Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Unfortunately, you're right. Starmer's fence-sitting is the strongest hand Labour can play - so long as their vision goes no further than the next election. Tories will do a clear-out, reset, and 5 years from now, Labour will be back in a two-way tie, and all the current Tory **** policies will be back on the table with a fresh coat of paint.

Labour have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to shift the Overton window to the left, reversing a two-decades-old slide to the right. The Tories aren't getting re-elected no matter what Labour do, but instead of presenting a radical re-thinking of society and moving the discussion, they're going with "Labour: we're not as **** as the Tories" for fear of possibly offending anyone

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Promising more "Fiscal responsibility" (Austerity) and more privatisation of the NHS. Not Tories.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Again what do you expect.

The idea that there is an argument for any sort of return or debate on Brexit is a fantasy that only exists in the minds of those viewing from afar.

Implementing Brexit better than the Tories and dealing with the EU and further a field as adults who understand the reality of the UKs position is the only tactic to play.

Again? Have I suggested somewhere I wasn't aware of, that Starmer should ask to rejoin the European Union, or are you arguing against an idea I've never put forward?

Edit: I have zero expectations for Starmer.

Double edit: Anyway, it's only politics, I was just reminiscing with my brother about the time we both stood in local elections for the Lib Dems in the late 90s (won't bore you with the reason why I stood) but I got just over 300 votes. Came 4th*

Happy New Year!

*Out of 4.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Chris Skidmore resigning. For once for something valguely honourable..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Chris Skidmore – the former net zero tsar and ex-energy minister – has said he will resign the Conservative whip and stand down as an MP next week.

In a scathing exit statment, he said he could not continue as a Tory or “condone” the government because Mr Sunak’s new legislation “promotes the production of new oil and gas”.

As a reference for the rest on the thread :)

This will be the third contested seat in early 2024 this year by the looks of it.

And the battle for Mr Skidmore’s seat is one of three by-election the Tory party could lose in the early months of 2024.

Peter Bone’s Wellingborough seat will soon see a contest, after the Tory MP was removed by in a recall petition following his suspension for upheld sexual misconduct claims.

And Scott Benton’s Blackpool South seat could also be up for grabs, after his 35-day suspension over a sting which exposed him offering to lobby for gambling investors.

All taken from the independent.co.uk article and I don't see anyone of them going particularly well for Mr Sunak causing yet more push for a replacement... I know he's stated it will be in second half by A Different Bias on Youtube brings up a good point that with the (very) delayed British implementation of controls step 2 going live in May (step 1 is only "forms have to exist" but no controls are done going live end of Jan) waiting until November would suicidal as it will drive shortages & costs (with UK agencies not being ready either) to be felt (on top of everything else going wrong). I could easily see him losing these three seats being used as an attempt by him to "lead his party" by taking it all into election frenzy instead of talk of replacing him and go for an earlier election instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Skidmore's seat was Labour 92-10 so they'd likely get it back

His seat is Kingswood which is disappearing in the boundary changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The by-election will be on the existing boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The tories really don't give a fcuk anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

that pic is of a sweedish football manager called erricksson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the guy in them pics is a sweedish football manager called ericksson

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That's the joke... Bone played away from home, much like aul Sven, but Sven didn't try and install Nancy/Ulrika as the English manager after he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

They don't, but it will be interesting to see if the electorate do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Conservatives whinge about sunak (and others) getting community notes added to their posts when they tell lies, Put up a post begging Musk to make it stop.

Post gets a community note 🤣🤣🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I saw that earlier. The "leading barrister" (always a red flag) is a Spectator writer. It must be weird being a British conservative where you have all of the power and yet have no agency while always being the victim.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I was just wondering whether they mixed up barrister and barista..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

What are the chances of Labour - if it wins the general election - fulfilling its promise to repeal the Troubles Legacy Act?

On their current form, for rolling back ANY kind of meaningful commitment to ANYTHING, no chance.

I'm a bit more optimistic. Most British ppl will say either "what?" or "meh" and the Starmer gov't will need a few easy wins..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm not starry-eyed about Labour in general, but I think the chances of this particular commitment being delivered are quite high. Almost everyone oppposes the Bill; it's one of the very few things that unites all five of the major political parties in NI, and it's also opposed by victims groups, survivors groups, relatives groups, human rights organisations, the Irish government, the US administration, and many voices in the EU and the UN. About the only groups that do not oppose it are the Conservative Party and British army veterans groups. If the Bill isn't repealed then the UK government (of whichever party) is going to have to defend at least one, and probably several, legal challenges in various international tribunals, with the attendant reputational damage.

