Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Miharo

Almost 4,000 persons were deported/removed from the state in 2011. Approximately 2,360 persons were deported/removed from the state in 2014. Considering that we had a much lower amount of asylum seekers and immigration in general back then also - what changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

You realise that we are in a massive free labour market of 440 million people right? So why don't we just tap into that pool for low paid unskilled labour, before opening the doors to all and sundry from the 3rd world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You suggest that we use NATO to bully a country into being a holding pen for asylum seekers to the EU. Seriously

Here you go: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356802433_Book_Review_iBorderless_Welfare_State_The_Consequences_of_Immigration_on_Public_Finances_Grenzeloze_verzorgingsstaat_De_gevolgen_van_immigratie_voor_de_overheidsfinancieni

Or the full text in Dutch if you want to run it through Google translate:  https://upload.gscdn.nl/uploads/09cf2e23d8_Grenzeloze_Verzorgingsstaat.pdf

I think it suits people to use the economy at times whenever it fits their argument but I agree not everything should be judged through pure monetary terms. A country should never be reduced to GDP or debt etc. It's people, it's culture, it's ameneties, quality of life etc.

But, WOW - €625,000 cost per Middle Eastern or North African asylum seeker is absolutely crazy!!! The government has stated that we are not going to put any limits on the number we will accept. Sounds economically unsustainable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There's nothing stopping any of those 440 million coming here to work if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So I take it that the 19 people in the back of the lorry that came into Ireland are genuine asylum seeking women men and children or families seeking asylum because they are afraid for their safety in the country they left. Is there any links or mention if it was any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Someone needs to light a flame under the ministers backside and get him moving. Stop all this effort to find built accommodation. Set up temporary tented camps, put the effort into processing claims asap - within a matter of days and then action what happens after that. Implement it rigorously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

And plenty of them do. And nobody has an issue with it. As they have to find their own accomodation and pay their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Well, we do. We use both the EU and non-EU pool. Our foreign-born employment rate is actually quite good in the EU context — only Portugal, Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic have higher figures. If you expand the sample to the OECD countries we still feature pretty highly (in the top 10) — better than traditionally sophisticated economies like the UK, Switzerland, Canada, Luxembourg, the USA and the Netherlands.

The idea that we just open doors to all and sundry from the third world is plain old hyperbole that is not grounded in reality.

I don't know how many times it has to be stated, but not putting a stated limit on something does not make it unlimited. This theme is always getting rolled out on this thread and it's literally one of the biggest red herrings. It's a blood-boilingly simplistic interpretation that is used to push this stupid narrative that Ireland has an entirely open borders open doors policy.

Putting a stated limit on the number would be an exceptionally f**king stupid thing to do and would achieve nothing for anyone — from the blue-haired activist ends of the left to the Twitter research professors of the right.

Why? Because then you are giving yourself a rod to be beaten with by pretty much all sides — right, left and from our international allies. What if you haven't hit your stated limit and other countries also facing pressure or other organisations say "well Ireland claimed it would take x thousand more". Then you are in a position of having to explain. On the converse, what if the stated limit is unreasonably small and pressure is exerted to up it? If you explain in detail your formula and criteria for what constitutes the stated limit, then people can use that to argue you should push the number up or down.

Putting a stated limit on migration effectively kills your ability to act pragmatically and to design policy with strategy. It's dumb and it ends up being a football for pretty much everyone and achieves absolutely feckin nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Puh-lease!!

Have you ever worked in construction or hospitality or done factory work? If they had to pay these foreign workers a living wage, many employers would not want them in the first place and that would be the end of it.

Do we need to effectively subsidise multiple cafés and restaurants etc. on every street corner with ultra-low-paid labour?

For one example, food delivery in the evening used to be a standard second job for many Irish people who were saving. Having Brazilian cyclists weaving through traffic almost getting themselves killed subtracts a few euro off the price of fast food. Great news if you are a glutton for whom cheap pizza is your Number 1 priority.

Since these Brazilian Deliveroo cyclists can't support themselves on this low wage, some moonlight as narcotics couriers. That is why they are getting into street-fights with drug gangs in the Docklands and Temple Bar areas.

