Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Just looking for some advice please re a Nintendo Switch.

I've never owned a Nintendo console but played plenty, just never the Switch. I'm looking to buy one now as the handheld element really appeals and as the winter of my gaming life approaches (35 years old!) I want something to just have the ease of pick up and play etc.

Any suggestions on which console to purchase - is there differing versions? Also initial games to start with? I don't want any AAA stuff that can be got elsewhere as I have a PS5. More so Nintendo exclusives, stuff that really shines on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you're gonna play it mostly at home, I'd strongly recommend not getting the lite version. Just because the difference in screen size and use of the dock makes it a better console. I have a lite and my kids have the original and my guilty pleasure is robbing their console for a spin on the games. I haven't tried the OLED screen version but I'm def only buying OLED tvs after getting one so I'd recommend that version if you can get it (I think any new ones are now this version anyway).

I got Mario odyssey with mine and thought it was fantastic. I'm not a massive zelda fan but I understand the zelda games are supposedly brilliant also

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go with the OLED model if you are going to play portable a lot. The screen is a massive upgrade.

As for games:

Can't go wrong with Mario. Mario kart 8 is a must and great with friends over.

Mario Wonder, Mario Odyssey, Mario U, Mario 3D World are all classics.

I'll give a shout out to Luigi's Mansion 3 as well.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land gets slept on but it's great fun.

For platinum action games you have Bayonetta 2 and 3 and astral chain.

JRPGs you have the three Xenoblade games which are amazing. Fire Emblem the Three Houses is great with tonnes of content

Zelda botw and totk do open world games better than any open world games. It will unfortunately make all other open world games seem boring.

Pikmin 3 and 4 get slept on but they are amazing.

Metroid Prime and Metroid Dread for some top tier metroidvania.

Splatoon 3 is worth getting, it's a real fun pick up and play multiplayer shooter with a twist as it's more about territory control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭jj880

Its excellent. Difficulty is ramping up for sure. I like the style and setting. The Wheatley type character is a bit sh!t but passable. Hes no Stephen Merchant. Still hooked though. Reminds me why I enjoyed the Portal games so much.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The Legend of Dragoon. Is it worth playing?

• Advertisement

€29.99 on Playstation Store or €26.99 with PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

If you like PSX era JRPGs and you want to wind up @Retr0gamer, absolutely

if you're looking for something with quality of life updates etc in it, feel free to dip your toe in to see the gameplay but its a decently long slog of a game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I go bananas about how bad this game is but to be level headed about it is recommend not playing it. Its a miserable slog of a game to get through with a generic story, some really ropey battled graphics for such a late ps1 game and a battle system with depth that doesn't even exceed doing a timed minigame every time you attack and there's no strategy. And to make matters worse the timing of the minigame is way off because the game lags so much (made even worse on the European version and god knows how bad the extra lag in modern TVs makes it).

If you think it's just me being contrarian here's a contemporary review:

Saying that, please go through it and feel the pain I felt, I'd love a good laugh someone else's misery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Man, Suicide Squad is turning out some really bad previews. Normally you don't really get any opinions coming out in previews, but a good few of them are straight up saying they don't like it.

The GAAS aspect is killing it apparently.

The last paragraph in the article tells me pretty much to avoid! And I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The HUD. Visual vomit.

We're approaching meme levels now...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game is almost certainly DOA, but what’s sad is that it could lead to a whole bunch of job losses and maybe in the worst case scenario even the closure of a once prestigious studio. I hope that’s not the case, but this has catastrophic flop written all over it and has done ever since the game was revealed. Nearly a full decade of development to end up with this corporate-mandated mess. What a bloody waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe it might still be good...

"At least the Riddler puzzles are making a return from the Arkham games, bringing at least one familiar fun activity to Suicide Squad’s Metropolis."

Nope. It's going to be sh*t. Burn it to the f*cking ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nice to know that all divisions of WB are as clueless as each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's instructive how in interviews the studio are at paints to avoid the GaaS questions and flatly refuse even use the word.

Clearly, Warners' know this model is toxic, curries bad press and is broadly hated by gamers - yet somewhere in their HQ they believe it's worth building

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

The boomer at the end of the oversized conference table smoking a cigar told them to MAKE ME A GAAS GAME NOW! So that's what he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My main underlying hope was that at the end of the day, GaaS/live-service/battlepass nonsense aside, the actual gameplay might still be decent. I had faith in Rocksteady that they might still be able to make the gameplay sing in a way that few others can.

Unfortunately it really doesn't seem to be the case. It seems like the gameplay isn't bad, but just isn't particularly good either.

I feel so bad for Rocksteady.i obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes but i get the feeling they just want to make a high quality DC game to continue on their Arkham games and WB is making them so some fortnite **** for money. The devs know this is awful but what are you supposed to do when you have a ceo give the demands of battle passes and such. The whole gaming community knows this is going to fail and Rocksteady are clearly going to take full blame for for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying to remember the last time previews were this blunt. Usually they wait until the reviews to say they don't like it. I assumed they weren't allowed to give an option like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s certainly unusual. I don’t think there’s usually a mandate to be ‘positive’ or anything sinister like that, at least for most publications. But I think in general journalists tend to hold their fire in previews as it’s incomplete work they’re looking at. But very negative here.

I've been kind of reminding people that Earth Defense Force 6 is out around the same time and will be a much better shlooter with none of the GAAS bullshit. It feels like I'm doing gods work if god had as good taste in games as myself.

Defense Force gets 5 sequels and Days Gone can't even get one. As a great man once said "The world is broken.... bono make it better"

If days gone replaced the boring zombies with giant ants and spiders it could have been a classic.

Also it really needs a way for the NPCs to break out in a sing along on command:

Days Gone will be five in April. I will replay it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Out of ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Anybody else looking forward to Skull and Bones? It's a complete Sea of Thieves rip off but looks to be more mature. I'd be well up for it if it weren't for the 3 player co-op. It'll need a decent single player to entice me. The great thing is I can get a month of Ooobeesoft+ to try before I buy and if it is utter pants day one I can just play Mirage instead.

Pacific Drive previews are out, sounding and looking pretty pretty pretttttyyyy good. Even a part 1 of a Let's play which I'll be avoiding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, it's a tale of two previews, isn't it? First we get Suicide Squad, where you don't even have to read between the lines to see that they didn't like it, and then there's this, where again, you don't have to read between the lines to see that they loved it.

Advertisement