Plus, it's a commitment that Labour has reiterated more than once over a period of several months, so there's a reputational cost to Labour in not delivering.

So this seems like a no-brainer. There's a considerable cost, domestically and internationally, to not delivering on this commitment, and minimal cost to delivering. The people most likely to be upset if Labour repeals the Act are largely people who wouldn't vote Labour in a fit anyway; the political cost of pissing off these people is negligible.

HOW can they have form for rolling anything back when they have NO POWER to do so ?

Didn't think an explanation of the word commitment was needed, but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What effect, if any, would Ireland winning it's case against the UK have?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No democratic country wants to be shown to have broken international law and conventions, except the Braverman's of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Depends on how things pan out. There's a range of possible outcomes.

Last time round, when IRL took the UK to the court arguing that interrogation techniques used in NI constituted torture or inhuman or degrading treatment, it became apparent at a certain point that the case was not going well for the UK. (The parties to the case generally get a sense, from the questions the judges ask and from the issues they ask the parties to address, which way the court is leaning.) The UK then informed the court that it was no longer using the techniques, and gave an undertaking not to reintroduce them.

This meant that when, in due course, the court rules that the techniques did constitute inhuman and degrading treatment, it did not consider it necessary to make an order directing the UK not to use them. So the court's judgment was purely declaratory; there was no command addressed to the UK which the UK would have to either violate or comply with (either of which would have been problematic for the UK in different ways).

Especially as Labour has already committed to repeal the legislation, I'd expect something similar here. Odds are that the UK will repeal the legislation and then argue that this make the proceedings moot, and that the court does not need to rule at all. I doubt that argument will succeed, but it will at least avoid the possibility of the court directing the UK to repeal the legislation, or declaring the UK to be in breach of the Convention if it does not.

But, leaving aside the specifics of this case, in general how are judgments of the ECHR enforced? Enforcement is a matter for the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, which is a body comprised of the Ministers for Foreign Affairs of the 46 member states of the Council. The Committee has the job of deciding what measures are necessary to give effect to a court judgment. Depending on the nature and circumstances of the particular breach, the appropriate measures could be almost anything — the payment of damages, the return of seized property, release of prisoners, changes in law or in policy or administrative practices. Hypothetically, if the UK hadn't already repealed the Act and the Court found that it violated the Convention, the Committee of Ministers could decide that the UK must either amend that Act so that it no longer violated the Convention or simply repeal the Act, and also to make whatever changes in policy and practice were necessary to ensure that investigating and prosecuting officers did not effectively treat members of the armed forces as having immunity from prosecution.

What happens if the a state fails or refuses to implement measures ordered by the Committee of Ministers? The Committee can look to member states to take appropriate action against the recalcitrant state — e.g. refusing to extradite people to the UK on the grounds that its investigative and prosecution systems did not meet the standards required by the Convention. Ultimately the recalcitrant state could be expelled from the Council of Europe (though, as in the case of Russia, a state can withdraw rather than face the ignominy of expulsion).

This is all very hypothetical. The UK has too much reputation and standing at stake ever to allow things to reach this pass. As already outlined, unless there's a coup d'etat and Nigel Farage has become Reichsfuhrer Grossbritannien, the UK would act to head off enforcement measures by repealing or amending the law before being forced to do so.

Surely, Starmer won't want to be accused of disrespecting the British military - and that accusation would be a bad look for any British PM. Those who serve in the military can't make comments about politics publicly but they and their loved ones can still vote. Would he really undo the extension of release after 2 years in prison of those convicted of 'scheduled offences' under the NI Sentences Act 1998 to anyone convicted of Troubles crimes that took place before 1973?

The throwing of British military veterans of the Troubles under a bus might cause an outcry in Britain. As for the making of promises by a Labour opposition leader, Tony Blair promised that he would renationalise Britain's railways .....

• Advertisement

It won't because it will go unnoticed by the general public. This is a way bigger story in Ireland than it is in England.

Advertisement