Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Jaysus. That's like Joey's letter to the the adoption company for Chandler and Monica. Sounds like she swallowed a thesaurus 😲

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still a bit to go before we are fully locked in with finer details. At the moment this is looking like a potentially dry northerly which worries me and if that's what we end up with then onto the next cold spell unless we can get disturbances and polar lows involved. Sadly northerlies are useless for most of Ireland and the majority of the population wouldn't see a single snow flake while parts of Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and parts of eastern coastal England gets absolutely hammered. If it's a northerly we end up with fingers crossed and starting praying for polar lows and very kinky isobars but we rarely ever get those from a northerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Fingers crossed its an easterly and then a northerly then as then everyone will be happy 😊 models are a real head fu*k lately but at least we all know it's gonna be a cold snap but how cold and how much precipitation comes is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The UKMO fax charts if correct would produce a good northerly. Also features can pop up if the air pressure is not too high. It's far too early to determine if there will be snow and what amounts. Let's focus on getting the cold in first, which almost looks like a done deal at this stage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That's what most of us are hoping a true northerly with deep levels of instability and high pressure well away out in the Atlantic ocean, if we were to get one of those for a couple of days then the anywhere in the country could get snow at some point.

But yeah we're nowhere near close to seeing precipitation levels at the moment, this probably won't become an issue to worry about until about Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone care to guess what type of daytime temperatures we might be looking at next week, under clear skies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

And overnight temps if anybody wants to to guess at it.

difficult to say right now because the level of cold we could get varies alot. Just last week this week was looking like very cold and frosty nights and it didn't happen with most of the country frost free since Sunday. Between Friday and Monday it looks as if we'll go back to frosty conditions by night with temperatures between 0 and -3C by night.

If places get lying snow next week those places would get much colder night time temperatures than places without lying snow. By the weekend we should have a much better idea of both temperatures and precipitation forecasts for next week.

Another potential issue which hasn't been resolved about next week is we could end up with modification from the Atlantic meaning air not as cold as we would like so that remains to be seen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just on this week,we have had frost every night since last Friday night here in my area in tipp. Frost hasn't left sheltered areas during the day and plenty of ice staying in sheltered areas. Highest temp since last Friday has been today at 4.2c. Nothing too mild about this cold snap in my area anyway. Sorry for going off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

What I don't like is that all models now have taken steps towards the GFS in terms of the less 'clean" northerly flow. At this stage all models show the cold airflow from the north just about reaching us Monday the 15th, before the upper flow turns westerly and we end up with a cool airmass but not cold after 24 hours.

After this, it is signalled that the low approaching from the SW could slide east and drag the really cold air back in, but this is all the way out at day 8/9 again.

The GFS was out on its own with the complications in getting the arctic airmass south due to to the PV lobe over scandi extending towards Iceland and southern GL. But at the moment it looks it has been correct with this theme for some days, despite all the other models going against it.

• Advertisement

Just for fun.

Current GFS 12z is fairly poor again and brings in just way too much mild from the Atlantic which would result in a wet snow to rain event for the most part with some hill snow, other models show proper cold so we are nowhere near resolved yet and the true cold is definitely not locked in at this stage, we could be a few more days dealing with the ifs, buts and maybes. This is why I would love a proper long fetch easterly or north-easterly with no fear of Atlantic modification. The atlantic modification could easily change what looks like a very promising cold spell into a lame duck and this needs to be watched.

GFS 12z brings in 2 days of low level cold and then the Atlantic whisks it away with a conveyer belt setting up, not the sort of run I want to see as we are getting closer to a reliable time frame.

Before getting overly worried about this operational run we will have to look at the ensembles and see how this compared to all the other members.

KMA now also going more towards the GFS with low pressure brining mild Atlantic air back in on the 18th, not a good sign at all.

Thankfully the GEM has other ideas, but the worry is that given the GFS was right about the upcoming period and other models essentially moved towards it, then it could well be right here.

Meanwhile Aperge has this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The gfs has been flipping back and forth the last few days. Hard to believe anything it's posting at the moment.

One thing it seems consistent about from the last couple of runs is possible height rises to the north east in deep fi. I don't have the stamina for another chase if this one goes belly up with a rain to snow event, but still there is lots to be positive about like you say .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Would not say the GFS was right. It was throwing out mild charts for a period there up to and including the weekend. Some of its output verges on the downright batty. I think its more of a case if it and the UKMO/ECM converging. ECM by far the more consistent of the lot bar one wobble on Saturday morning last. Each model has their own failings at times.

It has been trending cold for next week for the bones 10 days and nothing much has changed other than we are heading into the reliable period and the cold is holding. It looks like we have a decent and potentially disruptive cold snap/spell on our doorstep. There is a risk of slider snowfall events or the lows may stay south of us leaving us in what looks like, at times, a rather unstable airflow. Such a setup has not been seen in January for at least a decade. And I don't remember the last time the UK Met Office was so bullish about extended cold in mid winter.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Today was very frosty in west Galway and it hasn't thawed much.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its a complte head F**K,

it would drive you out of your mind.

Yes it was, but other models have moved towards it somewhat over the last day or so with their output. I agree with you that we are still in with a good shout for some snow events at some stage next week. What remains to be decided is the boundary layer for snow and how long the cold lasts. Some parts of the country will hopefully see a significant snowfall .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

'very kinky isobars', steady on mate! 🥵😂

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

I have no doubt that the risk exists but it will probably be a nowcast for snowfall, as it usually is @nacho libre.

I have only started to really enjoy weather watching in the last year or two when I decided to ditch getting drawn on a particular set/op run. The GFS in particular is a disaster for jumping to different conclusions run to run. Ensembles are the way to go. For what it's worth, in the 15 years or more I am looking at them I really don't think they have advanced a huge degree with medium to long term output. It's the 1-5 day range where they have improved greatly. That's why we should really start nailing down the finer details from here on in. I think the general trend is set.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

What is these trends that posters keep mentioning to keep an eye on

10 days - blizzards, 2ft of drifting snow

8 days - snow showers

6 days - risk of ice on untreated surfaces

4 days - sleet

2 days - rain

Today - next chase pleas

Robbed that from NW made me chuckle..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement