Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Has anyone seen a UK based review of his show? I have only seen it mentioned in Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The fact he can't move beyond reading and books displays a very limited mindset. There's no real breadth of knowledge or range of interests there. We get reading is an interest, but does he have anything else going on? And drinking and pubs are not an interest.

I don't listen to him as a habit, does he talk about anything else in detail, movies, etc? Suppose we can forget about sport. Even cooking would be a change up!

I never listened to him for any length of time when he was on RTE radio.

And not to nitpick, but his speaking style is hard to follow on radio. His vocal range is all over the place, going from deep voice to almost high pitched and back again within the same sentence. The speed of his speaking also varies. And he goes almost from whispering to shouting in some sentences.

This makes it very hard to follow what he's saying, even for an Irish person, so goodness knows how the Brits are doing.

If he'd listen to advice (doubtful if he would) he needs to keep his voice consistent for radio. There's a reason why the best broadcasters are said to have dulcet tones, its because they have an even voice that is relaxing and engaging. He doesn't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Been saying this a long time. He reads about 10 percent of what he claims. He has this ridiculous obsession with wanting people to view him as some bookworm, and nerd. Constantly on about it. Numpty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I listened in again for a while, still seems little enough interaction with London or English listeners. Some builder lad had heard about Dublin being a good place for stags I'd say and was looking for advice on where to go. Ryan warmed to his Dublin Tourism role and directs him to an art museum and a steak house. Builder lad sounded off a bit disappointed. Clash of culture I think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

Was going to comment on how he almost appears to be shouting at certain stages now. He never did that on RTE. I presume he's doing so to make his voice sound clearer but he's starting to sound like Vyvyan from the Young Ones. His voice is all over the place.

Yeh its difficult to follow, even for an Irish person. I know Gerry Ryan was a bit like that, although I don't think he was this bad. He wouldn't vary it so much within the same sentence. Some people have a voice for radio, either naturally or they've trained themselves for it. Gay Byrne and Wogan had good radio voices. Calm, same pace, occasionally raising of voice, but not all the time or constantly going up and down in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

It may be the influence of his great mentor, Chris Evans. I happen to catch a bit of his (Evans's) show the other morning and he still has a fairly high octane delivery for an auld fella.

I guess Tubbs thinks he better get himself somma that, if he wants to succeed. He has never had to be a "jock" really in his life (even on his 2FM breakfast stint) so he has no instinct for it. He's nearly an auld fella himself so it's unlikely he'll master it at this stage of his life.

Actually, the whole thing must be very traumatic on the fella.

It's alright going off to London for the weekend and having some fun there but for a Monkstown fella with the world at his feet having to start over again where he is a nobody, even in terms of the how he is meant to sound on-air - it has to be tough.

He is partly responsible, of course, but still. It can't be all bookshops and West End shows. He probably has Uncle Noel roaring at him to look happier in his insta posts.

An art museum for a stag do? Only Tubridy could come up with that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I heard two links today. Hadn't listened since his first show. First link was a voice note from someone in Galway who had great diction according to Ryan. The other was about what ge wears in bed. Also, I noticed when he gave out the WhtsApp number he said something like "you'll get used to it" which I assume is aimed at the Irish audience. Still reading the great to hear you back on the radio messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mountain

Just tuned in for a listen,

he’s talking about hot chocolate….

ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s deliberate. Again wanting desperately to be seen as quirky, odd, nerdy…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mountain

It’s like a parody show, rambling on about books now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Red Fred

It isn't that outrageous, art and hedonism do mix:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Listening on Q102 today. There are lots of audio issues: dead air, McDonalds advert being played over a song and the opening minute of another song then a quick switch to a new song

None of this is Tubs' fault of course but there did seem to be technology issues today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Had a listen for about 10 minutes earlier, he sounds very amateur and nervous, like it's his first time ever on radio, he had a lot of pauses in his sentences and a lot of "err""emm" and 'ands. 

Except again, he can never quite carry it off. For example it should be an art gallery. I've never heard of an art museum. Now you could forgive this, but he talks so fast, he doesn't actually think about what he's going to say and blurts it out wrong. And trips over his words because of the fast talking. He needs to slow down and think about what he's saying. His mouth and brain are not fully connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Chris Evans has had that high-energy Laddish style for years. Tubridy hasn't. The last word that anyone would use to describe Tubridy's style is "Laddish".

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Funny thing is an art museum is the last place tubs would go on a stag weekend

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Gay was a stickler for enunciation and he was right. It's not a matter of coming across as some posh British public school knob, it's simply about your voice being the tool with which you do your job and that tool should be honed to do the job properly.

I think he had a fairly low opinion of Tubs as a broadcaster and was probably perplexed that he should have risen to his own level in the organisation and gotten the top job and ludicrous money along with it. But Gay knew it was himself who bucked the trend in RTE. He and the DG of the day stood their ground against Tubridy's own grandfather's interference and wish to get Gay thrown off his own show. Nepotism and elevating mediocrity with the right connections is what RTE is all about.

RE: Tubs vs Chris Evans, would invite everyone to Youtube Evans interview James May on his radio show last week. Notice how engaged he is. How he actually read Jame's books and could speak comfortably from a position of a bit of background knowledge on a variety of topics. He does his homework, out of respect for the guest and the listeners. A real pro and it's no surprise he earns the big moolah. Tubs isn't fit to shine his shoes and it's laughable that he sits in his seat at 10 every morning.

Is the general consensus that it is going really well then?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭martco

apart from how carcrash of it all....there's one thing I've noticed that makes me wonder if this is just a very short term gig....

there's not a whisper (I've not seen anything anyway so far) about the new star in any of ze English newspapers or his show....not Tubridy, the celeb guests and what they wore last night on the town, nothing

usually (good or bad) there'd be something suchandso about the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Also - no mention of the Virgin gig in his profile page on his agent's website

Not us he needs to impress.

Even though his salary might be covered by Paddy Power and syndication, he still needs to bring in advertising revenue. Loss of UK listeners means loss of Virgin Ad revenue. Appealing to Irish listeners will only get him so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And there'll come a point too when he reaches the end of the contacts list on his phone, and there no more Russel Crowe's, Conan O'Brien's or Andrea Corr's etc to phone in a favour from to appear on the show... and then he'll really be on his own..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In fairness to Tubs, a stag was not mentioned as such - but Steve the builder had heard Dublin was a 'good place to go' and wanted recommendations etc. You could tell from his tone that he was a bit underwhelmed with Tubridy's cultural advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

What is it about this Irish listenership that he’s leaning towards? It makes no sense for virgin radio Uk in my view- why alienate what’s possibly your biggest cohort audience for 3 hours? It’s mad Ted, mad.

Advertisement