Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,003 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The recently introduced deposit scheme for food and drink cans is causing chaos at supermarkets, NU.nl reported.

Long queues and malfunctioning processing machines seem to be the main problem, for instance at Jumbo, which has apologised to customers at a number of branches, the news site said

Remember now.

"Convenient for Everyone"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

“at Jumbo”

more selective quoting. It doesn’t prove your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,644 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unofficial figures not actually from the DRS operator, which has not reported figures yet as the full scheme only rolled out from March 2023. You do appear to be digging for figures that make things look bad, going for the only scheme you can find bad (unofficial) numbers for. Selective use of figures is outright bad science.

The Netherlands has 3x the population and the number of 'collection points' appears to count three machines in a row as three, not one as they are here; so its a similar number of RVMs per capita.

People in Oregon, Denmark, Germany, Slovakia etc adapted pretty damn quickly to taking bottles home with them; as will happen here.

If you want to make it sound like you're being crucified by such an imposition, go ahead; but its not how its going to work out for the bulk of people

You need to read peoples posts more carefully.

The Netherlands has 3x the population and the number of 'collection points' appears to count three machines in a row as three,

Have you citation for that?

Even so, 28,000 compared to less than 2,500 is not the same allowing for population.

If you want to make it sound like you're being crucified by such an imposition, go ahead; but its not how its going to work out for the bulk of people

The article is not my opinion, it refutes your claim that people on the go will use these machines or bring the waste home with them.

In Holland so far they won't and they aren't.

If you have figures that dispute that, my all means fire them up.

Because I seem to be the only one producing data here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Prove your figures - you're just pulling them out of thin air. Like many Green initiatives now, there's a lot of supposition based on inaccurate statistics. And don't go quoting stats from Netherlands or Germany - this is Ireland. Let's start with the current baseline figures for recycling these cans and bottles. What to the nearest % are these rates currently??

• Administrators Posts: 53,748 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you really think people who buy a bottle of coke are going to carry the empty around with them so they can later find a machine and get 15cent. Literally 15 cent in cash too, the sort of coins that nobody really wants.

That bottle will go into the bin, same as it always has.

My extremely crap Dutch plus Google Translate looking at the various bits of the Statiegeld site. The site to sign up to be a collection site talks about having multiple points at your location, e.g. multiple RVMs each counted as one. On day 1, they talked about "12000 points in supermarkets over 200sqm" when they are nowhere near 12000 supermarkets in the Netherlands (and plenty are smaller than 200sqm). The 200sqm matters as that is the floor area above which you must have an RVM.

They very clearly count each RVM as a collection point; and considering I've never seen a single RVM install anywhere in Ireland yet - always doubles and triples - your 2500 becomes 5000-7500 immediately. For a country with a third of the population.

Yes, because thats what they do everywhere else. This isn't think, its know - I've seen and experienced how these work. And when you bring the larger amount from home, it won't be small change levels so it being 15c small change is irrelevant.

Again - have you ever, ever been somewhere with a scheme like this before?

If not, all you are saying is that you won't bother. That's not something you can expand to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

CEO of re-turn gave the 2000 figure earlier on The Last Word so maybe we should stick with the official figure

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

This is the most sensible post I have seen

I quote ". It is absolutely bizarre that in an effort to improve recycling we have decided that we need to stop people doing something that's very convenient and very efficient, in the hope that some other people who can't be bothered with the convenient method will suddenly be motivated to follow the inconvenient method."

your 2500 becomes 5000-7500 immediately. For a country with a third of the population.

By your logic, that should be divided by 2/3 not multiplied.

Either way you have no citation for your claim.

Except its completely wrong. Nobody is being stopped from using their domestic recycling bin at all.

People are being disincentivised, but they absolutely are not being stopped. And your quoting a poster who is trying to downplay the incentive so presumably they aren't even being disincentivised at all; making their post pointless as well as wrong.

You didn’t read the post in question at all I see.

Nobody is being stopped but they are financially punished for recycling via their recycling bin. This is beyond dispute.

you can recycle at 100% efficiency in your house but if you do so via your green bin you are going to be financially hit as a thank you, despite your decision having zero environmental impact.

