Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

GFS finishes up with a Scandi High again which it has been flirting with on and off for the past few days. A rather watered down version in the latest op but I think there was some support for such an eventuality on a recent EPS.

Back to the short to medium term and the GEFS mean is decent. A cold spell from Sunday is is now extremely likely. My self set target of Wednesday's 12z stands in relation to having some certainty about getting the cold in. After that we can perhaps begin discussing wintry ("disruptive") potential.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looking pretty positive at this stage. Just not in the range to iron our some of the finer details. I think a cold snap is almost nailed - it's the extent and severity we are looking at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

I will lose all interest if its a northerly

No disrespect to Ulster and North connaught or inland parts if there's a front down south or Wales

We've yet to see the details and won't until as late as Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

Would like it to be more than a snap…

‘Spell’ hopefully if those heights maintain over Greenland.

Clare (410ft asl)

The op runs invariably are stretching out the cold spells but the ens are not supporting them. Would say a gradual turn to milder weather is very likely from the end of next week based on all ensembles. NAO and AO due to return to positive.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

To be honest I feel exactly the same about a north easterly. The thing is though if we do manage to get a decent high into Greenland , winds may swing around to the north-east eventually. Also later in the month there are signs of a scandi high. Given the long range outlook i think you would be very unlucky over the next few weeks not to see some snow.

Clare (410ft asl)

The state of play for 1am on Tuesday. All quite similar.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

Clare (410ft asl)

UK Met not backing away from a continuation of a blocking pattern and cold weather in their 12.30PM long range update, irrespective of what we are seeing in ensembles. They didn't update the paragraph about next week. i presume they feel it's the same outlook as was provided yesterday.

Through this period, the greatest likelihood is that high pressure will remain the more dominant influence on the weather, most likely centred somewhere to the northwest of the UK, with winds from the north or north-east perhaps more frequent than usual, with generally reduced amounts of precipitation. There is an increased chance, compared to normal of cold conditions along with the associated impacts from low temperatures. Even within a predominantly more settled pattern there is a still a chance that frontal systems could move in from the west or southwest at times, which while they would likely bring an interlude of slightly milder, more unsettled weather, for a time, this would also introduce a risk of snow and ice where it meets the colder air in place across the UK.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/long-range-forecast

Separately, the GEFS finally is showing some 850s at -10c or less in greater numbers which bodes very well for deeper cold next week. I am always suspect of the scale of any impending cold spell that doesn't feature them.

A big uptick in colder members for next week overall with the 06z top and 00z bottom

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Charts look better overall this morning although the ECM could do with some improvement. I don't mind the cold been delayed a day or 2 if we get a colder more unstable cold spell in the end. The Atlantic mixing of fronts from the SW needs to go tho.

It will be interesting to see the UKMO update today. I don't think a return to milder weather is certain at this stage. Those ensembles could easily flip to extending the cold, I am not saying they will. In any case even if they are right a return to milder weather is likely to be brief.

The UKMO long range remains bullish about colder weather overall. Of course that could change for the worst, but hopefully not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The GFS 6z is definitively the best GFS ensemble I've seen so far this month with more runs going to -10C or colder. For me a cold spell isn't a real cold spell unless we have the -10C uppers and lower brought onto the table.

Looks encouraging enough for a week long cold spell although the operational is a bit of an outlier from the 22nd onwards with all the other members turning things milder into the final week of January. Another dry week to come. This week has been a good deal milder than what I was expecting, no frost here at all this week since last weekend but the frosts begin to come back again from this weekend. turning progressively colder next week and in terms of precipitation everything is up in the air for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

S

Certainly all roughly on the same page Wolfe. Would be fantasic if a Scandi High developed there after.

