Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given there’s active planning permission for apartments on site and we’ve just got white smoke on the Horgan’s Quay and Marina Quarter developments it’s not as slim as it was a few months ago.

Unless JCD have something big and solid confirmed with a major office tenant you’d imagine apartments are more likely than offices at this rate.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Unless gov are happy to pick up a tab of 3k an apartment a month or finance a housing body to buy at 600k an apartment it’s unlikely to be apartments. Can’t see many private renters or buyers willing to pay those prices

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

That’s what happening at Horgan’s Quay, though, and it came out today that’s happening at Marquee Road too

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

And Blackrock Villas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

The Sextant office block is quite an imposing structure judging by the photomontage in the planning docs. It makes me all the more dubious it will actually happen in the current commercial real estate climate.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/idocsWebDpss/files/214437.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Not the first time JCD has taken a contrarian view. Will be interesting to see if it turns out to be yet another success.

I’d question though if City Gate could be counted as a success. There is now a huge vacancy rate in those buildings. Some large tenants there have moved elsewhere and others have reduced their floor space due to so many people WFH. Of course, it’s possible or maybe even probable that JCD no longer owns any of the developments they built, in which case I guess City Gate was a success from their perspective.

That’s my point I guess. Any fool can buy/invest. The real skill is knowing when to sell. JCD has form on this. Buy, build, sell and bank the profit. Starting a build like this right now is decidedly contrarian. Will be very interested to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

According to a source on skyscraper city this will not be office but will be apartments and JCD will submit a slightly revised planning permission to revert back to the original proposal soon.

That’s very interesting. It certainly makes more sense to a layman like me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm glad to see anything being built, but housing in the city centre is really good news. I hope this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

That's excellent news. I can't see how additional office space is needed. There are plenty of decent standard office space which is currently half empty in the city centre and in the suburbs. Apartments and houses in the city is what is required. Fingers crossed this will be an apartment block, rather than more office space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The JCD and OCP city centre developments seem to be doing ok. Its the Bam ones in Horgans Quay and the event centre site that are really struggling. Hopefully there will be some good news on those over the next few months. Suburban office space is an almost impossible sell in Cork atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Good news to have more apts but id imagine its only going to happen because they can now get a government grant of up to €120k for every apt they build under Croi Conaithe, JCD will come out of that quite happy id say, the taxpayer not so much!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Croi Conaithe doesn't apply to build to rent schemes so the JCD Albert Quay development wouldn't qualify for such a scheme (unless there's a forthcoming planning amendment to change that).

It's more likely the LDA would fund the project so it's used for cost rental/affordable/social housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Agree, although I can't see where the demand for a 15 storey office block is going to come from, unless there are some huge job announcements coming down the tracks.

Still though. As you said, JCD have a much better track record in that regard.

on the suburban office space, the trend is definitely towards relocating to the city, which is great, because we might actually get some decent public transport eventually.

I'm not sure on current occupancy levels for the newer office developments like Horgan's Quay and Navigation square but I would guess the thinking is that companies looking to come to Ireland or expand Irish operations can rent office space and hire staff cheaper and more easily in Cork than Dublin.

Fair point but there will still be a good chunk of taxpayers money propping it up either way, build costs have only gone up since JCD decided apts were not viable so someone is lining their pockets to get to get it moving again same as the Horgans Quay Apt block.

• NSQ1 is either full or basically full, while I think NSQ2 is half full. No movememnt on NSQ3 or NSQ4 so I doubt we'll see the Navigation Square development finish until at least NSQ1 and NSQ2 are full
    • Penrose Dock is 100% full according to the JCD website, and One Albert Quay is likely practically full
    • I believe 5 Lapps Quay, 6 Lapps Quay and City Quarter are all full
    • 85 South Mall is full. JCD bought 89 South Mall and had plans to demolish it in 2017, but they've yet to happen
    • I believe The Capitol is full
    • No 1 Horgan's Quay is full bar the bottom two floors (Spaces and Apple have three floors each). No 2 Horgan's Quay is fully empty. I'm surprised they even went ahead with it given how remote work had already been well established when it started
    • The Brewery Quarter is empty, but is being looked at as a potential new City Library
    • The Elysian is full
    • The curved building on the corner of Anglesea Street and Copley Street looks full
    • The offices on Morrison Quay just finished. I've heard nothing about them but I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually changed those to hotel rooms
    • The offices on the corner of Ship Street and Alfred Street look full
    • Lavitt's Quay/Half Moon Street looks full

I think that's all of the major City Centre office developments covered since the mid 2000s? No movement on Anderson Quay, Union Quay (now UCC), Sullivan's Quay (planning since lapsed), Penrose Quay (west of Penrose Dock) or Kennedy Quay. The Prism seems to be given up on. Planning has likely lapsed, or nearly has, on it and Anderson Quay anyway

I was reading that again thinking 200apts + parking + retail units on that site!?

Totally forgot that development is a monster, photo montage from their planning pack:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

That looks fantastic

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Shame the quayside itself doesn't look as good!

That’s the office design. The residential design is taller and more slender. Given The Elysian is clearly visible from Maryborough Hill despite being its mostly glass side, this will be huge

The renders of the residential building: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/docklands-albert-quay-25-fls-82m-residential-site-enabling.2152634/

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

It's a pity that the buildings (historically) were not further back from the quayside.

Look at all the space down towards R&H hall between the buildings and the river.

I'm counting the floors there and those renders seem to be for the 15-story office development that they got approval for in 2021-2022. The previously approved apartment development that they're now reverting to is even taller.

The original residential development was to be 25 floors, comprised of 201 apartments; with 95 one bed, 102 two bed and 4 three bed apartments.

I haven't seen anything that makes it clear whether the latest residential proposal will revert to this height, or stick with the 15 floor hight of the office application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Deub

I am curious to know if it will be owner occupier apartments or sold to a big company (like the elysian) to be rented. I am guessing it is the latter as otherwise, they would have advertised and sold them before starting construction.

• Advertisement

They're build to rent, not build to sell. Some conditions that were attached:

4. The development hereby permitted shall be for build to rent units which shall operate in accordance with the definition of Build-to-Rent developments as set out in the Sustainable Urban Housing: Design Standards for New Apartments, Guidelines for Planning Authorities (March 2018) and be used for long term rentals only. No portion of this development shall be used for short term lettings. Reason: In the interest of the proper planning and sustainable development of the area and in the interests of clarity.

5. Prior to the commencement of development, the owner shall submit, for the written consent of the Planning Authority, details of a proposed covenant or legal agreement which confirms that the development hereby permitted shall remain owned and operated by an institutional entity for a minimum period of not less than 15 years and where no individual residential units shall be sold separately for that period. The period of fifteen years shall be from the date of occupation of the first apartments within the scheme. Reason: In the interests of proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

6. Prior to expiration of the 15-year period referred to in the covenant, the owner shall submit for the written agreement of the Planning Authority, ownership details and management structures proposed for the continued operation of the entire development as a Build-to-Rent scheme. Any proposed amendment or deviation ABP-305779-19 Inspector’s Report Page 101 of 110 from the Build-to-Rent model as authorised in this permission shall be subject to a separate planning application. Reason: In the interests of orderly development and clarity.

7. Prior to commencement of development on site, the developer shall submit, for the written agreement of the Planning Authority, details of the management company, established to manage the operation of the development together with a detailed and comprehensive Build-to-Rent Management Plan which demonstrates clearly how the proposed Build-to-Rent scheme will operate. Reason: In the interests of orderly development and the proper planning and sustainable development of the area.

Advertisement