Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Flannery is a good example of how a player can get above what they would normally would if they've a strong negotiating position. Ulster were fairly screwed for an outhalf as they approached this season. Doak isn't seen as an outhalf. Madigan was being moved on. Flannery, who was only on a one year deal, appeared to be totally surplus and played barely over 100 minutes of rugby last season and less than 300 minutes in his career at the age of 24.

Out of the blue, Ulster announce a 3 year deal for Flannery.....a guy who some thought would potentially go back to the AIL and give up on pro rugby.

That's where Munster are now, to my mind. Someone is going to get a decent deal there above what they may have expected previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Rumours are Harry Byrne to Munster.

Frawley to Ulster and Sam prendergast to join the brother in Connacht. :)

Without having kicked a ball in anger Charlie Tecotor could be number two behind Ross next year.

I'd imagine either Frawley or Harry will move on but I don't know if one or both are even out of contract this season.

Frawley has plenty of game time this year and may be in the first choice 23 as a utility back.. but it must be frustrating to sit on the bench for 80 minutes in the last 2 Heineken Cup finals in a row for a team the lost and not brought on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Carberry must be going abroad for the cash. Either that or he doesn't fancy himself getting g past Crowley. I can't see that happen either.

Frawley may also be thinking that he can win the 23 shirt. Henshaw isn't playing g great. I do think he's out the door. I would say to Ulster.

If Leinster lost HB and Frawley in one year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster want a ten (although Flannery is starting to improve). Fullback is covered by Addison, Lowry, McIlroy, Moore and Stockdale if pushed. Inside centre is covered by McCloskey, Moore, and Marshall (even Curtis). I'm not saying that Ciaran wouldn't be a welcome addition, and would be better than a number of those players, but his versatility isn't a particular attraction up here. A really good ten would be a much better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

2 gingers on the pitch at once, potentially three with Kitschoff? That's too much

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Definitely for the cash/change of scenery. It's supposedly to Bordeaux so if he can't get last Crowley, he certainly ain't getting past Jalibert.

It’s going to be Frawley - he’s basically a much better and more athletic Rory Scannell. Will suit them just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Looks to be a few promotional tickets up on Ticketmaster at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I for one would jump on harry byrne at this low point in his value. I really like him. He gets hurt a tad too much maybe but it is rugby, guys get hurt.

I don’t really see the match between frawley and munster. Tector doesn’t really fit there either.

Is Conor Fitzgerald retired? They just need someone late twenties who is solid and cheap by 10 standards. Maybe not cheap but Hanrahan would have fit.

Why would Frawley want that though?

I think if he left the natural match for him is connacht. Neither Carty or Hanrahan are unbeatable, and that is a very dynamic back line. Depending on how Forde develops as well there is a decent chance there are two other ireland players in the backs too.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Yep, Frawley would absolutely be considered a starter at Connacht. That's not to say that Carty wouldn't be too, but it wouldn't hurt to have real competition at 10.

JJ is a fine player, but goal kicking aside, he's not consistent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I know Frawley seems to be dead set on being a 10 but his versatility in the future is going to so important to Leinster. If Leinster persist with a 6-2 split, he is pretty much guaranteeing himself a spot in the 23 with his ability to play fly half, centre and full back. He could go to Connacht or Ulster and maybe grab the 10 shirt but why not stay at Leinster and be an important part of the team and get lots of game time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,790 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

At ages 24 and 25 he was the ultility back in the bench in the ERC final..... And twice didn't get off it. Not a good sign of confidence from his coaches.

He's at the age now to sh!t or get off the pot.

I think a move might be the best thing for him

Just from a raw pay pov, he is probably capping himself there. You aren’t getting a central deal as a utility guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I know the system doesn't work like this but I wonder what it would take for Leinster to get Jack Aungier back from Connacht? I'd send Rhys Ruddock, Ed Byrne and Brian Deeny in the other direction in order to get a deal done. I kind of want Leinster to hold onto 2 of the 3 NIQ designations for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think people overestimate the negativity of being able to play multiple positions. He wouldn't be the 'utility guy' if he was simply a better player. I don't think being only able to play one position would have helped in his career so far. Plenty of players have been 'utility guys' until they were good enough to be a starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Crowley is a lad from Munster, has already been assigned the "new ROG" tag. Any player moving to Munster must be aware no matter how bad Crowley plays the Munster fans will want him starting.