There are genuine labour shortages in only a few areas. Nursing. Some construction roles. Most of the rest is just profiteering rubbish, like paying Bulgarian peasants a pittance to pick strawberries.

The 'cold, hard concrete reality of the modern world' is that lobbying for immigration, in a business context, must be seen for what it is: a negotiation. "Blah blah we have shortages we can never fill" = a negotiation gambit.

Whenever I see an ordinary joe, a leftist naif, or some other ordinary person who isn't in business themselves parroting this stuff I just think "You fool".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is exactly the point. We don't NEED all this cheap labour, despite Leo etc insisting that we do. He should be challenged every time he states this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

But, but, but is all porky pies then that having all this cheap labour will make us middle class peoples pensions huge? Or is the centre right blueshift's spoofers like the far right thugs?

Most people think we are past the point of when limits should have started being applied (with regards to asylum specifically). Considering there is absolutely nowhere to accommodate people I would tend to agree. But if people are genuinely fleeing war and persecution, I think there will have to be some some sort of tent city in a safer place and they wait in line until a place becomes available. We cant magic accomodation into existence as much as we might wish to and Dublin City just cannot accommodate thousands of people in tents. The 15000 a year that Rodders said we should expect, where are they going to go? It's also extremely dangerous for them to be sleeping on the streets of Dublin with the anti-immigrant sentiment that's been building.

On the long term cost side of it all I don't believe the government have done any kind of analysis such as the Dutch study linked above which really highlights the extraordinary costs associated. Luckily our economy is doing well right now but we still have a huge amount of social unrest around this issue. God help us if there is any kind of economic shock down the tracks, Ireland will be a really unpleasant place to live.

But the one thing that really really boils my blood is the complete lack of will to weed out false asylum claims and effect deportations. This is adding to the capacity issues. If people really think that all asylum claimants are genuine well then I just have no words, there is no point even conversing on the topic with such people. They're either the most gullible people ever or just not being truthful for some reason. Those economic migrants are taking beds for people who genuinely need it. The fact that only 6-7% of asylum claims are rejected after appeal just reinforces the feeling that Ireland is a soft touch regardless of what people like Leo or Nick Henderson of the Irish Refugee Council like to spin.

On the issue of deportations I posted above that Ireland used to deport/remove thousands of people a year around a decade ago. This stopped. So it was possible at one time despite arguments I see repeated that we just can't do it. What changed?

Post edited by Miharo on

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

Jeepers, I would hope there is. Isnt that the point of border control, visa requirments, etc ?

Setting a limit should be the first step. Who are you worried about pandering to, some NGO's, main stream media, George Soros Open Society?

We don't have international allies, we have partners and competitors. I wouldn't worry one bit about their criticism. Infact, if we set a low number limit, others in the EU would quickly follow suit - because they understand we are now in a race to the bottom insofar as dissuading AS. The government here however, are slow learners.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Based off the sunday independent poll ....

I don't think the majority of the country read the sunday indo or visit it's website..

Take it with a pinch of fresh air

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Honestly how many people read the Sunday Independent anymore. It's not exactly representative of a cross section of Irish society in 2024. Let's remember the sindo has promoted the multicultural dream for more than 2 decades now and refers to anyone who opposes it as far right or racist etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

Nobody is blaming the immigrants, they are just doing what they have to to take advantage of our soft as melted ice cream immigration system. They could work 80 hours a week in their home countries and not have the life they are being gifted here by our government.

The onus is on us as a nation to make it as undesirable as possible for them to want to come here.

It's either limited or it's not.

As things stand it's unlimited.

So we could be faced with hypothetically say 200000 single men arriving next year.

You can be sure they would get here if they thought there was quality accomodation available.

And that's the problem with this merry go round.

Keep finding them accomodation and they keep arriving.

We are ending up with hotels, houses, sports halls wedding venues etc. etc. being taken out of circulation.

Which means the ones that are still open to the public are gone very expensive.

This in turn kills the tourism industry which families have spent generations developing.

It also cuts off housing supply leading to hundreds of thousand of grown kids not moving out of home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

What is so grating to me is this actually has to be broken down for some people. Full is full. End of. We past the point of “full” a long time ago yet we still keep adding & adding infinitum.

Stuffing our island with unfortunate people has resulted in our tourism industry being obliterated already so what’s next ? Nursing homes for the elderly? Who cares. Sports facility centres for our kids ? Who cares . What about sporting and concert music venues while we’re at it ? Sure we can forgot that revenue stream too. Who cares.

Anyone who thinks the above is an exaggeration needs to be forced to explain where we are going to put these non-ending arriving people. They argue it’s for the humanitarian good but where is the dignity for the asylum seekers being forced to live on a cold floor or ground.

Nobody wins , everyone looses with this policy (except the short-sighted profiteering treasonous businesses) and all the while our political puppets tell us we are right wing fanatics etc.

Its so incredibly unbelievable at this point.

It really is a sick burgeoning 'industry', milking tax payers by taking advantage of their humanitarian nature.

All the well paid NGO's and charities, all funded by the government.

People getting €800 a month tax free to let out a bedsit to a Ukrainian.

Hotels that usually are quiet in the winter / midweek getting 100% occupancy all year.

Obscene amounts of money being made here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Hotels that usually are quiet in the winter / midweek getting 100% occupancy all year.”

…… and conveniently zero service staff wage bill. (Blatant profiteering)

By Mícheál Lehane

Political Correspondent

The Government is planning to soon acquire at least three large properties around the country which will be used as reception centres for those seeking shelter in Ireland.

The plans that are currently being drawn up could see the State either buying or leasing these centres

∆∆∆ This is nuts, adding more capacity to process even bigger numbers.

I don't fully understand your point here to be honest. I mean, immigration is not a new thing that has emerged from modern capitalism and corporatism — it has been going on for millennia. People go where there is opportunity — whether it be economic gain, freedom or safety — and commercial operators will use (and yes, often exploit) these resources for competitive advantage. This has been the way long before the first Brazilian migrant to Ireland donned a Deliveroo bag.

Your post here seems to be a complaint as to the way the world is — but doesn't actually offer a view of the viable alternative world. Sure, it would be great if we lived in a world where nobody felt the need to go off anywhere and everyone hung around home and got paid fair wages and all countries kept their best and brightest or their less skilled within their own little corner and we all just made the best of that and companies couldn't exploit foreign labour.

The chances of this happening? Zero.

We shouldn't forget also that immigration isn't all about just serving the needs of the host countries and its businesses. It's also something which acts as a release valve for struggling economies that allows people to find opportunity elsewhere which actually relieves the burdens on that economy. That's not to ignore the downside of brain drain, but there is still an upside.

I mean — you can look at me and say "you fool" but what you're saying here is basically a complaint ... an aspirational view that doesn't actually offer a solution to how you change the way the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Exactly. This is a very obvious one, but somehow massively overlooked by people.

I saw an example of it firsthand last year when we arrived at our local AIB branch for a mortgage appointment, and there was an African couple with five young kids in the lobby saying they were looking for a house. The conversation went on a few more minutes while we were waiting, and the staff member with them was clearly perplexed, after finally grasping through the language barrier - that neither were employed, didn't have any sort of savings accounts set up and hadn't a single cent of a deposit to offer.

It's only one incidence I just happened to see and I've no idea if they were newly arrived asylum seekers. But I don't know how this couple got the notion of expecting a house so easily in the ruthless market that Ireland is, barely even speaking English to begin with. Just being approved for a mortgage is a major brick wall before even seriously searching for a house.

Post edited by Garzard on

Government U-Turn in Carlow. Family's now instead of single male opportunists.

Precedent has now been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Hope everyone who advocated for welcome everyone approach are now happy that 500 refugees are now living in tents In freezing conditions .Rte1 doing a good job on interviewing them this evening. Be a better idea to interview the idiots who are intent on still taking more in. Totally stupid what is going on in this country. One fella 12 years in DP and now in a tent. Really well thought out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Listening to it, it is evident that the asylum system in the country has pretty much collapsed.

This is a f***up on a major scale. But let's just go ahead and blame the communities that are having this f***up foisted upon them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement