Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin is the ‘second-slowest city centre in the world’ for drivers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The main reason for buses being slow is that they get stuck behind all the single occupancy cars in traffic and all the vans and trucks blocking bus lanes. We need some serious enforcement to keep bus lanes clear, and some serious prioritisation of bus traffic.

Your views are fairly outdated. Lots of people, young and old, use buses, whether regularly or occasionally for commuting or for local trips. When the bus service works, like the 46A or 145 services, or the new 24 hour services on the 39 routes, they work really well.

We need to give them the space to work even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If it's A to B to C, they might.

Cars are a pain in the hole to maintain.

If someone lives along the N11 somewhere like Stillorgan and works in the Docklands, then bus to town, then Bus or Luas to Docklands is reasonable.

• I believe we need to have both underground and elevated commuter transport to keep separate from street level transport. With elegant design it could work out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I see your point but buses will never be given priority on the roads, at scale.

They will always be sharing with cars, for a multitude of reasons, including the size of the motorist lobby in Ireland.

Some people outside of teenagers and pensioners use the bus, sure.

But plenty more folks drive and have no intention of using the bus, which is why Dublin is the 2nd slowest city in the world for drivers.

Its reaasonable, but its still not as quick, comfortable or as convenient as driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did it measure the speed of traffic going in all directions? If someone departed Whitehall for Dundalk would that be the same speed as somone departing Malahide for O'Connell Street at the same time?

Cyclings quicker and more convenient than driving. Also cheaper and better for health.

For those that can, thats great and fair play.

But i can think of plenty that wouldnt consider, for a second, cyling in the pouring rain around industrial estates/dangerous roads in Dublin, let alone the M50.

It depends. Most of Dublin's within the M50 is a 30 minute cycle to the city center.

I wouldn't expect everyone to cycle or take the bus, but as I said originally the only short or medium term solution to Dublin's traffic is to encourage as much modal shift as possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

2 things the city needs:

1. Light rail from city to airport
    2. A free hop on/hop off fleet of buses that constantly loop around the quays. 2 - 5 mins at peak times, 5 to 10 mins off peak between them. Eventually these could be automated.

• Advertisement

An Underground could be delivered in the Medium term, but the journey has to start with a plan.

No harm in encouraging cycling or bus transport in the meantime, but you are only ever going to see small changes in modal transport. From Car to Bus/Bike.

This study is evidence of that.

Count the number of bikes/buses using an arterial road in Dublin and then count the number of cars using the road over the same period.

Bus travel is a sticking plaster approach that needs to be reinforced with a large scale PT system that is faster, cheaper and more efficient than driving, for the masses.

In other words, a mode of transport that people actually prefer vs driving.

There is really only an underground system thar can deliver that, especially when you consider the rapid rate of Dublins population growth.

Making public transport free doesn't get people to switch from cars to buses, based on experience from other countries.

So the money spent on making it free would be better spent on more buses, more drivers.

It depends on high you define "medium term", but we might have one Metro line in 10 years time. So, although great to have it, it's not a complete solution. We're still back to buses and bikes.

Copenhagen have added 4 Metro lines since 2002 and are planning a 5th.

That's the type of ambition we need. On top of that, they're mad for cycling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Buses to and from city center will still cost, these will just be free transfers so you can get across the city. Dublin bus was years behind in implementing a transfer system.

I guess I'll elaborate a little. Say you live on the south side and need to get to the north. You get a bus to one of the south quays, hop off and hop on a transfer bus to one of the north quays where you will hop off and on to a bus that covers the north area you are trying to go.

This way the quays becomes like a large hub for transfers to and from each side of the city. I know people will be complaining that it's an extra step but would you rather wait 15 mins for a single transfer or less than 10 for 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Building a Dublin underground? Well I would say that most people here will be retired or using a flying-wheelchair by the time an underground is built in Dublin... The home of the world's most expensive and still not finished Hospital... You may as well hope for a Solar-powered Monorail while you're at it...

There's some here who will bitterly hold onto their cars for city transport and others who will tell you the bicycle will solve all our traffic problems.. Neither is correct....and will still be on here in 20 years with both sides arguing that they know best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

The solution is Monorail!

We'll have one Metro line in 10 years. I'm pretty certain of that.

Bikes are still part of the solution. So are buses, Dart, walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

London has underground and overground and lots of buses. Plus the Boris bikes. Still a lot slower for drivers that Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I live close enough to Dublin and I'm lucky enough to be on a public transport link but I wouldn't ever in my wildest dreams use my car to drive into Dublin City centre during the day. I've driven it at night the odd time to collect herself from a night out but that's it.

Plenty of my friends/acquaintances drive in there all the time and give out about it. They're part of the problem, they shouldn't be driving in. They live near me and have same options I have.

That's not to say everyone has same options, but if people are too lazy to walk to a bus stop or train station (I have both) I'm not going to entertain their giving out about traffic.

I'd love to know the number that drive in when there are very viable options available to them but I'd guess it's at least half the cars in there during the day really shouldn't be.

Lots of people look down on the Bus. They view it as for poor people. I'm sure there's loads of people who can get the bus but don't.

Cycling isn't attractive to lots of people despite its benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

Just watching the BBC London news London is the slowest city centre in the world but they are blaming the 20mph speed limits introduced by the mayor.

My neighbour for example works in city centre. Drives past the bus stop about 3 mins walkfrom our houses and the train station about 6 mins walk away and into traffic to get on to the dual carriageway then sits in more traffic all the way into Dublin about 12kms or so I'd say it takes him way over 90 mins. Parks his car all day, for free mind you, then repeats on the way back. And gives out that traffic is mental.

Men are status oriented and cars are intrinsic with status.

Buses are perceived as being for poor people but really they're just like a train or Metro, so they're for everyone.

I like reading and am in my own world, so I prefer the bus to driving. I find driving stressful anyway.

I can see why people don't like cycling cos they might have to wear a suit and be well groomed. Also our weather is **** and bikes can be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Considering the bulk of that money was likely spent on infrastructure designed to slow us down further, it makes perfect sense. The question is - should it have been?

What does that say to you? Probably the fact that being sat in your own car hardly moving is still better than being sandwiched onto a jam packed bus with standing room only along with 90 other people...

Buses won't be standing room only where we would get on. It's stop 1 after the terminus

Buses will never be given priority on the roads at scale until we actually decide to give buses priority on the roads at scale.

Who ever said that "the bicycle will solve all our traffic problems"?

Exactly, I agree about the buses.

But thars my point.

Buses having their own, segregated roads for 100% of the route is just not going to happen.

Therefore, buses will never have an unobstrucuted route in the way an Undergroumd system/Monorail can have.

Therefore, it is almost never going to be quicker to travel by bus vs car, whereas underground travel can be much faster than a car.

• Advertisement

So no one actually said this then, that's what I thought.

Advertisement