The only exception to this is if Munster can produce another Munster 10.

Players like Carbery/Frawley/H Byrne etc will never be able to get ahead of Crowley in terms of that home grown player.

Also Carbery was a high profile and expensive player. I doubt Munster wanted to offer him the same wages he was on based on him been the now reserve 10.

IMO it's the best move for Joey to move from Munster for his own career, it hasn't worked out for him and a few seasons overseas will work. He didn't really have an option in Ireland, Leinster have moved on. He already said no to Ulster and Connacht have Carty/JJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Frawley is also going to be potentially competing with Osbourne for the utility back position, and I think he'll lose out in that one. Osbourne can play across the entire backline from 11-15 at a high standard.

• Advertisement

Rowntree and Prendergast are professionals with aspirations. They would never play crowley over a better player.

Carbery had endless opportunities at munster and for ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

A lot of this is rubbish tbh; there's plenty of examples of non-Munster players who have come in and been hugely welcomed by the fanbase.

Ian Keatley definitely wouldn't be one of them though.

And the Ian Keatley boo-ing thing is overblown. (I was in the stadium that day, it was a small pocket of fans).

Keatley himself speaks very fondly of his time at Munster, and still lives in Limerick as far as I'm aware.

The reality is, loads of non-Munster players have played for Munster and received loads of backing from the fans.

Yeah, that's the case with all of the provinces. Munster are still the sole example though I can think of of an Irish team booing one of their own players. There has absolutely 100% been a tendency from some of the more rabid online based fans to turn on imports, especially Leinster imports, a bit more quickly than other players too.

I know it wasn't a large segment of fans who booed Keatley, but calling it overblown isn't accurate.

There are all quotes from Keatley about how it affected him:

The worst thing was talking to mom on the phone a day or two later, she broke down crying. I said, 'Look mom, it's fine, these things happen, I'll bounce back'.

It's so personal. People will tell you it's alright; deep down as a player you know yourself it's not. It's especially tough when you are trying your hardest. I got tweets saying, 'Is Keatley not practising his place-kicking', obviously I couldn't work harder in training but people don't see the hours, weeks, months and years that you put in. They just see you having bad moments in a game and judge you on that.

I wasn't cracking jokes anymore; I wasn't listening to music, I love listening to music. In the car, on the way in to training I'd have my radio off, I was constantly thinking. Weird things go through your head; I wondered, 'Why am I putting myself through this?'.

Even if we grant you all of this, if it's the sole example you can think of then by definition it's the exception that proves the rule.

It's rubbish to suggest Munster fans don't welcome non-Munster players, and and want poorer performing home-based players ahead of them.

• Administrators Posts: 54,069 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO Frawley would not get ahead of Burns at Ulster.

If he can't get ahead of Harry Byrne at Leinster it's hard to see him having much of a future at 10.

The entire frawley thing is based on farrell liking him. Otherwise, he’s just a utility back and one on borrowed time probably with osborne there.

It's the sole example of booing, but Carbery has come in for some fairly harsh words from Munster fans in recent times too.

A whole host of fans who lauded RG Snyman for years were extremely quick to turn on him and abuse him too.

I'm not going so far as to suggest Munster fans don't welcome non-Munster players, and obviously there's a whole glut of the fanbase only too happy to keep cherrypicking players from Leinster et al where possible, but I don't think the original point was outrageous that if, for example, Harry Byrne, moved to Munster this summer and started outplaying and getting selected ahead of Jack Crowley next season, that that would be brilliantly received by sections of the Munster fanbase.

He'd really quickly IMO become a scapegoat for any problems that happen down there.

• Advertisement

Advertisement