Great informative posts from all. Exciting week of charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭pureza

But some is not enough,I want a roads blocked,schools shut white out for a week with dinner plate flakes

I'd rather not be watching it on Wales today on BBC one Wales as the Irish sea showers Bury Llandudno (pronounced clan did no) in 15ft drifts of top quality dry lake effect snow

That would be a No clan did as far as I'm concerned

I do know exactly what you mean and of course I'll be delighted for ye up there

Has anyone read Tamaras post just on Netweather forum? She seems excited so that says alot : )

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Careful you'll be accused of wishing hardship on others with that. This stick is never used against people who wish for heatwaves in the summer though.

The few words I can understand. If she is excited it's telling as she is not a snow lover by any means. I suppose its the overall synoptics that excite her

Clare (410ft asl)

Just waiting for Google translate (science to English) but I get the jist. We will have winter conditions for the foreseeable and her reading of things is similar to the UKMO long range. I don't know her track record but she can certainly talk the talk.

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/99760-model-output-discussion-colder-but-how-cold-and-for-how-long/?do=findComment&comment=5005089

www.x.com/wolfeeire

She certainly knows her stuff and gets it right alot of the time, but as we all know getting it right on the broader scale doesn't mean it always works out as we want at the micro level for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What the difference between the op runs and the ens ones? Is one a combo of the other(s) or is one more important?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

A very cold mean on the 06ecm which runs to 144hrs. I promised myself until the 12z today I wouldn't say it, but I think a colder spell is all but locked in now

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'll be the same if it's an easterly as we down here in the northwest won't get snow so feeling is mutual

Clare (410ft asl)

February 2024 courtesy of the Glosea. A Greenland block and the Jetstream likely well to our south. At this stage, I feel like I have been looking at fancy charts for a decade and still haven't witnessed an actual cold spell.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

It’s kind of ironic because depending on your locality, the charts will twist and turn in your favour and then away from your favour, for example the original northerly would give people in the NW good showers, but I’ll be high and dry here in SCD on the east coast, so I’m banking on a NE/E to deliver snow, yet when I bank on that, your locality will be high and dry, it’s a real head scratcher on who gets something and who doesn’t.

Whats even more interesting about this spell is that it’s genuinely anyone’s game, typically the east coast would be the highest chance but looking at the Synoptics, you and I have a very equal 50/50 chance on seeing snow, and not seeing snow.

too far away at this stage to worry about that though, for all we know PPN could be more intense or weaker than forecasted, or a polar low could develop (lol that’s a lottery winner right there) or some small kink in the isobars to give a disturbance of precipitation

Truly a fascinating time for model watching ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

The operational run is the highest resolution run of the model, with what is thought to be the most accurate starting condition data.

But the starting condition data always includes some assumptions or room for error. So they will run the model multiple times, at lower resolution, each one with slightly different starting conditions. You then get an ensemble suite. The more tightly grouped the output, the less volatile the forecast to small changes in starting conditions, and the more confidence in accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What sort of temperatures are we looking at, -10 on weather stations?

Model output discussion. Probably 100 pages back now with all the dung on there... dont think somehow id enjoy going for a pint with her 😉

She likes to convey her grasp of the English language and is giving herself a generous pat on the back for her predictions to date. She certainly does know her stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Robwindstorm

It's the UK met office 5 day forecast I'll be watching with interest as the Time frame shortens. They have been spot on with little details of cloud cover etc with their graphics. Yesterday they had today's little showers of rain in the forecast. Met eireann appear to hold back often now casting these details even when severe weather is imminent. That's my opinion anyway.

Great posting by the way Wolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Ahh

i will stick with Syan, he too knows his stuff, but so much easier to read and follow for numpties like me.

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

Thanks @Robwindstorm

Icon 12z

In short, it shows very cold conditions from Sunday eve through to the end of the run (180hrs). That warm sector that showed up overnight is still there so less cold for 12-18 hours Monday into Monday night. No frontal battleground scenario but lots of kinks in those isobars suggesting plenty of snow showers (850s would support snow down to sea level).

www.x.com/wolfeeire

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement