Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow lacking in minerals

Options
  • 21-04-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

We have 2 cows that are lacking. They are dosed fine but go back an awful lot after calving. They are alway going back in the slatted shed this year. Last year the calf was poorly after debudding and also had a skin condition.

They are due to calve in a couple of months. Just wondering the best treatment that I could give them to rule out mineral deficiency of some sort?
    Mineral supplement of some sort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭endainoz

We have 2 cows that are lacking. They are dosed fine but go back an awful lot after calving. They are alway going back in the slatted shed this year. Last year the calf was poorly after debudding and also had a skin condition.

They are due to calve in a couple of months. Just wondering the best treatment that I could give them to rule out mineral deficiency of some sort?
    Mineral supplement of some sort?

Plenty of pre calfer minerals out there to give a go, they say to start around six weeks before calfing. Agritech do a good one I used to use. Changed over to giving seaweed meal after going organic. The cattle are mad for the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks.
    Just came across gain pre Calver gold.
    So might spread that across the silage through feed barrier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Or give them a shot of multimin injection

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Would I need to get the injection through a vet? Or agri supply store have it?

Cows won't be in house for too much longer so not sure how long I will have the opportunity to spread the minerals along silage. Maybe an injection would be a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Start them on a precalver nut now. That will give them the minerals they need but also get the gut bacteria used to concentrates which will allow you to introduce concentrates quicker after calving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Cows won't be in house for too much longer so not sure how long I will have the opportunity to spread the minerals along silage. Maybe an injection would be a better idea.

https://www.hpra.ie/img/uploaded/swedocuments/Licence_VPA10431-001-001_16062020153122.pdf

A prescription only product. Ask the Vet for advise on dosage.

We had a very in-calf heifer who lost an alarming amount of weight last Summer, the Vet recommended double the listed dose for her, SC injection. She improved, calved down in March, but is still thin for a large frame animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

multi vitamin injections don't didn't contain any trace elements, I believe there may be a new 1 on the market which does but so far I havent come across them

If they were my cows I would get a drench something like this

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/breeding-cow

or

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/growvite-forte

you could repeat a little earlier than recommended for the first couple of turns

keep the container well sealed and away from light and they will last indefinately

Personally prefer the Animax All Sure bolus, as recommended by our Vet, at the pre-breeding season. Lasts 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭50HX

Virbac multi min can be got without prescription, I got it without prescription

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Any vetinary opinion on Multimin injection here. Is it just good for an immediate boost if an animal is lacking in minerals? I'd imagine it lacks the sustained release of a bolus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Any vetinary opinion on Multimin injection here. Is it just good for an immediate boost if an animal is lacking in minerals? I'd imagine it lacks the sustained release of a bolus.

How sure can u be of a sustained release of a bolus either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

How sure can u be of a sustained release of a bolus either.

I wouldn't take everything written on the box as gospel anyway but have found fertility improved when I started using them here. Don't have much faith in buckets even though I'd use a fair few over the winter. Just find it kind of hard to believe to a 10cc shot won't be absorbed fairly quickly and that it will cover all their mineral requirements for any length of time. Would be a lot handier than bolousing them if it did in fairness. I'd normally use the drenches on calves from mid summer on once a month up to sale and it seems to put a bit of a bloom on them but I don't think there is any long lasting effect with them either. Same as giving the cobalt to lambs you'd want to giving it fairly regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anyone try the little blocks you hang in the drinking troughs? i see a few of them on online shops but i don't know if they're any good and how expensive they are there's no prices listed for the ones i was looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭limo_100

Anyone used that Multimin injection and how do you find it? Was told 1shot every 6months is all they need but hard to believe it would have the same impact long-term as a bolus.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I think multimin is a super product. Not sure on it lasting 6 months though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I use it a fair bit on all animals. I was using all site boluses but my vet said change to that.

easier to administer and I find the cows were in great form.

not sure about the six months but a give it about twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I give it to all calves once their born & then during the summer again and at weaning too. Find it great & calves thrive well. It's dear though

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Thanks would you use this and also boluses? or just twice a year?

• Advertisement

Thats great so you have cut out the boluses altogether - the injection is expensive but its cheaper that boluses for sure. Would you use pre calver minerals then also? and buckets or just the injection?

Do you just give 2 cc at birth is it? into the neck? when you have the bottle open does the injection go off as I remember the copper used to set like a rock after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I don’t use- vet said they were a waste of time.

Never seen it go off but id use the bottle over roughly 6mths. I give at birth/tagging 2cc under the skin then 1mL per 50kg when i do again during the summer. Thats usually the bottle nearly gone at that stage. I might give a heifer or cow a drop if needed too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Coseicure bolus would be my pick

This this goes under the skin? I injected a cow the other day and I stuck it into the muscle - I couldn't find the application site on the leaflet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Subcutaneous (under the skin) only.

My vet recommends these over any of the other bolus as he tested them on his own stock which stayed longer in the bloods vs other brands. I used to use them but i found the cows were bringing them up after a couple of weeks which is costly when you have a small herd. 2 winters ago i found 11 of the 44 dosed so stopped then and reverted back to Calsea pre-calver blocks. At least i see all the cows licking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

I use Coseicure boluses too and am happy with them. There’s something amiss if the cows are regurgitating them. Were the cows throwing up the cud too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement