotted a truck driving onto the cycle lane, which was causing this to happen. The drivers leave again, leaving it in this state.

I noted this morning that the outbound at Fairview left turn at Edges Corner is no more and the Junction is now taking shape for the future plan.

That is a more pronounced right turn inbound to head along Fairview Strand. After a year and a half of using the space outside Gaffneys as only a car park and mess room, and caging the whole place in for no reason, work seems to be finally happening there.

It will be interesting to see how they manage the job at the junction because they need to keep the flow along Fairview Strand if they are keeping the route into the 5 lamps closed to cars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it's going to be an interesting one, I can't remember exactly how that junction is going to look at the end, are you going to be able to turn left there outbound? Is it just the slip lane that's being taken out, or the ability to turn left at all?

If it is being taken out, the residents on Cadogan and Addison roads are left in a bit of a quandary, as they can't turn right coming out of their roads, and they can't turn left at Edge's corner either. They'll have quite a detour to head towards town. They'll be able to turn right eventually, but not right now during construction.

Unrelated, but I heard a laundromat is going into Edge's Corner, what a missed opportunity.

Just spotted a tweet with the following photo of traffic heading into Westwood. I also note the two yellow signs (from WW?) advising cyclists (who have right of way) to proceed with caution - surely a better solution can be made...

• Advertisement

The outbound at Fairview left turn at Edge's corner is gone forever now. Not a huge loss. While you may think that the Cadogan etc. residents have a long detour, technically there is no turn towards town for any of the roads along the closure route and they all must head outbound first before turning towards Ballybough and in via Summerhill. They will have to go via Fairview Ave, Brian Road, Philipsburg Ave and into town that way.

1st class dry cleaners have moved from Fairview Strand to Edge's corner and opened for business this week too. They did a very good refurbishment of the building and have maintained the Edge's Corner name above the door. They have moved to make way for a substantial development in their old premises.

Looks like no left turn outbound when everything is finished. I'm sure there'll be a lot of illegal left turns made though.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

What sticks out to me there is the left hand cycle lane, at the junctions, to turn right across the pedestrian crossing! Good luck making that work!!

In terms of the illegal left turn, I imagine the pedestrian lights will be green so making the illegal left turn would require breaking pedestrian lights. In the near term people might chance it, but unlikely after that.

The idea is to pull to the left and wait for the light at the toucan crossing I’d imagine.

As for motorists breaking pedestrian lights, I see then do it every day at similar junctions. I can’t see things changing without any kind of meaningful enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You are joking aren't you?

Drivers constantly ignore red lights and the flashing ambers are just a green light as far as most drivers are concerned.

There seems to be a real upturn in drivers not paying attention to red traffic lights.

I dont see why the councils cant install cameras at the lights and issue number plate fines for breaking reds and flashing ambers with pedestrians on the road.

Something needs to he done as its a free for all & very dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I walk and drive into town regularly and know the roads well in terms of no left turns (lots of them) and light sequences. I've never once seen a car break a no left turn and a green pedestrian light.

However, it's happened 3 times at a specific junction, where you can legally turn left but drivers have barrelled through a green pedestrian light without waiting for their signal, one of those times actually brushing off me as I stepped out.

It's just my experience but I don't regularly see drivers illegally turning left when there is clearly a no left turn sign. The turning angle will be quite sharp at Edge's corner so I just don't see it happening.

As for the bike 'right turning lane', positioned on the left, there's no way it'll be used correctly. If no pedestrians are crossing, then cyclists will simply continue cycling straight ahead and not yield to cyclists coming from their left (inbound direction in particular). It's a weird set-up in my opinion.

“No one uses the cycle lane anyway.”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"As for the bike 'right turning lane', positioned on the left, there's no way it'll be used correctly. If no pedestrians are crossing, then cyclists will simply continue cycling straight ahead and not yield to cyclists coming from their left (inbound direction in particular). It's a weird set-up in my opinion."

If the pedestrian crossing is already green, you probably won't use it and simply turn right to cross. However if the pedestrian crossing is red, then you are more likely to use it as you need to hit the pedestrian crossing button to get the lights to cross.

BTW This sort of crossing is at a few points along the cycle lane, not just here. For instance down by Westwood.

Yes, great to see, but one thing I note is the dirt and debris already in a new cycle path!

DCC really need to get use to the idea that they need to regularly clean and clear cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭alentejo

Regarding the Westwood gym and the constant no of cars blocking the cycle lane, I suspect many regular cyclists will simply use the bus lane.

• Advertisement

Advertisement