Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

They probably have evidence that hasn't been revealed. There is an unidentified DNA sample, at least one suspect and there must be fingerprints (even if accounted for). The Gardai themselves have indicated last month they have made significant progress. So not a waste..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

The cold case review team haven't even contacted Bailey yet, even though he has publically said he is willing to help in any way he can.

Does that come across as they have no interest in him anymore?

Surely, they would have tested the waters by now if they had anything on him? (As in, get him to try and account for some additional information they are looking at?)

My own gut feeling is, that they have realised he was nothing more than a media whore, basking in the limelight of nationwide public attention.

I'm pretty certain he's innocent. He's an oddball and not a good person but I don't think he did it.

He's appeared on numerous documentaries and podcasts. I just can't see a guilty person doing that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm reminded of Joe O'Reilly's LLS interview and another murder down South where the key suspect was more than happy to be interview by the media.

That said, I currently don't think it was Bailey.

• Advertisement

Good point. Ian Huntley also did media but to a lesser extent. Also that guy in America who killed his wife and two small daughters. Can't remember his name. He put them in an oil tank. He did lots of media. Some people are just wired different.

I'm just thinking of myself, if I murdered someone, I wouldn't do any media as I'd be too nervous. But I'm not a psychopath or a narcissist.

The sheer amount of media that Ian Bailey has done is staggering though. He even wrote numerous articles.

The only real suspicion is the scratches. Other than that I've no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Maybe they are just building a case against him and will get around to him when they are confident they have enough.

The first time they talk to him might be to say "you have the right to remain silent...."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd say they might still have a smidgen of suspicion about the self confessed main suspect who more than once admitted he committed the murder, and, was forced to change his alibi of spending the night of the murder in bed with his now estranged long term partner.

It's interesting to note that the main suspect is cacking his trousers that he has not yet been contacted by the Cold Case Review Team.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

It must be over 20 years since a file was sent to the DPP with regard to this murder charge.

You'd have to imagine that whoever it is now that is the Director of Public Prosecutions is looking forward to reviewing the new evidence as well as the old evidence as much as any other concerned citizen.

They don't live in a bubble.

In response to a questionnaire dated 31st December 1996 Bailey responds that he never met Sophie, but saw her once 18 months previously.

Ehhh, yeah, sound job Ian.

Makes sense.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In response to a questionnaire dated 31st December 1996 Bailey responds that he never met Sophie, but saw her once 18 months previously.

Ehhh, yeah, sound job Ian.

Makes sense.

So what? Think about what you're saying and ask yourself how it can be used to further the murder investigation. What you're saying means absolutely nothing to the murder inquiry simply because it is not evidence of anything. Even if Bailey were to contradict his previous statements, it would not be sufficient enough to bring him to trial (unless he admitted to the murder and could prove his claim)

You're fantasizing about cross examing a poster on a discussion forum, get a grip.

"Unless he admitted to the murder and could prove his claim"

Sounds legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭chooseusername

A confession alone would not be enough to convict. It would have to be corroborated with evidence of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Evergreen_7

Really? It’s beyond “typical” for a murderer to court the press and ingratiate themselves in the story because they want the notoriety. There’s too many examples to list.

The sheer amount is unprecedented.

He's on the West Cork podcast, the Jim Sheridan doc, the netflix doc, the rte one.

He wrote numerous articles.

Maybe it's just complete narcissism but it takes huge balls. So easy to let a detail slip that you're not supposed to know.

Whatever hopes the review team are pinning their hopes on, if it concerns Bailey, it will be purely circumstantial.

No matter how many people have a brain fart after nearly 30yrs and remember something else of importance...

Going back a couple of posts.. And I could be wrong about this? But if they arrest Bailey again for a third time, they have to charge him?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, it will need to to something solid....something compelling to put Bailey back in the frame now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

They don't have any evidence and don't seem to have a clue what happened to her unfortunately.

It's quite possible that the whole thing was a botched break in gone wrong.

A couple of scrotes casing some 'empty' holiday homes, possibly looking to strip the property of copper and other valuable metals....

Sophie seen the strangers down by the gate, went down to investigate..

It's odds on, none of the above occurred.. But the fact remains, there was not one iota of evidence connecting a local person to the crime scene.

The dna splash on the boot could be anything... They have had it for nearly 30yrs, and still not identified it. Or if they have identified it, it doesn't match anybody on the data base - back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Except there has been no similar crime since and also they could have just ran away. Not like they would need to use a concrete block. We can definitely rule out that theory.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

i dont we can definitely rule anything in or out....thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Maybe she challenged them and they took offence.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

Jokes eh? More that she rejected her killer and he brutally murdered her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I doubt they were looking for copper or other precious metals as the price of copper was not very strong in 1996 compared to the last decade.

But there was certainly roving robbers that burgled rural houses looking for valuables and cash.

It plausible that they targeted Sophie's house and she did confront them at the gate and it got out of hand.

But there would also have to have been a pattern of these robberies of unoccupied houses in the local and wider area at the time, especially leading up to Sophie's death.

Theses things don't just happen randomly, the robbers would target a number of locations at a time.

The problem is however that seeing as these are mainly second houses it could take months for the robbery to be discovered and reported.

We don't know if other houses locally were targets of burglaries, the Gardai have never said anything one way or another about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 irishspiderplant

I don’t think it was a burglary gone wrong because that wouldn’t explain the personal, emotional nature of the attack. Whoever it was went out of their way to destroy her. It was someone she knew. (I feel that this also rules out the hitman theory.)

The theory that she knew her attacker does carry some weight..

I'm open to correction on this, but as far as I can gather, she was assaulted with a rock first, and finished off with the concrete block?

So.. This would lead me to deduce that the rock was in the vicinity of the initial attack, maybe used to keep the gate open?

If the attacker was known to Sophie, then she could identify him to the Guards, this puts pressure on the killer.

But then again, how would a random killer know that the top course of building blocks of the well were loose?? It's a fair walk from the gate to the well to find a suitable murder weapon - especially as time was now of the essence?

Just to clarify.. the killer in a mad panic would either go into the field besides the gate were there was building materials in place (and in plain sight), or go up to the house for a hatchet, knife, or other such yokes..

Can't figure why the assailant would hop trot up to the well... That's a mystery in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cant remember where read it, but there were reports of holiday homes in the area being broken into and drinks cabinets raided.

* not saying it was a robbery

Found one source for the claim

"One source close to the investigation recalled that, at the time, alcohol was often stolen from the drinks cabinets of empty holiday homes."

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/the-complex-and-secret-private-life-of-fragile-sophie/26805384.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ms Robini

“The motivation for the acquisition of this house in Ireland was linked with her writing. She was someone who was tough but fragile at the same time. She sought to isolate herself from the world of the mundane because of [the] personality of her husband”… an extract from that article… If she hadn’t been tough, maybe she would have declined to open the door. If she had realised how petite and how physically fragile she was compared with the person who murdered her… but she was a strong woman, she wasn’t afraid. It’s all so wrong that we haven’t brought her killer to justice after all these years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Perhaps that indicates more than one killer? One chasing and hitting her with the rock the other using the block. She may have had a poker/axe too.

Advertisement