Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

It's always being about keeping face, being able to say they wanted me in England just to have an angle to squirm back into rte at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

It could simply be that the only listeners who are interacting with him are the Irish. Not only is that a bad sign, it's creating a bigger problem. If his UK listeners hear nothing but Irish comments and Irish references, they'll quickly decide they don't belong in the club. It's like a reverse Atlantic 252, where a lot of its shows were broadcast from Meath but it always seemed like a British station.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

For example it should be an art gallery. I've never heard of an art museum.

The Irish Museum Of Modern Art, in Kilmainham, Dublin, is very well known.

Internationally, you'd have MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) in New York, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, also in New York, the UCL Art Museum in London, Musée d'Orsay in Paris and the various separate Museums of Contemporary Art in Chicago, Los Angles, Sydney and Tokyo.

That's just to name a very few, very famous, art museums with the word "museum" in their name. It's not to mention that the term "art museum" is also commonly used by "art galleries" themselves, or by people talking about art galleries.

So no, there's absolutely nothing unusual about using the term "art museum", and the claim that you've never heard of the term is indeed surprising.

But I think you have of course heard of the term, and you're just trying too hard to nitpick, but not quite pulling it off.

There's 101 valid things to criticise Tubridy for, but using the term "art museum" is in no-way one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

i think I’m moving towards the conspiracy theory of all of this is - the show, the paddy power sponsorship - is all just an elaborate plot to get back into RTÉ 😀

I mean no reasonable person could call the show structure/design good, regardless of presenter- it’s a complete pig in a poke so there has to be more to it than that - on any level it makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 55,507 ✭✭✭✭walshb

She is a genuine bookworm....

Tubridy hasn't the patience or intellect to be a genuine bookworm. All silly childish reading, and pretending he's devouring real content. Obsessed with the idea of being a bookworm is all.

Another favorite bullshit of his is pretending that he's some U.S. political anorak...absolute spoofer

• Advertisement

I remember an author (can't remember exactly who, it was a decade and more ago) being asked about the rise of ereaders and kindles and if they thought they'd negatively impact on reading, and their reply was they they didn't care how people read, as long as they read.

The whole bookish persona is very much an affectation, and naught to do with literature of any type.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Did he not claim to have read Finnegans Wake ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Title - legendary!!: "The ever-charming Andrea Corr joins the legendary Ryan Tubridy on Virgin Radio" 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Either way Steve the Builder or whatever his name was is hardly interested in going to an Art Museum on a visit to Dublin.

• Advertisement

That of course is a completely different criticism.

And it may well be valid. But, it should be noted, being a builder doesn't prevent someone from being interested in art. In fact Damien Hirst worked on building sites in London before studying art, and becoming one of the most successful artists of our time.

If "Steve" is a stereotypical builder who's just interested in finding a pub, he hardly has to phone a radio show to find one in Dublin.

And in any case, even though the interaction between a caller and a host may seem to be a private conversation, only relevant to them - the fact is that it's a very public conversation, and Tubridy isn't just talking to "Steve", he's talking to the whole of the UK.

Who knows, maybe Dublin's various and esteemed art museums will see an uplift in visors over the coming months? The mention certainly can't have done any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Art museums would be a minority interest. He needs to know his audience. I doubt the average Chris Evans listener goes to Art Museums on holidays. He should have said Guinness Storehouse and moved on, instead of trying to appear intellectual and shoe-horning arty farty stuff into everything. He's over compensating at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The British don't like change , they'd have to warm to him, and it'd hard to do that on that kind of show and him being hyper

Isn't the likes of Hirst the RT of art, promoted far beyond any reasonable logic?

I never did understand all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah a few more sponsorship mentions are required:😀

Guinness Storehouse

Waterford Crystal factory

English Market Cork

Kilkenny Castle

Giants Causeway

The Little Museum Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Far be it from me to psychoanalyze anyone from a position of complete ignorance of the field, but hey, it's an internet forum, lets go!

My tuppenny bit on this invented persona of "man of culture" from someone who we all know is doing olympic level spoofing is that Tubs is from a long line of achievers, high political office holders, academics etc. His own father was a MD / psychiatrist. I'd imagine there was always pressure on Tubs to do well academically and professionally. Perhaps the aspirations for him, whether explicit or perceived, weren't a good fit for him but he didn't want to be the lightweight or the eegit, the black sheep of the Andrews clan (that title taken by David McSavage!) so he has decided to keep up a facade of being a bookish, culture vulture

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭backwards_man

Regarding the bookworm persona, I think going back a few years, he just needed A persona as he seems to be not charasmatic or even interesting, he is bland, meh, so he needed "something" so bookworm it was because he reads a few books and so NK planted the seed for him to write a book, to go along with the persona so he did that, guaranteed publishing deal in Ireland, and now that all the persona he has. but it was built on a charade and he is milking it to death because he actuallly isnt interesting, or funny, or particularly clever, so bookworm is all he has. But anyone who is actually a bookworm can see through it. Ah I dont like tearing him down but thats my take on it. He isnt the first to make up an act to make a living.

Regarding the Irish guests, i bet he is desperately trying to get Cillian Murphy and Barry Keoghan on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Unfair on McSavage though. Probably not terribly likeable but undoubtedly witty. The silver spoon he was born with wal similar to Tubs' but , unlike the Dainty Little bugger, he effectively told his family to shove that spoon up their holes and went his own way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

A lot of writers (professionals) and readers have a very different attitude to that of Tubridy. This is because Amazon Kindle allows a book to be sold globally without the hassle of printing and distribution. This has led to some series appearing on Amazon that precisely target their markets. (One that I can think of is currently up to book 70.)

A lot of print books can get remaindered (copies that don't sell are marked down and sold off by the pound or kilo to bookshops like the old Chapters bookshop in Dublin). From the reader's viewpoint, Amazon's site is always open. It is also possible to publish an ebook edition and a print on demand edition with Amazon. Don't think that Tubridy would be capable of doing that himself as he doesn't appear to have the skills. His books were with large publishers.

He probably has one good book in him: (with apologies to Spike Milligan) "RTE - My part in its downfall.".

Regards...jmcc

Absolutely not. Hirst, as anyone versed in contemporary conceptual art would know, is a recognised, genuine talent.

If I were to compare Tubridy to any artist, I would say he’s like Jack Vettriano. Competent, professional, successful in his own right, but unchallenging: basically wallpaper that appeals to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Only one good book? So Patrick and the President was just a warm up? (for anyone who hasn't seen it before check the illustrations in that link)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps he'd be a children's author though they'd probably get bored too. :) The illustrations should come with a spoiler alert as there seems to be an ex-RTE presenter in some of them pretending to be a journalist.

Regards...jmcc

Absolutely not. Hirst, as anyone versed in contemporary conceptual art would know, is a recognised, genuine talent.

As anyone versed.... isn't that as pretentious as the bookman?

I think of lot of what we're seeing is a meltdown of hubris inflated by dedicated funding, be it in joke arts circles or the RTE canteen.

There’s nothing pretentious about recognising that one should understand a topic before dismissing it out of hand. Ignorance isn’t a virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why would Virgin be going along with this plot? What's in it for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I don't know how to include more than one quote in a post so I'll improvise.

@humberklog - lots of people on his Instagram account living in a parallel universe think the new show is the business.

@techman1 - I wouldn't agree that culturally he is dublin 4. Culturally he is Fianna Fail. 

@Expunge - Yes, I'd say the whole thing must be traumatic for him. Leaving home at the age of 50 (elderly mother etc.) to live in a rented gaff and having to sing for his supper, possibly for the first time ever. A lonely station, no pun intended. What's driving him? He has had years of gravy from RTE, money banked... why not amble about, do an occasional podcast, light the Christmas tree in Clifden and enjoy the fruits of his fortune. Instead he has schlepped off to London on a hiding to nothing. I suppose a year there might broaden his horizons. And he's bound to meet some interesting people on the flights over and back.

Perhaps Hirst is as overvalued as Tubridy, but that's for threads with dedicated fans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement