Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭boetstark

Because we are a tiny country. With the best intentions we cannot accommodate the numbers that are coming here.

Using America as an example isn't comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Sorry but this is real pie in the sky stuff — and it's important to say this because this thread often appears to have the popular view that the refugee crisis is nothing more than the product of government stupidity and it could all be easily fixed by simple things. If this is what we are talking about — the idea that somewhere like Kosovo should be the holding pen for refugees entering Europe — the logistics of this just don't work.

You only have to consider the question of why Ireland itself would not want to be a country acting as the holding pen for all refugees entering Europe — i.e. because it would be a nightmare to handle — to comprehend why no other country would.

Again though, these thoughts do not appear to be grounded in reality. You are talking as if the developed world is the only place that has refugees when in reality, most of them are not in developed countries at all. The European countries that feature higher up the list in the Top 15 refugee hosting countries as of 2023 (i.e. Poland and Germany) owe that to the Ukrainian crisis whereby they are hosting 2 million between them.

The majority of refugees are instead found in places like Turkey (3.4 million), Iran (3.3 million), Pakistan (2 million) and across Africa / Asia. You also have countries like Nigeria which have a huge number of internally- displaced refugees within the country. Many of these refugees are living in rough conditions — often in camps.

The point is that, even if you go beyond the fact that sending refugees straight to the streets is just a bad policy for several reasons, people who are desperate are not going to be dissuaded. If millions of people will live in terrible conditions all over the world as refugees, they will certainly live in such conditions in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I Can't wait for a general election to happen, if only to see that total idiot of an Eamon Ryan removed from government. What a total load of nonsense being spewed on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

whats he got to say for himself this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

We aren't competing with Iran and Pakistan on dissuading people claiming asylum. We are competing with the rest of the EU. We are in a race to the bottom and the last EU country to pull the ladder up, will get stuck with the problem.

Kosovo is just kite flying on my part. But since it's outside the reach of the ECJ and is a grey area regarding the Geneva Conventions, this opens possibilities that would not be available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Same as always, never answering a question and when he does your wondering what country or planet he's from. Kept on mentioning the great job Roderic is doing so that we enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We are just human, same as everyone else.

Some good, some scummy, some hardworking, some lazy ass, some criminal etc etc.

Just human

• Advertisement

Any response to why you believe Albanian asylum seekers here are Kosovo nationals?

Any proof whatsoever, or just something off the top of your head?

Kosovo already house their own asylum seekers in their own reception centres, why would you think they would take any other country's?

I already told you: it's immaterial if the Albanians presenting here claiming aslyum are from Albania proper or from Kosovo. It actually doesn't matter because IF we can setup a refugee camp inside Kosovo, that by itself, would act as a demotivator to people from there, desiring to coming here to claim asylum (only to be sent right back to Kosovo to be stuck in a tent city).

And i already answered your 2nd question. Pro Refugee posters such as yourself, have claimed that these people are an economic boon to the countries they arrive at. If you believe that to be the case, then why WOULDNT the likes of poor Kosovo seek to benefit from as many refugees as possible.

So basically what you should do now, is prove that Kosovo doesn't want refugees, because they are a net drag on their economy.

Pro Refugee posters such as yourself, have claimed that these people are an economic boon to the countries they arrive at. 

Please show where I have ever posted this? I have never made a statement like this.

Kosovo have their own asylum seekers in their own reception centres, bit patronising to think they're going to want other countries asylum seekers because they are a poorer country.

And what exactly is Pro Refugee?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Miharo

Well from a purely monetary point of view a Dutch study carried out in 2021 determined that most are except some European and Asian countries . I don't think everything should be judged on monetary terms though but that's been the popular way to refer to Ireland - as an "economy" in recent years. Particularly by the political and media cohort. Other things are less tangible and im sure includes some postive aspects but I think we can agree there are impacts on social cohesion, impacts on services etc. especially with the chronic lack of planning in Ireland.

"It is particularly interesting that the study by the University of Amsterdam also examined the differences by migration motive and country of origin. The study shows that almost all forms of immigration have a cost for Dutch society, with the exception of migrant workers from neighboring countries such as Belgium, Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland and Scandinavia, the Anglo-Saxon countries and Asian countries such as Israel, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. Only this relatively small group of immigrants makes a positive contribution to the receiving country.

The effects of all other immigrant groups are negative. The same applies to Eastern European labor migrants, which cost an average of 50,000 euros net (in 2016 prices) per immigrant, because they tend to work in low-paying jobs and therefore pay less tax and social security contributions than the average Dutch citizen, while their costs for education, Social security and tax payments are higher.

However, immigration from non-Western countries causes the highest costs. According to the University of Amsterdam study, the net lifetime cost of a non-Western migrant is 300,000 euros per person. In the case of asylum migrants, the number is even more than twice as high. The average asylum seeker from the Middle East or North Africa costs the Netherlands 625,000 euros per immigrant."

Please provide evidence that Kosovo doesn't want refugees, are you just making that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

He and his ideology, party and Roddy are all on borrowed time.

Kosovo do have refugees and asylum seekers, in their own reception centres.

Can you provide any evidence whatsoever that they want to take asylum seekers from other countries? No. It's just some notion off the top of your head.

I don't need to prove that they don't want something that they don't do🙄

Also, you didn't explain this:

Pro Refugee posters such as yourself, have claimed that these people are an economic boon to the countries they arrive at.

what is Pro Refugee ? And any proof of posts where I suggested refugees are an economic boom?

Posters such as yourself = pro refugee posters.

I didn't say that you specifically said it and i'm not going to waste my time searching your posts.

You know, people posting here with a point of view aligned with your own: that support government policy of no restrictions on Asylum Seekers.

if you don't believe that Kosovo want refugees, why do you think that is the case?

I'm not Pro Refugee, no-one is Pro Refugee, that's a ridiculous statement.

Pretty sure government policy is to accept asylum seekers as per our international obligations and domestic law. I merely believe in the law.

• Advertisement

I already told you, they do have refugees. In their own reception centres.

I don't have to prove they don't want them. That's not the way it works. That's like me saying my next door neighbour wants to be a famous actor, you prove he doesn't 🙄😂

So you believe that Kosovo want refugees, or that they don't want them?

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

This article is about a year old but one thing stood out to me

The man in this case applied for international protection in Ireland in August 2020. A search on an EU database indicated he previously sought international protection first in Belgium, then Sweden, both in 2015, and then the United Kingdom in July 2020.

The judge said he told Irish officials he was refused international protection in Sweden “because they did not believe my words”.

Irish authorities asked Sweden and the UK to “take back” the man pursuant to the Dublin Regulation. No request was made to Belguim.

The request was rejected by the UK and accepted by Sweden, under an article of the Regulation that referenced a “rejected” asylum application.

Kosovo have their own. No reason to think they want to take any from other countries.

Unless you have some proof that they do, we will leave this here.

In reality, it's not up to Kosovo anyway. It's a NATO vassal state so if the US and other NATO countries lean on them, they will have to oblige.

Not true.

NATO bases don't mean that Kosovo don't look after their own affairs. They do. Why you would think NATO would want to put EU asylum seekers in Kosovo is another mad idea with no base in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

The claim from many here is that all asylum seekers, or most at least, are fraudulent. The point was that those making fraudulent asylum applications would think twice about coming to Ireland to sleep in a tent in January. The desperate would take anything then can get.

You are right of course about the burden of displacement faced by European countries, excluding the Ukraine crisis, is a fraction of that facing the developing world.

What people truly need to realise, if they wish to see less migration from poorer countries into Europe is that push factors will need to be addressed. We can say that dealing with issues in those countries is the responsibility of those countries and nothing to do with us. But as long as the issues occur, people will continue to come. If the western world truly wants to eliminate, or at least massively reduce, migration in western countries due to deprivation there are two things that can be done - 1. massive investment in those countries to provide opportunities for people where they are reducing the push factors. 2. Stop the brain drain from the developing world - many say they have no issue with immigration of skilled workers. The effect of this however is to often remove the most talented young people from these countries, who otherwise would benefit the development of their native land.

This would have a significant impact on economic development in the western world however but otherwise people will just keep coming as for the entirety of human history people have moved from areas of conflict and deprivation to areas of stability and opportunity.

That is just plain naive.

Anyway, i've decided to put you on ignore.

Ignore anyone that doesn't agree or proves your arguments to be based on nothing. Good way to debate anything.

Not sure how much time you have spent in Kosovo.

• Advertisement

Could you please link to this study?

Similar studies have been conducted in the UK with similar findings but the pure monetary lens is not the whole story by a long shot. When we talk about migrants working in low paid jobs, paying less tax etc — this stems from the fact that they are often plugging labour shortages. Ireland is perhaps one of the best examples of an economy that has quickly moved from a rural, agricultural, lower skilled economy to one characterised by high levels of education leading people into highly skilled jobs in the STEM, healthcare and professional services spheres. When you have a population "moving up" on the skill ladder, the rungs "below" need filling. This is the point — many immigrants will invariably move into lower skilled roles because that is where the shortage is in an economy where most young people are qualified for higher skilled roles.

Another good example here is Brexit Britain, whereby their separation from the EU was supposed to reduce immigration. What has actually happened? Labour shortages caused by the downturn in EU migration have led to a huge increase in non-EU migration. The majority (53%) of people turned away now at the UK border are EU citizens and since 2021 only 5% of all visas were granted to EU citizens (which is a fairly wild statistic). In contrast, the UK has gone from an intake of 293,000 non-EU migrants for the year ended 2021 to almost 1 million for year ended 2022 — which is almost double the peak figure for EU migration as of March 2016. So they have actually ended up increasing their pre-Brexit immigration intake.

What that represents is a tale of what happens when the aspirational guff spouted by many on the right about their so-called common sense policies hits the cold, hard concrete reality of the modern world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement