Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I can't see it working for any length of time, provided of course the listener figures are of actual importance here. Perhaps he will be able to establish a low baseline listenership that isn't offensively bad to the management and if he can rumble along like that for 6 to 12 months, I think he and NK will consider it job done. Back to Ireland like a big British radio star.

But it's just a big ask for Tubs. I think any competent, "safe pair of hands" mid-morning DJ in a comparable position on UK radio would have a bit of charisma, a bit of likeability and would have some kind of rapport with his audience, even with the limitations of this music and ad heavy format. The old blather and superficial guff that Tubs sold on Radio1 just won't work. Irish blarney is especially embarrassing in 2024. London is a 50 minute Ryanair flight away now. People head over to buy clothes in the morning and are back in Ballyboreen for teatime. With technology today the UK is like the next town in the county. There was a market for that paddywhackery in years gone by and perhaps on BBC, doing a slow moving classic hits thing, there still might be amongst an older demographic, but how can it work on this station with this listenership?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ah, ha! I was getting my Spotify linked to car earlier, and the radio came on at Q102 first (I don't really listen to radio, but it starts radio when comes on). At the exact moment you mentioned the Niall Horan bit - Christ, I nearly felt sorry for him. "My friend Niall Horan chatted to me in the dressing room, then said "Ryan, I've got to go out on stage"." I guess you had to be there.

then it went on to "Oh, I've got a listener in Abu Dhabi" or somewhere, adding it to the list of new listeners he had. Before saying, "you can always email me at ryan.tubridy@virginradio.co.uk" - there's an email for future queries I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I followed Tubridy on insta there few days ago and had to unfollow him. He’s so fooking childish and contrived. It’s the usual me, me, me.. and boasting about all the gifts he’s being sent. Strange fish

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

He comes across as very very needy. Quite a pathetic individual that the Irish public funded through RTE’s army of researchers, runner and fetchers for decades. Real disgrace tbf

Post edited by Danny Drier on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I followed Tubridy on insta

Why would you do this in the first place? What exactly were you expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

Watching a car crash in slow motion is captivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Curious. Nosey. Checking him out since his RTE departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I heard him giving his Instagram handle on his show today, inviting questions, suggestions, recommendations, etc.

He did warn that any non - kind content would cause one to be "blocked at dawn" 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Lots of knickers wending their way to London Bridge. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Terry prone on newstalk earlier reads 8 books at the one time in and out. Buys over 100 books when she travels to to the US. Was interesting to listen to her favourite ones in the last year, came across a genuine book worm..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Does anyone on here who are Tubs fans think the show is good?

I'm not a fan but listened in. His needyness (to my ears) is off the charts.

The name dropping of his pallyness to the "stars". His constant reading out positive posts. His Irish references... is this the pro you thought he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Even though she can be a bit smarmy on TV, she does appear to have a razor sharp intellect. Her "Ryanstone Cowboy" quip was very good. There's a vast difference between her vocabulary and that of Tubridy. Surprised she hasn't discovered Amazon Kindle though. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

How are either 1984 or Wuthering Heights "hard"? Theyre not happy ever after or upbeat novels but Tubs seems to be implying that theyre hard to follow which is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

What does he mean when he says “hard”- I read 1984 when I was about 11- WH is a great book also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Yeah, he hasn't read them. Maybe he is working up to it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It means he hasn't read them, and because he puts himself intellectually above everyone else out there, he believes these books would be too hard for plebs to read.

But what it actually translates to is that because he hasn't read them, he doesn't want anyone else reading them which will give them a perceived leg up over Ryan and his bluster bluff of being a so called 'bookworm'.

He's only done 6 shows and has already outed himself as being utterly void of any redeeming features or likeable traits.

6 shows....

yet after 25 years in RTÉ he was somehow the top man, the head honcho, the creme de la creme of Irish broadcasting....

I reckon the RTÉ big wigs secretly want him to succeed in the U.K. as it will go someway to justify the utter nonsense they've been spouting about him and retaining 'top talent' over the last 10-15 years... Most of us already knew all this and how 'good' he actually was, so it's extremely satisfying to see him crash and burn in a mountain of mediocrity (actually, the term mediocrity is too kind for him as he wasn't even at or close to that level).

And yes, I simply don't like the man. why? Because for years and years he's been stealing a extravagant living from the licence payer, while possessing a set of skills that would barely warrant earning 10% of what he's earned over the years. He's smug, arrogant and utterly self centred, and has about as much charisma as a mouldy bourbon biscuit that wasn't eaten 3 Christmas' ago, yet somehow wasn't thrown out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think Tubridy believes that he has created this lovable persona that has worked in the past in Ireland and given him all his success, so he's going to stick with that shtick until the bitter end. Of course he only ever had any success because of nepotism and his RTE connections. He's mediocre and an embarassment as a presenter, but hey the JNLR figures for the Toy Show once a year and a fat pay packet means he can delude himself all he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

. As many others have said, Irishness was one string among many, on the likes of Terry Wogan's bow. Like many successful emigrants to the UK, my own elderly family members among them, Wogan was more english than the english themselves but with an exotic flavour of Ireland which was like catnip to the British listenership. Tubs possesses none of that allure. So I can't see it working out long enough for him to see out his and Noel's cunning plan to fruition!

That's a great synopsis of the situation, Tubridy is too irish and too regional to cut it in UK. Culturally he is dublin 4 he doesn't get the English or their culture. You need years of living in UK to get what makes them tick. Wogans generation were more aware of British culture than modern irish people simply because ireland was a basket case therefore they had to tune in properly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

It also begs the question - when it comes to RTE's top shows, does the presenter matter? Marian Finucane's old show is continuing on nicely with Brendan O'Connor at the helm. The Late Late Show isn't suffering because of the change of presenter. And tellingly, the audience figures for Tubridy's old radio show went up once he left. As well as showing his own limitations up on his new show, Tubridy isn't doing his other NK stablemates any good back home. Unless things turn around, I can't see this gig in London working out for him. I'm sure he'll stick it out for the medium term but they're probably already working on the PR for ending the contract.

• Advertisement

His persona has been a castle made of sand from day one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Don't DARE mention The 'K' word in a Ryan Turbridy thread.... he hates them you know. You need to be able to leaf through a book, the smell of the ink etc etc. :)

He just sniffs and feels books , never reads them 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Asking listeners to text in with recommendations for books. He has never read Les Miserables. More pontificating about why people should read books. He's becoming a parody at this stage. Finds it hard to walk past a bookshop without walking in. Best thing about London is array of bookshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Just wait until he finds his way into Diagon Alley and visits Flourish and Blotts. We'll never hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Just listening to a link via Q102 for the first time now. Even giving out that Whatsapp number is a bit of an ordeal for the man. Read out a text from some emigre fella in "Derbyshire" (supposed to be pronounced "Darbyshire"). England's been good to me type of thing. Looong chat with some random fella about how great Les Miserables is. Tubbs must have mentioned that he's going to see the show tonight or something. That'd be great if it was 1987 or so. Still speaking too quickly for my liking, never mind what the Brits must think.

The problem with it is there are much better talents on various UK stations doing this type of engagement with texts type stuff who are rooted in the time, place and culture of the UK today.

It's like he's doing one of those Sunday evening "Irish Hour" shows that used to be all over BBC Local Radio, without the BIg Tom and Maura O'Connell tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

I've dipped in and out of the show since it started. Most of the engagement from his listeners seems to be from Irish people?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Unlikely he’s read them. His reading age is sun-normal for an adult. Probably still just about finishing the Kevin and Tara books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Asking Andrea Corr if her daughter is a nerd. Now talking about the Toy Show and what books Andrea is reading. Long discussion about the books she is reading at the moment. Can't imagine that this is going to wash with the UK audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Heard that. It's facking desperate. I really don't think it's going to work as it is.

Advertisement