The 28000 needs to be divided to match our population - you keep giving the Dutch 28000 RVM figure, but they have 3x the population.

The 2500 collection points each with 2-3 RVMs is 5000-7500 RVMs. I've actually not been to a big supermarket in ages - only Supervalus, Aldis and Lidls, which have the twin or triple machines - to see if some of them go to 4+ installs.

This is very simple maths.

I was replying to the bit that was being selectively quoted and vaunted (which specifically uses the word stop, the word you're now trying to deny), and is completely wrong.

You are trying to claim the deposit is sufficient large that it is a punishment, but yet also so small it won't encourage people to bring stuff home. Which is it? Punishment or irrelevant small change? You can't have both, its one or the other - pick one please.

Your are trying to make two, utterly incompatible arguments.

There is 2000 odd machines, not 2000 odd machines multiplied by 3.

You invented that for some reason.

So adjusted for population they have 75-80% more machines than us which still doesn't cure the problem you are claiming it will.

You’re missing the point still.

One bottle when I’m out and about? 15 cent, who cares.

A bin full of cans? Different story obviously.

The environmental impact of me putting 100 cans in my bin vs 100 cans in the machine is the same (bin is probably better as it saves journeys, though we’ll ignore this for now). But for putting it in the bin, which again, is absolutely perfect environmentally, I would have to take the financial hit.

This is the major flaw in this system. We are trying to stop people using a very convenient and easy method of recycling and this is just stupid.

We should encourage more recycling by making it easier, not harder.

There are 2000 odd locations in Ireland, most with 2 or more machines.

The Dutch have 28000-ish machines.

This is not the problem that you want it to be.

• Advertisement

No, I'm pointing out that you are making (two sets of) two incompatible arguments. And you still haven't answered my question about whether you have ever seen such a system in operation so in default I can only assume you haven't.

This is not making recycling harder. These systems work, and well, everywhere they are implemented.

Of course it’s making recycling harder. Good grief.

Compare how you recycle your bottles and cans today vs how you’ll do it in future. In no world can the new system be described as easier, or more convenient. It is, unquestionably, more awkward and difficult.

I addressed your point around the cost.

You're back to the idea that it stops people doing what they do now, despite arguing that people will continue to do so when outside. This doesn't work. Nothing is being made harder, except in your head.

Your arguments are comically incoherent and you have clearly never experienced such a scheme in the first place.

Nope.

That figure has been scaled back to 2000 according to the CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I see in my local area the mayor smaller shops are doing how return scheme as they are exempt because of floor space. On speaking to one shopper owner all he has to do is display a poster to where the nearest recycling machine is .. he presumed he would be exempt from charging the extra on cans and plastic but he has to charge the extra even though he wouldn’t be required to take back empties.

He said he is being charged the extra 15c by suppliers so under terms of the scheme he has to pass on the extra charge to customers.

I had wrongly presumed all shops had to take back empties even if they had a machine or not ..

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

No idea who the poster I quoted is nor their views.

But this new system is a right pain in the arse. We have recycle brown glass regular bins. This new system means that I will simply shop in the north and continue to recycle in a very easy manner for my family.

This system is pure inconvenience and a revenue generation tool for whoever got the contract for running this brown envelope sham.

So Ireland's approx 800 mid to large size supermarkets (over 200 Supervalu, over 150 Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, over 100 Dunnes); each of which has two to three RVMs adds up to 902 does it?

That number is sites, sorry.

So the CEO and the actual funding model is wrong and you are right?

I think we are done are we?

🙄

There's no contract as such as (drinks producers were told to form an operator), and the scheme is likely to lose money rather than make it - if there's full compliance it will lose massive amounts of money; at the expected rate it might break even.

• Advertisement

No, I think you are scrabbling, desperately, for figures when you know you're in a hole. And are now relying on something that is clearly a site count not an RVM count.

Did you do the maths to notice that the figure per supermarket is significantly higher than per small shop, because it is for more machines? I don't think you did, because your argument falls apart; or if you did you continued to post it in knowingly bad faith - so its either poor research or bad faith here.

The amount of extremely badly put together arguments with bad science in terms of data on this thread is staggering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement