Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2023/2024 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS ensembles rolling out and it looks like a fairly substantial swing towards milder conditions particularly between the 17th and 19th of January. Very few -10Cs left in the ensemble graph compared to the 6z which was the most promising GFS ensemble run.

This mild wobble is a week away so with everything the GFS has thrown at us over the past week this could easily swing back to a colder solution. I believe we will be left scratching our heads until this weekend. Of all the potential cold spells we have dealth with here over the past decade, this has to be one of the most stomach churning rollercoasters we have had with a massive amount of patience required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I don't really think they have moved towards the gfs. More they have changed a little. Every model was saying the same thing last week . Some wobbled a bit (ecm) others not much. But the gfs has thrown every thing at us over the last 4 days or so. It might be right about elements of how next week work out but I nearly put that down to luck at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

It's going for a pint tonight @Gonzo. Will be in flying form around 930

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

If memory serves me correct, you got a great snowfall in your location in Clare the last time we had snow. It was quite localised and lasted a while too. When was that exactly?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Clare (410ft asl)

That's correct @Cluedo Monopoly. Snowed for two days during the second week of March followed by 36 hours of dry weather and then a snow to rain event that dumped another few inches. For what it's worth, it was the AROME model that got it spot on at the time due to its high resolution modelling in the short term. It will be the one I'll be turning to next week should the situation arise. UKMO and GEM 12z keep any low systems to our south while the GFS has the system colliding with colder air next Wednesday. A lot to play out on the specifics yet. Need to get the cold to dig in first.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Anything I see on X is for a notable snow event next week? UKMO seems to be really digging in!

Clare (410ft asl)

They can keep digging in as long as we are digging out next week.

It really is boom or bust for the UKMO next week. Incredibly bullish

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well it does the most daily runs so there is bound to be variation, but despite the variation it looks like it maybe right about the waning of heights over Greenland and us relying more so on wedges of heights. However there is still a possibility that it swings back to the morning run on future output.

Even with this current run there is a chance of a snow event or two, but like WolfEeire said it will be a nowcast, as it so often is, to determine what areas get snow from any frontal event next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭squarecircles

in that scenario around two thirds of the country see no snow what so ever, which would be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

UKMO mixing in more Atlantic influence too. All very finely balanced.

• Advertisement

Haha. And then it will probably all change again by the morning. As Gonzo said this feels like the longest chase we've had in recent times. I am just hoping somewhere gets a dumping next week. As long as the UKMO remains bullish there will surely be further chances in the weeks ahead in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Clare (410ft asl)

Solid start to ECM. Nice shape on the northerly on Sunday

ECm too goes for that milder sector on Tuesday then goes for a slider low for Wednesday that skirts the bottom half of the country with likely snow on its leading edge and as it pulls away. The Cork snow shield will be effective here (sorry Rebels). Ps....this is not a forecast, just a commentary on this particular run)

The colder air pushed further north on this run leaving the northern third of the island under the coldest airmass. Greenland high is being torn apart too. Besides that all good 😶

The crumb of comfort i offer is that the low systems is quite flat so its final position will likely be further south. The Iberian heights again are a curse!

All in all, it isn't a million miles off (200 or so in fact) what the UKMO is showing and the pattern is in keeping with the UKMO's forecast for next week

Post edited by WolfeEire on

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I really hope we aren't starting to p**s against the wind with this. Once the signs started a few days ago that the Atlantic would likely start to effect things I have been fearing only getting some type of watered down cold spell.

Well at least there is loads of room for upgrades..

It's always a bad sign when you see progged heights over Greenland begin to wane.

The ECM has unfortunately followed the GFS with having the system go too far north, initially it looked like the cold would filter back south but we end up with the worst outcome. A snow to rain is a poor showing if that's what we end up with

Clare (410ft asl)

Let's just wait for the ensembles. It's only one run.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Every day we take 2 steps forward we then take 4 steps back followed by another day with a step forward and then another 2 steps back and so on. If this all falls apart we're not losing a whole lot tbh. In February can we please have a nice clean easy ticket to the siberian expressway. I probably sound like a broken record at this stage but northerlies nearly always lead to big disappointment for us they are usually cold and dry or unsettled with lots of Atlantic mixing and we end up with an underwhelming pear shape. There is just too much going wrong for the properly bitter unstable northerly that we all seek.

Still time for all this to correct itself to a noteworthy event but my patience is really wearing thin with this event. I'm getting so close to completely throwing in the towel on this one and placing all bets on February instead. The second half of January curse continues.

Hard to argue the models have taken a turn for the worse. But with all the uncertainty with the stratosphere and any potential split who knows how it will pan out. My main concern MT hasn't really bought into this amd sryan has been quite to

I hope it's a massive outlier, but that's two poor runs now. And the GFS ensembles have trended the wrong way. If we don't see a upgrade in the next 24 hours. I would expect to see a change in the UKMO text outlook for next week. Hopefully not in the longer term outlook, though.

• Advertisement
    Clare (410ft asl)

JMA

No mild sector, advancing low or significant loss of heights in the JMA until. Here is Sunday to next Saturday.

KMA

Cold from Sunday morning through the 10 period.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I would argue we've not taken any steps forward for a large number of days now. Once we seen that GFS and ECM wobble late last week, that was the writing on the wall for me with regards to this spell. Too much marginality, I don't like these setups and there is a bit of personal bias here being that I live quite literally within 2km from my closest coast so it takes a lot for me to get snow without going to chase it elsewhere.

Fair play and dos to anyone analysing the models regularly on this, especially WolfeEire. However, I can't get any excitement out of any of it personally until we see a nice Griceland to Scandi high drawing in an airmass from the Urals at day 4 and that is not going to happen so I'm sitting this one out and whatever happens, happens.

I've been wrong before and that's not to say I am right - March 2023 surprised me for example and I enjoyed that period though we don't talk about the rest of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Quick comparison of the ECM and GFS projection for the 17th of Jan, 48 hours ago vs now.

t192 chart for 17th Jan;

GFS

ECM

t168 for the same day;

GFS

ECM

I think the GFS op is a clear winner. 48 hours ago, it was way out on its own with no support from the other models or its own ensembles. So a failed easterly this week, now maybe a failed northerly next week. Hopefully a failed SW'erly next. :D

But you are not that far from the Wicklow Mountains. So you perhaps can still get your snow fix next week. You had some fantastic pictures from up there last year.

I want to ask you a question: Why do models seem to continually prog a Greenland high only for the signal to wane closer to the time. I ask because model technology has improved over the years, but we still see this time again. Is it because they can't factor in Shortwaves that might develop to scupper them. That doesn't seem a plausible explanation, though .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I'll take snow on high ground too. I usually have a snow climb over Xmas but not possible in Xmas 2023. I have been looking at the Mountain Forecast site and it is showing significant cold (wind-chill) but little or no snow.

For example Galtymore at 917m

Galtymore Weather Forecast (917m) (mountain-forecast.com)

Worryingly it is showing 11mm of rain on Tuesday 16th which wasn't there yesterday.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No doubt I will be off to Wicklow, it's a tradition of mine at this point! Even did it for the joke of a spell in late Nov/early Dec 2023 and got some slight snow there but not a lot.

It's purely an overreaction to background signals I believe. New data is inputted into their supercomputers and the models run away with the idea to an extreme extent initially and as more data comes in, this extreme signal wanes to something more realistic. Models still have their biases to remember when viewing and considering them however especially at an extended lead time such as the GEM being known to overamplify. The ECM used to be known for this too, who remembers its phantom easterly days in years like 2016-17? Not sure that problem exists as much anymore. The GFS still has inherent problems with blowing up depressions in strange fashions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I'll be honest, as a clueless bystander, i've never seen a thread on here so active yet been so unclear about what's likely to happen 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It’s a serious rollercoaster that has my mind boggled!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement